GM Inside News Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
Lincoln has shown interesting and sometimes nice concepts in the past few years. But if Ford hopes to save Lincoln a large infusion of cash to create new cars and not just another Mazda6. If the plan to revive Mercury was based on the Mazda6 platform then Ford would be on the correct path but Lincoln, like Cadillac, needs to be based on RWD platform. Not a FWD made AWD or just left FWD. I hope Lincoln can return to glory but not with this plan.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
i like the idea of bringing back the mark series. the mark 7 and 8 are among my favorites. but this is way too much like a XLR that its pathedic. lincoln is really starting to fall behind. what i still dont understand is why the LS is not selling as well as it should. really a nice classy sporty car.

Alan

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I should say, my criticism of the K car was that they were mostly very similar. On a personal not, my family owned a 1985 Dodge Aries, and though it was a cheap car, it was perhaps the least problematic of any they've owned. So, it wasn't a bad group of cars... I just don't know if it'd do for a Lincoln, that's all. :)

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Come on guys, don't be so hard on Lincoln! I think making cars based on the MAZDA6 platform is a smart thing to do. It's sporty, affordable, and proven---where's the bad in that? As long as it's not a rebadged MAZDA6 but a totally new car on the inside, outside, and in powertrains then I'm fine. I really do like Lincoln's new concept cars like the Mark LT, Mark X Converitble, Continental sedan, and the MK9. 3 years ago nobody thought that Cadillac would be where it is today and right now that's how most people view Lincoln as: crappy American luxury. Just give them a couple of years and they'll be great.

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
Originally posted by RCtennis3811@Apr 5 2004, 11:21 PM
Come on guys, don't be so hard on Lincoln! I think making cars based on the MAZDA6 platform is a smart thing to do. It's sporty, affordable, and proven---where's the bad in that?
I disagree the Mazda6 platform is a mistake for Lincoln. Ford should use the LS platform. It is already in use, abeit less than Ford would like. The LS platform is RWD. Acura offers FWD and no one ever mentions Acura in the same breath as Lexus, Benz, etc.
If Ford jsut wants some sales then go ahead with this new plan. Some new product is better than none but Lincoln deserves better than this a FWD platform.

Buy cheap and smile once.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Like Cadillac, Lincoln came to a fork in the road during the late 90's. Lincoln's answer was platform sharing (Navigator/Expedition, LS/S-type) and a few new models. It was the easy answer, with the most potential for short-term gains. Initially, it worked. The Navigator was a smash success. The LS was praised as "the American BMW" by the perennially gullible U.S. auto media (press release journalism).

Cadillac chose a long-term solution with a view to securing the future of the brand.

-A shared visual signature for all Cadillac models
-The future of the brand would ride on the Sigma platform, which would debut with Caddy.
-All-around improvements in quality/interiors/powertrains
-New manufacturing facilities
-Billions of dollars to make it happen

When I saw the Mark IX a few years ago, I really thought that Lincoln had finally got its act together. I really thought that this was their Evoq- a shocking flagship on which to rebuild a brand.

Unfortunately, this opportunity was wasted, and now Ford is making the same mistake it made in the first go-around. Heavy-handed platform sharing has already failed with the Aviator, and now they are preparing to make the same mistake with the Mazda 6. And an F-150 clone. All of their recent investment has gone into a new Navigator. Now, we hear that an upcoming Lincoln flagship, possibly with a V-12, will be built on the Crown Victoria platform. Ford should have learned during the first failure that isolated model introductions, underinvestment, and poorly-executed platform sharing are a recipe for decline.

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Originally posted by Canuck+Apr 5 2004, 05:31 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Canuck @ Apr 5 2004, 05:31 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-RCtennis3811@Apr 5 2004, 11:21 PM
Come on guys, don't be so hard on Lincoln!  I think making cars based on the MAZDA6 platform is a smart thing to do.  It's sporty, affordable, and proven---where's the bad in that?
I disagree the Mazda6 platform is a mistake for Lincoln. Ford should use the LS platform. It is already in use, abeit less than Ford would like. The LS platform is RWD. Acura offers FWD and no one ever mentions Acura in the same breath as Lexus, Benz, etc.
If Ford jsut wants some sales then go ahead with this new plan. Some new product is better than none but Lincoln deserves better than this a FWD platform.

Buy cheap and smile once. [/b][/quote]
LOL I mentioned Acura along with Benz and Lexus when I was buying a car. REALLY!

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Originally posted by frenstall@Apr 5 2004, 05:41 PM
How many times does it have to be said?? THIS IS AN OLD CONCEPT PIC. It is not what will be seen in new york!
Sometimes I like adding photos to articles to give them a little more eye-appeal. The one I chose to attach this time was clearly a mistake. :p

But I still like it, and I wouldn't mind seeing a Lincoln like it.

Perhaps I should add a Ford Futura photo...

·
Registered
737 Posts
Pictures of the Lincoln Zephyr concept car are available at the Detroit News. I think it's a beautiful sedan, a great competitor for the Lexus ES330, and I think it will be fairly successful. I don't think its being FWD or its use of the 3.0L Duratec will hurt it at all.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I don't see why FWD, as long as it's backed up by AWD, is anything but an advantage in North America. Many people in snowier areas cross RWD cars off their list right away, and even where AWD is available as an option on RWD cars it puts them at a cost disadvantage.

Why Cadillac is copying BMW when they traditionally far outsell BMW in North America is beyond me... Lexus and now Lincoln have it right...

21 - 34 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.