GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
6,540 Posts
If you don't count the horrific V-6 in this thing, this was quite a nice truck - certainly superior to the Colorado in comfort (I was surprised how awful the Colorado sat as it was so close to the floor).

If only Chevrolet could build compact trucks like this instead of its huge and bloated Asian garbage they are offering now.

·
Registered
19,295 Posts
I always thought they were a cool truck, put on a lift kit, roll bar, etc. and it looked really sharp. Hopefully GM's new "small" trucks can pick up where the S-10 left off, though I put small in quotes as I suspect today's small trucks are a lot larger.

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
Observations:

1. The Vortec V6 is often quoted as making 155hp - but remember it was 'up to' 155hp here. In the Caprice and Monte Carlo it was rated at only 130hp.

2. The 4wd 15" wheels and P235 tires completely transformed it. The 2wd's 14x5" wheels inside the massive wheel lips create 'wheel gap' that is particularly galling to modern eyes. Ranger pulled off 14" wheels much better.

3. The S10 epitomizes Bill Mitchell's 'sheer look' styling (that nearly killed GM!). Was the phenomenal popularity of the '82-'93 sheer look S10 the exception that proves the rule?

4. The two tone paint job never had a higher calling than in spiffing up sheer look cars - and especially S10 Tahoes.

5. The "Troy McClure" narrator who's tenure stretches back several years seems sincerely impressed by the new engine developments.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Love these trucks. Wish it weren't so hard to find unmolested examples - too many wound up in the hands of children.

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
Never was a fan of that design I must admit.

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
Petersen's 4 wheel and off road should have given a lifetime achievement award to the 83-93 "T 10" as the 4wd was briefly (going to be?) called. I remember it was the first magazine I subscribed too, and they wrote glowing stories for several years about the S10 4wd's - especially the Blazer - off road awesomeness.

GM had strongly considered making the S10 unit body which would've made it a lot more efficient and quicker. They had done the math, and figured that if they just made it shrunken C-10 with a ladder frame, it would be far heavier. But after careful consideration Chevy/GM (and Ford with the Ranger/Bronco ii) decided it needed to have the separate frame to be rugged enough. In this sense it was the best of all world's because it was just as rugged a big Blazer - and even had the same tire size - but was smaller and far more maneuverable.

And then in '84, one year after the "T 10" 4wd debuted, Jeep came out with a unit body Cherokee that was roomier and lighter than the S10 Blazer and became a modern legend in off roading.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts