GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
6,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

It doesn’t get any more All-American than two, Camaro versus Mustang. On street, strip, or road circuit, this has been a renewable competitive competitive resource since the first Camaro made its belated appearance in September of 1966. We say belated because by that time the Mustang had been on sale for almost 2 and a half years, and there were well over a million of them galloping around America’s highways and byways . Since then, we’ve seen these two square off in a variety of performance shoot outs....

Video: 1999 Camaro vs Mustang Comparo

·
Registered
364 Posts
The Muscle Mustangs and Fast Ford's magazine article back then about this same thing was hilarious. They couldn't fathom how they were getting high 12s out of the Camaro whilst the turd GT was barely rubbing out mid 14s or some nonsense.

It ended up being more of a fluff piece on the Chevy with them ending it by begging Ford to do something about it and stop saddling them with anemic crap under the GT hood.

Ford finally decided to respond over a decade later in 2011.....

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
They said the Mustang outsold the Camaro and Firebird 2 to 1! Ouch.......
I had no idea that this Mustang sold that much better.....

·
Registered
5,300 Posts
They said the Mustang outsold the Camaro and Firebird 2 to 1! Ouch.......
I had no idea that this Mustang sold that much better.....
They were giving them away, one of my college friends got one, he could afford it while flipping burgers..

·
Registered
508 Posts
As a daily driver not much interested in going over the speed limit, I love the understated 2014 Chevy SS from Holden and also the 2014 Mustang for mainly City driving .. The Camaro Z28 of years ago was low with long overhangs but it never caught my fancy , for some reason . The Mustang , then had a neat growl to it and was shorter and felt it was sportier , to me , anyway .

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
I just can't stand the bloated looks of that gen f body, or the new one for that matter. That gen mustang "only" gets 14 flat in the quarter. Still as fast as my dads old GTO he won't stop talking about.

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
Camaro by a (big) nose, but not a huge fan of either of this year for different reasons. Strangely, both have giant front overhangs for RWD cars...

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
The Muscle Mustangs and Fast Ford's magazine article back then about this same thing was hilarious. They couldn't fathom how they were getting high 12s out of the Camaro whilst the turd GT was barely rubbing out mid 14s or some nonsense.

It ended up being more of a fluff piece on the Chevy with them ending it by begging Ford to do something about it and stop saddling them with anemic crap under the GT hood.

Ford finally decided to respond over a decade later in 2011.....
The 2003 Mach 1 was competitive; however, the 2003 Cobra finally bested the Camaro's performance. Granted, the Camaro was out of production by model year 2003, but nonetheless, the "Terminator" was finally able to beat the LS1-powered fbody.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
I can't find it, but I just watched one of those old comparisons of the 1982 Mustang GT and Z28. I love watching them, though it reminds me how damned old I am given I had just gotten my drivers License that year.

·
Banned
2,267 Posts
I really liked the 1998 SVT Cobra. Almost bought one. The '95-98 style Mustang looks much better, tighter and leaner, than the 1999 restyle. Style wise I take the 5th gen F-bodies over the '99-04 Mustang every day.

But yeah, Mustang has always been a little weaker power wise than Camaro. And that's in ALL trims, comparing apples to apples.

Even in the dark ages of cars, the early 80s when both had anemic 4 bangers as standard equipment, the Camaro's Iron Duke had more torque than whatever the F Ford was building at the time. Both engines were still sorry excuses for internal combustion engines, but at least on a good day a Camaro or Firebird could merge on to traffic.

·
Registered
19,629 Posts
That poorly designed cup holder in the Mustang brought me back to my equally poorly designed cup holder in my 1994 Grand Prix GTP. It was so shallow that you'd have to hold onto the drink even in the slightest corner or lightly braking. Glad we don't seem to see major mistakes like that too often anymore; well, except for BMW :) http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f38/bmw-i3-has-serious-design-defect-182657/

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
Trans Am.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I still have my '99 Z28. Best vehicle I've ever owned - cheap interior, rattles, and all.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts