GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While the aging SRX outsold the aging MKX (3640 to 1996), the new MKC added another 2197, giving Lincoln the win.

Cadillac doesn't have an MKC competitor; they've been putting much of their development dollars into coupes.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
And Buick sold more CUVs than both Lincoln and Cadillac combined.

How is the topic of this thread meaningful? :confused:

·
Registered
16,689 Posts
Why do some here perpetuate the fiction that Cadillac and Lincoln are somehow comparable?

Lincoln has 2 CUV's, Cadillac only one.

Cadillac sells more coupes than Lincoln. So What?

Cadillac sold FAR MORE sedans than Lincoln. So what?

And if you can get Ford to tell you how many of those MKX's went to fleets, let me know.

·
Registered
21,320 Posts
Why do some here perpetuate the fiction that Cadillac and Lincoln are somehow comparable?

And this month with rebates and discounts over $10,000 they sell more this month.......

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Reactions: Dequindre

·
Registered
21,320 Posts
The SRX is in-between the MKC and the MKX - I posted dimensions of the three a week or so back.

Lincoln isn't Cadillac, but Buick isn't Lincoln..... GM's got 4 brands Ford has 2 ..... GM is bigger than Ford and with 4 brands, it needs to be.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
And if you can get Ford to tell you how many of those MKX's went to fleets, let me know.
I doubt that Ford will provide details for October 2014. However, R.L. Polk registration statistics for calendar year 2013 indicate that 6.3% MKX were sold to fleet customers that year.

·
Registered
13,172 Posts

The supposed premise is Lincoln is now exceeding Cadillac ..

All kidding aside the small cuv segment below the SRX is growing quickly as sedans and coupes are contracting in the consumers mind.

Of course gm has Buick and Chevy cuv s in that size bracket it would be nice to have a Mercedes gLA amg competitor from Cadillac....

The Porsche Macan is sold out for 6 months and in fact Porsche will do a six month lease on a boxster s while you wait for your Macan ..

I'm not a fan of cuv s in general but the latest drop of small cuv s from Porsche and the Mercedes gLA amg have begun to peak my interest as a family transport....

If gm created a Cadillac small cuv in the same vein as the GLA amg for 50 grand ...(or the Macan from Porsche) I'd definitely take a test drive to see if it was for me...

A smaller SRX looking beast with the 2 liter 300 hp turbo four and all wheel drive, the new 8L90 and GM would get my money...

Gotta be fast and gotta look sharp.....and not too big...but that 2 liter 300 hp turbo with the A8 to close the deal...

Slam dunk

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
I'm a Ford guy and even so I cringe every time another Ford guy feels the need to post things like this. This is evidence of what exactly? I think posts like this really tell Lincoln's story, when as fans we cling to any shred of evidence that Lincoln is winning. It's like being the fan of the worst team in football and pointing out how your team leads the league in sacks. The real story is the crown is still out of reach but that isn't the story the fan wants to hear.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts

·
Registered
19,265 Posts

It isn't.

How is this thread meaningful other than to either attempt to exalt Lincoln by degrading Cadillac or have another "Caddulak need moar crossovars" thread?

I expect people to comment that they love the MKC. People to comment that it's ugly. People to refute that. People to call it just an Escape.

It goes on.

Cadillac sells more couples than Lincoln. So What?

Because they're stupid? I suspect Cadillac and Lincoln will one day soon be more comparable once Lincoln straightens out its lineup, but until then... there's very little crossover (arg arg arg) between the two.

SRX and MKX are actually comparable. MKC isn't.

All this thread tells us is that Cadillac needs more crossovers... which we already talk about in every Cadillac thread, anyway.

The SRX is in-between the MKC and the MKX - I posted dimensions of the three a week or so back.

Lincoln isn't Cadillac, but Buick isn't Lincoln..... GM's got 4 brands Ford has 2 ..... GM is bigger than Ford and with 4 brands, it needs to be.

SRX is an MKX competitor with horrible packaging. It's roughly the same size an ML, but shorter. Is the ML between the MKC and MKX?

Buick is Lincoln.
No, it isn't.

·
Registered
44,415 Posts

Cadillac sells more couples than Lincoln. So What?

Cadillac and Lincoln haven't been competitors since the turn of the century.
It's people's belief and continued belief to keep clinging onto an idea that the 2 brands are competitors that perpetuates this notion. That's a very 20th century idea and one that is quite defunct.

Cadillac has absolutely nothing to gain by drawing comparisons to Lincoln. For Cadillac, it's "eyes on the prize." And that prize is in Germany.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm a Ford guy and even so I cringe every time another Ford guy feels the need to post things like this. This is evidence of what exactly? I think posts like this really tell Lincoln's story, when as fans we cling to any shred of evidence that Lincoln is winning. It's like being the fan of the worst team in football and pointing out how your team leads the league in sacks. The real story is the crown is still out of reach but that isn't the story the fan wants to hear.
I'm not a Ford guy, nor a GM guy, although I own a Cadillac and a Lincoln. Both nice cars, both nowhere near as nice as they could have been, but better than the alternatives. The point of my post is that several years ago, while considerably underfunded, Lincoln looked at the future market and planned the MKC. Cadillac judged the market differently, and put off any plans for a compact CUV, which could have gotten them into the market.

Cadillac and Lincoln are both storied American luxury brands, both of whom have fallen on hard times due to corporate decisions. Arguably, Lincoln has fallen further, although not as far as other luxury makes whose names only haunt car shows and auctions. Cadillac has declared that they don't see Lincoln as a competitor, and it's clear Lincoln would dearly like to be. And at the moment they *are* competitors for buyers of American CUVs.

Yes, the crown is out of reach for both. But it's still an interesting matchup: Lincoln's attempt to resurrect itself vs Cadillac's trying to make it happen after the first (early 2000's) effort sort of petered out. And they've set out very different goals. Cadillac wants to be spoken of in the same reverent tones as BMW, at least by those who speak of BMW in reverent tones. Lincoln really hasn't articulated much beyond survival, but it appears they'd like to someday be the personification of luxury.

Next year will be verrry interesting. Can the new MKX take sales from the new SRX?. And while even together they aren't going to unseat the new RX, will they make some progress?

·
Registered
683 Posts
It isn't.

How is this thread meaningful other than to either attempt to exalt Lincoln by degrading Cadillac or have another "Caddulak need moar crossovars" thread?

I expect people to comment that they love the MKC. People to comment that it's ugly. People to refute that. People to call it just an Escape.

It goes on.

Because they're stupid? I suspect Cadillac and Lincoln will one day soon be more comparable once Lincoln straightens out its lineup, but until then... there's very little crossover (arg arg arg) between the two.

SRX and MKX are actually comparable. MKC isn't.

All this thread tells us is that Cadillac needs more crossovers... which we already talk about in every Cadillac thread, anyway.

SRX is an MKX competitor with horrible packaging. It's roughly the same size an ML, but shorter. Is the ML between the MKC and MKX?

No, it isn't.

This sums up just about every Lincoln - Cadillac thread over the last few years. LOL

·
Registered
13,043 Posts
Everyone calm down.

The only thing the MKC proves, is that with the right level of execution and attention to detail, Lincoln can deliver a product on par with the best in its segment.

MKZ did as well, but its segment is a little more difficult to define, so that might not be obvious to the average onlooker.

They just need to bring the rest of their lineup to that level, and they'll be in a good place as the money-printing feather in Ford's cap.

Cadillac is trying to do something else entirely.

Reactions: mgescuro

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
The only thing the MKC proves, is that with the right level of execution and attention to detail, Lincoln can deliver a product on par with the best in its segment.
How does the MKC prove that? Most independent reviews of the MKC indicate that it's a decent product that is somewhat more distinctive compared to its Ford sibling than other Lincoln models, but not "on par with the best in its segment" by any stretch.

·
Registered
13,043 Posts
How does the MKC prove that? Most independent reviews of the MKC indicate that it's a decent product that is somewhat more distinctive compared to its Ford sibling than other Lincoln models, but not "on par with the best in its segment" by any stretch.
I'm struggling to name a compact CUV that's conclusively better. Maybe you can help.

1 - 20 of 125 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.