GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
6,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

The fourth generation Seville represented the pinnacle of domestically produced luxury and touring sedans. Although the Seville was longer, wider, and taller than before, its cohesive form sported an impressive 0.33 Cd. Significantly stiffened body and chassis cohabit with standard computer command ride and an improved braking system. Drivetrain and suspension were carryover, but were refined...

Video: 1992 Cadillac Seville Promo Video

·
Registered
5,944 Posts

Back in the day this was an amazing effort on Cadillac's part, even though it launched without the Northstar V8. The next generation Seville, although similar looking, totally lost the lithe dynamic taut lines of the '92 version. I'm thinking the CT6 is going to be pretty close to the size of this car, except the CT6 wheelbase will be considerably longer than Seville's modest 111"

·
Registered
16,689 Posts
I am proud to say I was fortunate enough to have had a '92, 94. and '98 SLS versions, all leased new.

The 92 and 94 were both in the gorgeous color known then as "Polo Green". They were both universally loved by everyone who saw them. I was asked about them by strangers on a regular basis.

The 98 I had went UNNOTICED. One person thought it was "that new Camry". I have to say the 98 was a superior car to the earlier ones. Far lighter on its feet and its interior was (and is) superior to many cars even more expensive, foreign or domestic and among the finest ever produced by GM.

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
Agreed. That generation, and the generation that followed it were hands down some of the best looking Cadillacs ever built IMHO:

I agree on the '92 but the next version wasn't as good. The '92 was almost a fastback, but then it evolved into a slightly more formal (and less successful imo) roof line. The surface tension was also way superior to the later version which started to get kind of clunky in it's detailing.

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
Now take a look at the car it replaced.

The 1992 Seville was a massive leap forward, and one of the first signs that GM was climbing out of the dark days of 1975-89. Of course, it wasn't long before Jack Smith and Ron Zarella ushered GM into another dark era. But the Seville, Eldo, and a host of other new models from the early '90s showed a brief period of life for GM.

·
Super Moderator
21,421 Posts
I agree on the '92 but the next version wasn't as good. The '92 was almost a fastback, but then it evolved into a slightly more formal (and less successful imo) roof line. The surface tension was also way superior to the later version which started to get kind of clunky in it's detailing.
IMHO the 1998 Seville looked more elegant than the outgoing 1992 model did, but traded its polarizing, hard edges for it. Kind of like the G3 CTS versus G2 CTS evolution.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
IMHO the 1998 Seville looked more elegant than the outgoing 1992 model did, but traded its polarizing, hard edges for it. Kind of like the G3 CTS versus G2 CTS evolution.
I agree. I feel the '98 looked more sophisticated, but since the look was evolutionary, it didn't get as much attention as the '92. Meanwhile, the Eldorado soldiered on.

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
I agree. I feel the '98 looked more sophisticated, but since the look was evolutionary, it didn't get as much attention as the '92. Meanwhile, the Eldorado soldiered on.
The 1998 Seville should have bowed in 1997 and run through 2001. Instead, the-4th Gen Seville had a longish 6-year run while the 5th gen ran for 7. And the 1998-04 Seville saw almost no major changes in that period. So you had the same basic shape on the market for 13 model years. And the Northstar got very little development in that era.

Everyone else moved on, and much more quickly, leaving Cadillac's midrange luxury car for dead.

·
Registered
2015 Cadillac XTS Platinum, 1989 Merkur XR4Ti, 1989 Merkur Scorpio
11,314 Posts
Owned a '94 SLS and '96 STS.
I have trouble sleeping in a moving vehicle, be it a bus, car or airplane.
But not the Sevilles. I could easily take a nap in the passenger seat. Very nice, comfortable cars.

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
As a kid I creamed over every Seville even the 70's models. After owning a variant of every model I can say this the 76-79's and the 92-97's were the universally loved models that got everyone to take a look at Cadillac. Still many people discount the baby lacs and that is a mistake they were not bad cars, looked lovely, but Americans liked bigger body styles. Gm finally got the engines right in 88 - 92 but feeling pressure to use a "modernized" design they rush another engine to market the North Star.

Cadillac then had the same issue in the 90's they had in the 80's with motors. The 4.1 was weak and could not handle heat at all then the North Star while a great design(Lotus/ZR1) it had casting issues that caused premature head gasket failure. Another issue, Lexus, who set a standard that even BMW and BENZ had a hard time matching till the later 90's. While the Cadillac tried to copy their interiors the cars did not hold up over time. The 98-04 were nice designs but for some reason people did not like them.

While not one of my Sevilles I loved my 88 Deville with only 76K on it.

·
Registered
990 Posts
The Seville & STS were beautiful cars back in the day and still looks good to this day. I like the STS better than the SLS due to its muscular look but it is a beauty.

There are not many ('92-'97) to be seen on the roads while a lot of them on used car lots waiting to be sold with high mileage, (some over 200K), and slight rust corrosion or in the junk yard.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts