GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

It took Saturn a while to realize that slowly but surely, the market was shifting from subcompacts to compacts, and then to midsize cars. But the light finally dawned, and the S now had a big sister: the L. Searching through its worldwide inventory of parts and technical solutions...

Video: 2000 Saturn L-Series Test Drive

·
Registered
11,998 Posts
A pretty solid option even if it did lack the Camcord's ultimate polish. The 2003 update needed a more serious interior and technology to compete, along with larger and more powerful engines.

·
Registered
6,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I really liked the way my L200 drove....but dear God...the amount of problems I had with it over three years of ownership was ridiculous!
My 2000 LS2 was the most trouble some Saturn i owned. My S's were trouble free.

A pretty solid option even if it did lack the Camcord's ultimate polish. The 2003 update needed a more serious interior and technology to compete, along with larger and more powerful engines.
dont be fooled, the 3.0 was a screamer. Everyone who rode with me could not believe how brisk it was and the engine note was so unique. If you watch the vid, it did 0-60 in the 7s, which IIRC was a respectable figure, especially for a mid size offering.

·
Registered
270 Posts
We ordered a 2000 LS2 in '99. It was a good running & driving car. It had way too many early production problems, but the dealership service department was the best I had ever dealt with. We drove it for 220K miles. Got $2K in trade on an '05 VUE. The dealer had a network of used car dealers who would bid on trade ins that were too old or had too many miles. Four of them bid $1K, one bid $2K for some reason. They must have thought it had 120K, instead of 220K. I couldn't get the words "I'll take that" out of my mouth fast enough.

·
Registered
6,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We ordered a 2000 LS2 in '99. It was a good running & driving car. It had way too many early production problems, but the dealership service department was the best I had ever dealt with. We drove it for 220K miles. Got $2K in trade on an '05 VUE. The dealer had a network of used car dealers who would bid on trade ins that were too old or had too many miles. Four of them bid $1K, one bid $2K for some reason. They must have thought it had 120K, instead of 220K. I couldn't get the words "I'll take that" out of my mouth fast enough.
yup. I had my car only a couple months, and it developed a rattle in the headliner. I thought it was something to to with the sunroof. Turned out someone on the Delaware assembly line left a screwdriver in it and it got loose. GO MURICA

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
I was about nine when they were unveiled, I remember our Saturn dealer had a big event. I guess it was kind of old-school in the way they revealed the new model, pulling the covers off in the showroom. A blue LS2, and I think a silver LW1? My father and I drove past the night before where they had them hidden in the detail bays. They also had a ride-and-drive at the 1999 Saturn Homecoming.

When I was looking for my second car around '07, there was a loaded 2002 L200 5-speed, medium blue/gray leather, that I test drove. I liked it but wanted something a little more powerful and was scared of the L-Series problem history, even though 2002 generally seems to be the best year for the L for quality. In hindsight it probably would have been fine and no worse than what I did end up getting.

On that note, a year or two ago when I was killing time (or procrastinating) doing an oddball car search, I was looking for 5-speed Ls. There was a loaded blue 5-speed 2002 L200 in the listings, and the Carfax had it listed as for sale at that same dealer around that time in '07 - it was the same one.

Now having driven Camcords from the time, it wasn't any smaller than the 4th-gen Camry, but the 6th-gen Accord felt larger and more substantial than either.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts