GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lincoln Rumored To Plan A RWD Model But It's Not What You Think

All the big luxury carmakers have done fairly well in the rear-wheel-drive game, what with their big luxury sedans and fancy, um, good styling. So Lincoln has finally decided, reportedly, that it wants a piece of that, and is getting into the game, too. With a crossover.

Yes, a rear-wheel-drive crossover.

Still following, even though that idea sounds ridiculous, because a crossover is meant to provide a modicum of soft-roadability, while also having the traction necessary to pull you out of the occasional mud, which there's a good chance this might not have because rear-wheel-drive isn't famous for being at an advantage when on low-traction surfaces, but this is totally plausible, as it's Lincoln, a company not known for making the best decisions all around?

more at: http://jalopnik.com/lincoln-rumored-to-plan-a-rwd-model-but-its-not-what-yo-1643270438

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
Hmmm... Why not make a very highly flexible RWD platform for Lincoln. It would be great for the high end cars and crossovers, leave the entry level vehicles with the front drive biased AWD system like the new MKC.

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
These are the same guys that said there would be no next generation Taurus. We have seen spy shots of something that looks exactly like a Taurus. I'll take this article with a grain of salt.

·
Registered
11,998 Posts
Hmmm... Why not make a very highly flexible RWD platform for Lincoln. It would be great for the high end cars and crossovers, leave the entry level vehicles with the front drive biased AWD system like the new MKC.
Exactly. The costs would spread nicely with a RWD platformed MKT and MKS, along with another product or two. But that's assuming this type of platform even happens.

But what I think they could also do is utilize the new Mustang's platform with an aluminum exterior (fairly cutting edge at this price point). Give it the contemporary Lincoln look and a snappy interior that has all the latest tech one would expect. My thoughts are that it could be essentially the first small entry luxury sedan to give up 6-cylinder engines with a price and engine setup as follows below. The base 1.6T would be to partially offset the fact that there's no Lincoln competitor to the CLA and A3 (as there shouldn't be, at least not at this point).

$32,000, 1.6T I-4, 200 hp/200 lb-ft; 8AT
$35,500, 2.0T I-4, 250 hp/270 lb-ft; 8AT
$41,000, 2.3T I-4, 310 hp/320 lb-ft; 8AT

The 2.3 EB has more than enough power and torque to compete with the Q50 or ATS 3.6 and even has similar numbers to the FI 6-cylinder German engines - but probably with more efficiency. Another alternative (at more cost) would be to keep the 2.0T for the flagship engine but add an electric motor that drives the front wheels and makes another 75 horsepower or so above the 2.0T, which drives the rear wheels; The standard 2.0T and 1.6T should also offer AWD. Either way, this MKF as I like to call it is much more C-Class than a 3-Series. Comfortable, very elegant, and piles of tech. The Mustang platform should ensure it still drives very well, but this won't be a claimed mega sport sedan. A C-Class personality by far fits Lincoln better than the ATS/3-Series/Q50 marketing. This is an important car as Lincoln goes global, both in the NA but also in markets like China. So ponder the LWB version too.

So basically Lincoln may as well use a couple of RWD platforms but NOT for the reasons of trying to be BMW.

·
Registered
19,265 Posts
The most interesting about this is... what platform? They mention the Territory, but isn't it going out of production?

They say Ford is getting a version, too. Maybe they're bringing production of it here and replacing the Explorer with it?

Is Ford/Lincoln trying to bring a Land Rover/Ranger Rover-y vibe to its lineup? Didn't someone already mention that Lincoln wants the new Navigator to be the American Range Rover?

Whatever it is, I'm interested.

It diminishes one of Lincoln's competitive advantages by utilizing already-amortized Ford platforms.

Lincoln doesn't have much and it wouldn't be half as profitable if it had to accommodate its own RWD platform in its cost structure.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Didn't we just recently hear Lincoln is definitely getting a coupe based on the Mustang platform? That seems both far more likely and more cost effective than the RWD crossover rumor.

If there's anything you can get away with in luxury sales, it's a FWD/AWD crossover. People buying them are far less concerned about driving dynamics than luxury coupes/sedans. So IMO it seems like an idiotic direction to take when the lineup is in dire need of a RWD flagship.

·
Registered
19,265 Posts
Didn't we just recently hear Lincoln is definitely getting a coupe based on the Mustang platform? That seems both far more likely and more cost effective than the RWD crossover rumor.

If there's anything you can get away with in luxury sales, it's a FWD/AWD crossover. People buying them are far less concerned about driving dynamics than luxury coupes/sedans. So IMO it seems like an idiotic direction to take when the lineup is in dire need of a RWD flagship.
Or if Ford is getting one anyway, why not give Lincoln one?

·
Registered
585 Posts
I'm hearing it's a Lincoln Aviator and Ford Explorer going to RWD. Aviator debuts first, with the next-gen Explorer moving that way after the 2016MCE has run its course.

This Aviator will play price-wise close to where the Navigator sits now, allowing the next-gen, "game changing" Navigator to move its price up... quite a bit.

·
Registered
9,566 Posts
I wonder if FORD will bring back the "bronco" as a RWD "SUV" with "classic" design cues to go after JEEP indirectly and also to be sellable as a territory/Everest replacement globally? (I know the Everest is Ranger based but ONE combined RWD UNIBODY car would offer better FE/CO "performance" + packaging advantages
just a thought

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
If this report is true, it should be a great thing for the Lincoln brand. Crossovers are where the luxury market is at right now, so it makes sense for Lincoln to get a quality Aviator.

·
Premium Member
2,854 Posts
I'll believe it when I see it.

However, I'm certain a large RWD utility would bring much greater success to Lincoln than a large RWD sedan. A large RWD crossover would be respected coming from Lincoln. American makers do well when they go large, especially with trucks/crossovers. Unlike the Navi, it can be a true global vehicle as well.

I hope it happens and brings Lincoln success. It just might open the corporate doors for Lincoln to elevate their portfolio in other areas.

·
Registered
6,093 Posts
I wonder if FORD will bring back the "bronco" as a RWD "SUV" with "classic" design cues to go after JEEP indirectly and also to be sellable as a territory/Everest replacement globally? (I know the Everest is Ranger based but ONE combined RWD UNIBODY car would offer better FE/CO "performance" + packaging advantages
just a thought
It's amazing how much brand equity there is in "Bronco" and how reluctant Ford has been to take advantage of that.

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
I really want to believe one flexible platform that could spawn at least two wheelbases and could work for RWD and AWD coupes, sedans, wagons and crossovers could be justified for Lincoln?! No?

On a sort-of-related-note, how much did GM spend on Kappa? If you removed the expense of hydroforming, how many different models (and at what volumes) would it take to justify such a thing?

·
Premium Member
News Contributor
5,624 Posts
Seen in this light, it does makes perfect sense.
The Truth About Cars
But a closer look at the dynamics of the auto market place shows that a new full-size sedan is a fool’s errand. The full-size market is shrinking with each year, as large crossovers take an increasing bite out of a once dominant segment
It also ties into this.
Left Lane News
Rather than basing the three-row Cadillac on the Lambda platform, GM will instead use its new rear-wheel drive Omega architecture set to underpin Cadillac's future flagship sedan.

Cadillac's range-topping sedan, believed to be called LTS, will be a relatively low-volume vehicle, so basing the company's upcoming crossover on the platform will help to drive down costs. The decision to go with a rear-wheel drive platform should also give the crossover zippy handling, which will give it a leg up on vehicles like the Acura MDX and Infiniti QX60.

Timing is a little hazy at this point, but expect to see Cadillac's big crossover within the next 24 months.
PS - Shouldn't this be moved to the Competition News section?

·
Registered
13,043 Posts
I think the Durango is the best example of a RWD crossover done right.

We all knew something was coming to slot between the MKX and Navigator... I guess it will be on this new platform instead of the current Explorer.

Large sedan is also forthcoming... definitely oriented towards Chinese tastes, so think more 2002 Continental Concept than 2014 MKS, generally speaking.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.