1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
I had one of those Type-10's for a while as a temporary car. It felt a bit truckish to drive, and badly needed a sixth gear for highway driving. It was definately geared for the days of 55 MPH national limits.

But on city streets it was peppy to move about, and the hatch could swallow lots of packages.

·
Registered
7,272 Posts
I had two Cavalier RS hatchbacks and they really could haul a ton of stuff, especially with the rear seats down. I twice moved using that car to carry my stuff, including furniture and mattresses. Not much power (90HP) but reliable cars.

That Sunbird picture above isn't flattering, but from most angles the car wasn't bad looking. My Dad bought an '82 Pontiac J-2000 (later renamed Sunbird) as his second car which I'd be driving a lot. I was excited to drive it; my Dad's prior second cars were Chevettes. It was a nice looking coupe and with that aggressive-looking split Pontiac grille you got the impression that it would be fun to drive. Big letdown. Very slow. When you hit the gas the car would often lurch forward, feeling like someone had bumped you from behind. My Dad took it in more than once, but was told that it was normal. I know that a lot of people had the same experience.

·
Registered
262 Posts
My mom had a 1990 Sunbird. As a kid, I liked the red glow interior and thought the stereo sounded good.

·
Registered
7,272 Posts
My mom had a 1990 Sunbird. As a kid, I liked the red glow interior and thought the stereo sounded good.

GM always had pretty decent sound in those days even from it's base audio systems.

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
Nothing like old guy Cadallic switch gear in your base youth sporty offering...............I always like the convertible, with the Turbo one would think that was a pretty peppy car back then.

·
Registered
18,488 Posts
I had one of those Type-10's for a while as a temporary car. It felt a bit truckish to drive, and badly needed a sixth gear for highway driving. It was definately geared for the days of 55 MPH national limits.

But on city streets it was peppy to move about, and the hatch could swallow lots of packages.
I never got that... did anyone actually do 55 mph? I imagine most people to have just kept 80 as normal...

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
A bit of a topic stray, but my impression back in the day was the 55 MPH national limit was enforced to varying degree, state by state. My workplace had some colleagues from Ohio and they said you had to adhere to the "double nickel" for real there. N.C. was moderate about it, you could drive low 60s. Georgia didn't seem to take it seriously, we'd often go 70 with the flow on I-95. But there wasn't much on I-95 back then, either.

But in the early 1980s it was quite normal to have a speedometer that ended at 85, with 45 at the top of it. 55 would often be in a larger font, or circled, etc.

·
Registered
7,272 Posts
I had one of those Type-10's for a while as a car. It felt a bit truckish to drive, and badly needed a sixth gear for highway driving. It was definately geared for the days of 55 MPH national limits.

A sixth gear? If I remember correctly, it didn't even have a fourth gear.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
A sixth gear? If I remember correctly, it didn't even have a fourth gear.
The 2000/2000 LE came standard with 5-speed manual (4-speed on Turbo).

·
Registered
7,272 Posts
The 2000/2000 LE came standard with 5-speed manual (4-speed on Turbo).
True. I was thinking of the automatics, which I think were 3-speeds.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
True. I was thinking of the automatics, which I think were 3-speeds.
Yes, they were 3-speeds! I assumed Swagled was referring to the 5-speed manual when he commented that it could have used a 6th.

·
Registered
7,272 Posts
How times change. I remember being impressed when I bought my first car that had a four speed automatic.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts