1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Lincoln Aviator Trademark Hints at a Posher 2016 Ford Explorer
BY MIRCEA PANAIT
20TH JANUARY 2015

Anyone remember the 2003 to 2005 model year Lincoln Aviator? Yeah, the mid-size luxury sport utility vehicle with an U1 platform shared with that era's Ford Sport Trac, Ford Explorer and the hideous Mercury Mountaineer. It appears that FoMoCo is planning to revive that nameplate once again.

Scavenging through the trademark filings section of the US Patent and Trademark Office, we found out that Ford applied for "Aviator" on January 6th, which leads us into believing that the Lincoln MKC and the all-new MKX will soon get a bigger SUV brother.

CONTINUE AT AUTOEVOLUTION.COM

2004 Lincoln Aviator, courtesy of Edmunds

EDIT/RELATED NEWS: Could "Aviator" have been trademarked not for Lincoln, but to protect the use of "AV8R" for a one-off Mustang?

AV8R Trademark Suggests One-Off Ford Mustang is in the Pipeline
BY MIRCEA PANAIT
20TH JANUARY 2015

AV8R. Three letters and a numeral. This trademark doesn't make much sense on its own, but when you put a Ford and a Mustang before AV8R, the crystal ball turns clear, offering a glimpse of what's to come – a one-of-a-kind S550 generation Ford Mustang.

After talking to the outgoing pony's chief engineer and Ford Performance numero uno Dave Pericak, we were left a little bit cold with his reply according to which a soft top GT350 won't happen. Fingers crossed Dave was only bluffing with that poker face negative. But that's not the 'Stang I want to talk about right now...

While we were searching the US Patent and Trademark Office's database, we discovered that an all-new Lincoln Aviator (A-V-eight-R) may be in the making, along with an AV8R Ford Mustang. Both trademarks were filed on January 6th. Futhermore, the AV8R nameplate was filed in 2008 as well.

CONTINUE AT AUTOEVOLUTION.COM

·
Super Moderator
10,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
That's interesting. The Aviator was an Explorer clone, but it was also the original name for the MKX. The 2004 Aviator concept car eventually morphed into our MKX when Lincoln dropped their nomenclature and adopted alphanumeric designations in 2006. The first vehicle that switched to the new naming scheme was the vehicle that was known as the Aviator up until that time.

Could Lincoln really be looking to revive the name for an Explorer based product? Or is this news, coupled with Neil Young's statement that his Pono hi-def music player would debut in the next "Lincoln Continental", a hint that Lincoln is going back to actual names on their products? Everyone thought perhaps Neil's statement was just a misstatement or confusion about the name of the future product. But if they just re-trademarked Aviator, could it be that they are actually moving back to regular names?

Perhaps a more logical explanation is that Lincoln will have a two-forked naming scheme. It's entirely plausible that perhaps they'll sell certain SUVs with actual names, and their sedans (or international products?) with their current alphanumeric designations?

Either way, this speaks to the importance of branding and product awareness. Before the switch to the MK* designations, the Navigator and the Town Car were their most recognizable nameplates. Currently, the Lincoln product with the biggest recognition in the market is the MKZ; then arguably followed by the Navigator and MKX. The MKZ, in fact, is presently more recognizable in the market than the Navigator.

To go "all in" and resurrect past nameplates will certainly make enthusiasts happy, but they're going to have to spend a considerable amount of money to build/rebuild brand awareness for these vehicles in the market. As it is, they've had almost ten years of selling MK-something or other products. What's more, they've just introduced the brand in China and successfully launched the MKC, which is building it's own buzz. If they hope to eventually switch to new designations, it could hurt any momentum they've built behind these products.

I hope they think this through completely before making any kind of a switch.
While we were searching the US Patent and Trademark Office's database, we discovered that an all-new Lincoln Aviator (A-V-eight-R) may be in the making, along with an AV8R Ford Mustang. Both trademarks were filed on January 6th. Futhermore, the AV8R nameplate was filed in 2008 as well.
Perhaps this is the most logical explanation and the trademark was reserved to protect the AV8R designation for a future Mustang-based product?

·
Banned
6,540 Posts
When Total Recall Motors sycophants whine about badge engineering with Lincoln all we have to do is to look at the Cadihack Escalator to see it in full bloom at the place the taxpayers bailed out. I suggest your indignation and fun be shelved until your company practices what you demand of others.

Can't wait to see the Cadihack version of the new Chi-a-pet platform!

·
Registered
11,898 Posts
How was the Mountaineer hideous?

·
Registered
2015 Cadillac XTS Platinum, 1989 Merkur XR4Ti, 1989 Merkur Scorpio
11,303 Posts
That's interesting. The Aviator was an Explorer clone, but it was also the original name for the MKX.
Years ago I drove an Aviator and Mountaineer back to back.
Huge difference between them. Aviator was better in every respect. Power, ride, material quality, features... you name it.
I'm actually a big fan of the old Aviator and the LS. The Mountaineer / Explorer? Steaming piles of crap.

·
Premium Member
11,341 Posts
I hope there is an Aviator on the way and replaces the MKT ASAP.

While Lincoln offered the MKX as an Aviator replacement, it was never supplied as a 3-Row SUV.
Lincoln Deales have been pressing Ford for better 3-Row SUV to sell, the MKT is difficult to move.

·
Super Moderator
10,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I don't know. I thought the same thing when I read it. I never disliked the Mountaineer; I always thought it was a handsome vehicle for what it was. I guess beauty is a subjective thing.
Huge difference between them. Aviator was better in every respect. Power, ride, material quality, features... you name it.
I'm actually a big fan of the old Aviator and the LS. The Mountaineer / Explorer? Steaming piles of crap.
I imagine that is true. I always liked the "mini-Navigator" look to the Aviator, and thought it had a much nicer interior. Glad to hear that the differences weren't just skin deep. If you're paying bigger money for the Lincoln, it had better have something more going for it than just a badge.

As an aside, I used to be a big fan of the LS and loved the way it looked. When I was younger, I did all I could to find the base-model LS with the 5 speed manual transmission. It had the "Jaguar-derived V6" that it shared with the S-Type (and was actually based on the old FoMoCo Duratec 3.0 that was updated for Jaguar duty). I wanted one so badly, but it was very far out of my price range at the time. Nowadays, you can hardly find them; and if you do they're 8 states over. Sometime after that, I also tried to find a base-V6 S-Type with a stick, but that seemed even more rare.

Ah, to be young and have champagne dreams!

Lincoln LS-V6 with 5 speed manual

I hope there is an Aviator on the way and replaces the MKT ASAP.

While Lincoln offered the MKX as an Aviator replacement, it was never supplied as a 3-Row SUV.
Lincoln Deales have been pressing Ford for better 3-Row SUV to sell, the MKT is difficult to move.
I know a lot of people who dislike the MKT. I'm not a fan of it either. However, those who own one seem to love them. I know that nsap had a family member who bought one (I think the Turbo version, IIRC) and was raving about it.

Whatever they replace the MKT with, I hope it's upscale and handsome. I think that 80% of the current ones must go to livery customers who get it in "MKT Town Car" trim for their customers.

Reactions: dbc30531

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
^ This is pretty accurate. They were very under-rated. I rode in one and was thoroughly impressed with it in pretty much all ways. I was disappointed when they canned it.

Looking forward to seeing what the next Gen Navi is like and what this would be like.

Reactions: cad1cts

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
I agree I always thought the Mountaineer was a very nice looking SUV

I don't know. I thought the same thing when I read it. I never disliked the Mountaineer; I always thought it was a handsome vehicle for what it was. I guess beauty is a subjective thing.

I imagine that is true. I always liked the "mini-Navigator" look to the Aviator, and thought it had a much nicer interior. Glad to hear that the differences weren't just skin deep. If you're paying bigger money for the Lincoln, it had better have something more going for it than just a badge.

As an aside, I used to be a big fan of the LS and loved the way it looked. When I was younger, I did all I could to find the base-model LS with the 5 speed manual transmission. It had the "Jaguar-derived V6" that it shared with the S-Type (and was actually based on the old FoMoCo Duratec 3.0 that was updated for Jaguar duty). I wanted one so badly, but it was very far out of my price range at the time. Nowadays, you can hardly find them; and if you do they're 8 states over. Sometime after that, I also tried to find a base-V6 S-Type with a stick, but that seemed even more rare.

Ah, to be young and have champagne dreams!

Lincoln LS-V6 with 5 speed manual

I know a lot of people who dislike the MKT. I'm not a fan of it either. However, those who own one seem to love them. I know that nsap had a family member who bought one (I think the Turbo version, IIRC) and was raving about it.

Whatever they replace the MKT with, I hope it's upscale and handsome. I think that 80% of the current ones must go to livery customers who get it in "MKT Town Car" trim for their customers.
When I was shopping for my LS I looked high and low for a manual and it was nearly impossible. Of course after I bought mine I found an ultra rare LSE manual only 102 made total. Silver on Black but it had 75k miles and my LS had 25k so I don't think it was really worth it.

·
Registered
11,898 Posts
I owned a 2003 Mountaineer for a short while and thought it was quite attractive...an Explorer, yes, but with minor changes it looked much more like a premium vehicle.

·
Registered
16,689 Posts
Hmmmm.

I'm not sure how these things work. Ford has already used "Aviator" on a product. How long do trademarks last in the case of product names? As long as the product itself is on the market?

Why would Ford need to apply for a name they have already used? Wouldn't they "own" the name already?

Perhaps this is just an update, Ford keeping the name so no one else can use it on a motor vehicle?

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
The LS had all the makings of a proper competitor in the lux field.

I remember thinking all they needed to do with it was to produce a V8 stick model to compete with the then Kill of the Hill sedan for enthusiasts, the stick BMW 540i. It would have been a huge hit in the enthusiast ranks, with influence far beyond that small community.

But Lincoln lacked the nerve. And they lacked the nerve to keep supporting their proper, credible RWD platform. And then they started making FWD luxury cars, thus ensuring also-ran status for decades to come.

Sad.

·
Premium Member
8,641 Posts
The LS had all the makings of a proper competitor in the lux field.

I remember thinking all they needed to do with it was to produce a V8 stick model to compete with the then Kill of the Hill sedan for enthusiasts, the stick BMW 540i. It would have been a huge hit in the enthusiast ranks, with influence far beyond that small community.

But Lincoln lacked the nerve. And they lacked the nerve to keep supporting their proper, credible RWD platform. And then they started making FWD luxury cars, thus ensuring also-ran status for decades to come.

Sad.
DEW bleed money, they had to get rid of it.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
I agree I always thought the Mountaineer was a very nice looking SUV

When I was shopping for my LS I looked high and low for a manual and it was nearly impossible. Of course after I bought mine I found an ultra rare LSE manual only 102 made total. Silver on Black but it had 75k miles and my LS had 25k so I don't think it was really worth it.
Just out of curiosity since I'd always thought yours was a VERY sharp car, what did you end up doing with it? Trade it in or sell it?

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Just out of curiosity since I'd always thought yours was a VERY sharp car, what did you end up doing with it? Trade it in or sell it?
Sadly I was in a collision in December a guy ended up going around another guy turning into my street, I thought I was clear to go but he got impatient and went around right into me. The insurance company totaled her. I miss it a lot specially now since I am driving a Focus I bought off a friend who just moved here and I really don't like it but I got a really good deal on it plus it was less than what State Farm gave me so I ended up with some spare cash. It will hold me over till later this year when I can buy something better but for now I have to try and survive with this car.

I had just taken these photos too and was planning more :(

·
Registered
11,898 Posts

Sad.
Lincoln is a dead brand as we know it now.

HOWEVER, Mercury is alive and well, with kickass product these days. They finally have their own interiors, bodywork, and powertrains which aren't shared with Fords. They just stopped calling the brand Mercury and call it Lincoln now.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts