·
Registered
16,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

·
Registered
44,160 Posts
http://www.leftlanenews.com/bmw-mulling-four-cylinder-3-1-series-for-us.html

I still think the new small Cadillac needs to be offered with a 6 cylinder, at least as an option. But it seems all the world automakers are thinking along similar lines.
It won't take BMW long to get these engines over to the US, as they're sold elsewhere in teh world.
It's just a matter of selling the 318i and 320i in the US.

There should be a quick turnaround to get these cars into the US, should they decide to sell them here.

Ummm... that means that there currently AREN'T any 4-cylinder BMW 3-series in the US?!? I thought that the base model had a 4! Wow, I sure don't know my BMWs!
That's correct. Much the same way there isn't a 4-cyl 5-series sold in the US either.
I wouldn't be surprised if the 520i is eventually sold in the US.

·
Registered
667 Posts
What's to "mull", exactly?

The market demands improved economy and BMW has good, refined four cylinder engines already in the vehicle. 3er sales must be about 50% four cylinders in Europe, surely.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Seems to me like most of the fours I'm starting to hear about on these threads are capable of being tuned to the output of some six cylinder engines. Why not offer them? reduced weight, possibly cheaper to produce..."greener"...

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
I guess it will go in the 1-series too. 300 pounds lighters, cheaper price, the 1-series would be perfect for a 4 bangers too.

·
Registered
16,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Seems to me like most of the fours I'm starting to hear about on these threads are capable of being tuned to the output of some six cylinder engines. Why not offer them? reduced weight, possibly cheaper to produce..."greener"...

They're only "greener" if they use less fuel. A 4 cylinder tuned to high output may not be that much more fuel-efficient.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
what?! we have had bmw 4 cylinders sine the start!....and they suck.
a 318i actually uses more gas than a 320i (in real life, dont know about on paper)

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
They're only "greener" if they use less fuel. A 4 cylinder tuned to high output may not be that much more fuel-efficient.
Yep. Case in point is the Mitsu Evo. Almost 300 hp from a four-banger, but only 22 mpg highway.

However, the LNF is an excellent example of a powerful AND fuel-efficient engine. 30 hwy, 21 city.

I think a normally-aspirated four-banger would be a mistake for BMW in the US. But a nice turbo four-banger with power comparable to a six would be a winner.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
i am suprised they have not already

imagine a 4 cylander turbo in the new CTS...

Alan

·
Registered
9,682 Posts
I'd like to see them bring over the fine little diesels they offer elsewhere, but Euro 5 emissions aren't good enough for the US.

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
They used to, not so long ago. I test drove a mid 90's 318i which was pretty terrible, but it probably got 30+ mpg and a lot of people only care about the logo and the mpg.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Exactly right. My '99 Prelude is a 2.2L four banger, and in city driving it only gets about 1 mpg better than my old '97 BMW M3 got. And that M3 (3.2L I6) would run circles around the Prelude.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
The 318i was a flop cause it was a hatchback.
MB had the C230 here for years, and they came supercharged as well.
GM needs to be ahead of the game and make sure that a larger Family Zero engine makes it to the BTS, as well as the LNF and a SIDI 3.6.

·
Registered
44,160 Posts
BLS, if it is to be a global car, it NEEDS a 4-cylinder option, as well as a diesel option.
And it needs a V6/I6 as well. And for a high performance version, it needs a high-output turbo V6.
No ifs, ands, or buts.

·
Registered
9,682 Posts
The 318i was a flop cause it was a hatchback.
You're thinking of the E36 'ti' model which was the 3 Series Compact. They offered that car's M42 and M44 4-cyl. engines in sedan ('i') and coupe ('is) and convertible ('ic') models as well in North America. The earlier E30 3 Series was available as a 318 as well, but they never made a Compact model with a hatch.

MB had the C230 here for years, and they came supercharged as well.
Mercedes 4-cyl. cars in the US go way back, but the W202, the first C-Class, was available with the 2.2L M111 naturally aspirated 4-cyl. in North America. The W203, the second C-Class, wasn't available with a naturally aspirated 4-cyl. in North America, only with the 1.8L M271 supercharged engine. The current C-Class is not available in North America with a 4-cyl.

The reason BMW and Mercedes no longer offer 4-cyl. engines in North America is the same reason they no longer offer cloth, wheel covers, hatchback models, etc. They want to keep their upscale image here and offering things that North Americans see as lower class would tarnish it. Mercedes do, however, offer the hatchback-only, 4-cyl.-only, FWD B-Class in less sensitive Canada.

·
Premium Member
3,040 Posts
I don't pay a great deal of attention to BMW's but I recall I used to regularly see someone where I work driving one that was from the 90's. I recall it being a hatchback and 318 comes to mind as well. Mostly I remember all the smoke coming out of the tailpipe.

The 3 series is easily small enough to use a 4-cyl. Lots of people buy BMW's for the status and driving pleasure not for drag racing. I bet a reasonably powered 4-cyl. would be a popular option, much more so than before.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
My Boss has a 1998 318i 4 dr. w/ a 5 Sp. manual. While not the fastest car on the planet, It handles beautifully and returns 40 MPG on the Hwy.

BMW needs to bring over the 5 dr. 1 series including the 120 TDI engine. 50 - 60 MPG negates the desire for a hybrid and offers utility w/out the need for a X3......

Ken

1 - 20 of 31 Posts