·
Premium Member
7,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Sportwagon To Spike Commodore Sales

James Stanford
8 July 2008
www.goauto.com.au

GM Holden is confident the VE Sportwagon will enable the Commodore to regain its place as the best-selling car in Australia when it goes on sales next week.

The Commodore currently trails the Toyota Corolla in the 2008 sales race and faces losing its position as Australia’s favourite car – a spot it has held for the past 12 years.

VFACTS statistics released last week show that Toyota sold 24,415 Corollas in the first half of this year, more than 1000 units ahead of the Commodore on 23,323.

However, the Commodore figures do not take into account the fact that Holden ceased station wagon production late last year.

Asked if the new Sportwagon would help it regain the number-one spot by the end of the year, Holden sales and marketing director Alan Batey said: “Yes, we do believe it will.”

The advantages that flow from having Australia’s biggest-selling vehicle are immense, but Mr Batey insisted that the company would not get into a discounting battle to ensure Commodore stays at the top.

Click here to continue article

·
Registered
25 Posts
C'mon, Aussie Mates, buy the daylights out of it so we can get a G8 version here!! (See my FUTURE RIDE!) And the name is already perfect -- Sportwagon -- it just needs that great Pontiac face with those carved out hood scoops! Oh yeah, don't forget to convert it to left hand drive. We are easily confused...:confused:

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
I may have to move to Australia, anyone have room for me until I buy my wagon?
I'm with you.........time to pay MikMak a visit?? :D

Really though, this should bode well for Holden. Does Toyota peddle wagon versions of either the Corolla or Camry (Aurion) down under? :confused:

·
Registered
561 Posts
the corolla still has a "wagon" version, but the camry wagon hasn't been around for a while now.

i was moving a few of the VE wagons around work the other day, and i'm smitten with them :D more room in the back than i originally thought (with seats folded down, theres almost enough room for a person over 6 foot to stretch out...) wouldn't be too uncomfortable to sleep in :D
i'll take a manual SS-V in Karma thanks

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
i was moving a few of the VE wagons around work the other day, and i'm smitten with them :D more room in the back than i originally thought (with seats folded down, theres almost enough room for a person over 6 foot to stretch out...) wouldn't be too uncomfortable to sleep in :D
i'll take a manual SS-V in Karma thanks
Hmmm......if they ever become widely adopted up here, I could imagine more than a few of these popping up in sparsely filled parking lots late at night ;)

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
as much as i like the sport truck, i can't see how Mr. Lutz thought it made more sense to bring that over rather than the wagon!!

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Australia's auto industry's future is going to be tied to either opening up mainstream markets for the VE and FG platforms in North America and Europe. If all else fails, they're going to have to petition for compact/mid-size car production. Given GM and Fords financial woes, the days are gone when they can afford to create a platform for just the 25 million people in Australia and new Zealand.

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts
A lot of people forget when they read the 'doom and gloom' Holden bigcar sales slump stories about how Holden used to sell 7,000 cars a month ten years back (and Ford, for that matter) that Ute sales were once counted together with sedans and wagons.

And when VT was going gangbusters in Oz, Holden was barely exporting anything. Holden's factory is basically pretty much strapped most of the time.

There's no paddocks full of cars, and my local dealer's predlelivery area when I was there getting a service last week was busy as ever. They've got no Daewoos, but there's heaps of utes, SS, even two Statos being predlivered at once.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts