GM Inside News Forum banner

Looking Back: 1985 Chevrolet Corvette LaserDisc Promo

4K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  skylark68 
#1 ·
See less See more
#4 ·
Got my neighbor's '62 Vette running today after sitting for years because it stopped running. It had a mystery engine and carb swap decades ago...so it took a little detective work to find out it had a 68 Impala 327 in it. The carb was some old beast double pumper POS. Changed the oil/filter, added STP for good measure, topped off the coolant, converted the distributor from points to electronic, new coil, added an Eldebrock 4bbl carb and new line filter, reset the timing from square 1, added fresh gas and cleaned the plugs and bam...she came to life. That old 327 is smooth as butter and very responsive. Not a tap or click one. Those old small blocks are amazing.

#5 ·
I will tell you, the 84 Corvette was such a HUGE leap at the time. It was the first time it had tires that were real performance tires, the Goodyear "Gatorback", and at the time were a massive 255 width. Before that, everything was skinny. You got the awesome clamshell hood with headlights that did not "pop up", they rotated backwards into position. The digital dash was space age. It was the first Corvette that put a premium on handling. BUT, on the street there was a trick....The 84 had the "cross fire injection" and was total crap. In 85 they did away with that and the Tuned Port Injected engine was born and became a street fighter legend overnight. Ran great, and when you popped that hood everyone "oohed and ahhhed" over those awesome looking runners! Now, just in front of the doors at the beltline, there was a badge saying "Crossfire Injection" or "Tuned Port Injection". But, it was hard to see until too late. By the time you could see it, you were already lined up on the guy. The "trick" was to look at the tail pipes as you were hanging back. The slower 84 had tailpipes that turned down. The faster 85 had straight pipes. Ding! There you go! In 86 they added the CHMSL (Center High Mount Stop Lamp) plus the center of the wheels become silver if I remember right (or grey) as they were black before that.

#9 ·
Totally agree. The '84 was a huge lead forward. The C3 that it replaced had been in production for so long and was so overdue to be retired. It really had become an embarrassing caricature of itself. In 1982 and 1983, the new Camaros and Firebirds were the better performance cars at GM, particularly with regard to handling. The C4 came along and was sleek and modern and as you said, was built to handle very well. The C4 does not get the respect that it deserves today. I wouldn't mind owning one of the later ones from 1994 or so.

#11 ·
Considering what else was available in '85, this car was a no-brainer if you had the cash.

Still though, the best looking C4's were the last ones made. My pick for best looking is the '96 Grand Sport.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.