1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
6,231 Posts
GM had given up on this car because they thought gas prices were going to remain high through the 1980s. When it was introduced in 1977, it revolutionized the fullsized car market and won the MT Car of the Year award. But it remained relatively unchanged until 1991 -- 14 years!

So by the time this laserdisc was produced, the Impala was already consigned to police car/taxi fleet duty. Soon after, the Impala nameplate was eliminated and Caprice was used for all trims.

·
Banned
6,540 Posts
The last great cars that GM ever built. I remember these fondly and they are still incredible products for that era. Today's stuff built by the company that is impersonating GM is simply garbage. Those rear wheel drive GM products were the best of the genre and were not as barge-like as the early 1970's era products.

·
Registered
5,338 Posts
GM had given up on this car because they thought gas prices were going to remain high through the 1980s. When it was introduced in 1977, it revolutionized the fullsized car market and won the MT Car of the Year award. But it remained relatively unchanged until 1991 -- 14 years!

So by the time this laserdisc was produced, the Impala was already consigned to police car/taxi fleet duty. Soon after, the Impala nameplate was eliminated and Caprice was used for all trims.
1980 brought redesigned fenders , doors and fascias and light weighting.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
GM had given up on this car because they thought gas prices were going to remain high through the 1980s. When it was introduced in 1977, it revolutionized the fullsized car market and won the MT Car of the Year award. But it remained relatively unchanged until 1991

We had the 1977 car with the F41 suspension package. Great car. I inherited the car for college.

·
Premium Member
News Contributor
5,625 Posts
21 cubic feet of trunk space!! Find that amount of space in a car today.

I really liked the 1977-79 two-door coupe with the rear sloped window. One of the best looking and balanced coupes GM ever designed. :)

Never really understood why that window was discontinued.

·
Registered
4,225 Posts

In the early 80's, I knew a lot of people that bought the wagons as family cars. I rode in a lot of them. Then the minivan came out and that was it for the wagons....

·
Registered
633 Posts
IMO, the two doors were some of the best looking cars on the road. And they still look good. Still see some restored or original ones at the summer car cruises. Nice looking vehicles. And probably some of the best GM made. Still see lots of four doors and wagons on the road as everyday drivers. And it's at least 24 years since they were made.

·
Registered
5,338 Posts
More trivia: when these came out in my '77 there were many who felt they looked too small. ( the Malibu was about the same size). So GM did a redesign for 1980 to make them look bigger and at the same time more aerodynamic. They lost their creases on the tops of the fenders and went more bulbous and rounded. Then the second oil crisis hit just as these were coming out and now they
Looked too big, sales went down.
I think they were the first cars that had slotted tape for the window mechanisms in an effort to lower weight even further.

·
Registered
5,338 Posts
In the early 80's, I knew a lot of people that bought the wagons as family cars. I rode in a lot of them. Then the minivan came out and that was it for the wagons....
That and a few other factors. Baby boomers were getting out of high school and parents o longer needed wagons. And we were just starting to see the ford explorer and the small blazer start to have significan sales. Plus they were significantly shorter and were easier to handle for drivers who were in their 50 s etc.

·
Registered
6,231 Posts
Very true. The Buick/Olds wagons were popular in my area, and those things weren't cheap. Then the minivans came out and the Jeep Grand Cherokee and other SUVs finished them off.

·
Registered
29 Posts
These are great videos of a car that someone's uncle/dad/brother/mom always seemed to drive for those of us who grew up in the 1980s.

Thanks for posting. Would you happen to have any of these videos for the 1977, 78 or 79 models?

·
Registered
54 Posts
I bought a new '77 Caprice 2dr, all black w/the 350 and F41 suspension. I liked it so much two years later I bought another identical to the first one. When the metric tranny in the 2nd one blew a friend built up a 350 Turbo and installed it. This swap was so common GM made a kit to swap them out. My dad had a new '77 Impala and I also had a '90 Caprice 9C1. They were solid dependable cars.

·
Registered
6,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
These are great videos of a car that someone's uncle/dad/brother/mom always seemed to drive for those of us who grew up in the 1980s.

Thanks for posting. Would you happen to have any of these videos for the 1977, 78 or 79 models?
I have the 77 launch commercial 90 second "Now that's more like it", and various others:

Search: Caprice

·
Registered
317 Posts
I had both a 1978 and 1984 Caprice Coupe. The 78 was well put together, though the 305 with two barrel was way underpowered. The 84 was faster, since it had a 350 with 4 barrel - but it wasn't well put together.

·
Registered
5,632 Posts
1985 as stated saw elimination of the weak 110 HP carbureted 229 V6, replaced with the stronger TBI 4.3 V6 and the 305 got higher compression, a knock sensor and 15 more horses up to 165. All models also received firmer springs, revised dashed and digital radios so it's not like GM wasn't giving these cars any updates. These were some of the best liked cars in my neck of the woods and many families owned variations on this theme one time or another. I always loved my friends 1986 tan coupe with 305, 200R4 and optional 2.73 rear gears. That car felt pretty quick at the time and it was 100% relaible and went well over 200k with the original drivetrain.

·
Registered
6,237 Posts

But it got major changes in mid life. Got the powerful, bigger all new vortec v6. Also it got the electronic spark control LG4 305cid V8 with increased HP. Instrument panel was completely changed as well with tasteful brushed aluminum trim.

Then in '86 it got new front and rear styling. Hardly just a taxi at that point - if anything it was becoming more relevant as gas prices were decreasing.

Parents got the '85 Impala with the new ESC 305 and performance 2.73 axle. It was pretty guttsy for the time. One night we pitted it against a buddy's folks' 400cid '78 Mercury and a 318 Duster and it easily disposed with both of them.

My dad still talks about how much they liked the car at the time. First car he had with AC too.

·
Registered
5,338 Posts
our '88 caprice had the 2.56 rear axle and it would get about 27mpg at 70 mph. my dad special ordered the car and we received it at the end of december '87. my dad had polio and was not very mobile. he parked the car under a ligustrom tree, and leaves and berries fell on it that winter. By March all that crap had embedded itself in the clearcoat and the paint was ruined.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts