GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Chevrolet marketing wizards created the Geo badge for Chevy’s imported Japanese cars because no one thought of Chevrolet when hunting for a Japanese car. Though the Storm was built and imported by Isuzu, Chevrolet engineering had significant input as to how the car was to look and behave...

Video: 1990 Geo Storm GSi Test Drive

·
Registered
274 Posts
Was looking forward to buying one of these back then, but the price tag was higher than I could afford. So I wound up a happy owner of a VW Fox 2-door. Performance tires were added later and increased the driving fun.

Truth be told, I also had looked at a CR-X Si and the dealer was selling those for $2500 over invoice. Could have bought two Foxes at that price.

·
Registered
13,172 Posts
I remember I dated a girl who had a red one of those. Pretty little car.

·
Banned
943 Posts
First car I learned to drive in. My Mom had bought it,a brand new Red GSi and I drove that thing for the next 7 years till......I don't even remember what happened to it. I think it started to eat through alternators after my brother smacked it up and soon after it was gone.

I still fondly remember that car and sometimes wish I still had it. I have read that it's cousin; the Isuzu Impulse was the one to get though. The Impulse had a turbo'ed engine and AWD.

·
Banned
943 Posts
The late80s/early90s had several small, affordable coupes. I'll always remember Car & Driver reviewing the base engine Geo Storm as a "buzzbomb" though.
It was (the car body was solid dat engine tho),but I think all 4 pots were back in the day. I remember shooting down the hi-way @ 65mph and hearing the dreaded "4cyl boom" I think it happened between 2000-3500rpm. Drove me nuts that sound till I turned up the radio.

·
Registered
6,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
i love my 89 Geo Tracker. I bought it 2 years ago to use it to get around my hunting property but often thought of registering it as its a really fun little car.

i really find the geo brand interesting. if it lasted till 2008 it might have gained some sales with the fuel crisis. 1990s cheap gas killed the brand.

·
Registered
4,822 Posts
My family owned two Geo trackers and one Prizm. Unfortuately, no Geo Storms. The Trackers were cheaply built but lasted surprising long. The Prizm was a manual but still remarkably slow off the line. Cruised fine.

Value and fuel efficiency were big things when Geo was introduced. They were pretty basic vehicles but worked pretty well.

·
Registered
981 Posts
I was born in '90, so no Geo memories for me. What car today is close to the Geo Storm or any of the Geo cars?

Is the Sonic/Spark a solid successor to the Metro? There aren't many two-door coupes in general, let alone affordable ones, these days.

·
Registered
7,251 Posts
Used to work with a guy who had a rather long commute to work. He put over 350K on a Storm.

Nice looking little car.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.