GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DETROIT -- It's deja vu: Lincoln is preparing to re-enter the pickup market.

Ford Motor Co. is developing a full-sized Lincoln pickup based off the redesigned Ford F-150 Crew Cab.

The four-door Lincoln is expected to go into production in July 2005, according to the product forecasting arm of J.D. Power and Associates. J.D. Power is estimating production at 15,000 to 20,000 units annually.

While much of the sheet metal is expected to be shared with the Crew Cab, the Lincoln pickup's front end will draw styling cues from the Lincoln Navigator SUV.

"We're really pleased with the launch of the F-150," Lincoln Mercury spokeswoman Sara Tatchio says. "We've looked for several years at different options for Lincoln Mercury showrooms, and this is certainly something to consider."

While not confirming that Lincoln will offer the pickup, she says that "for a long time dealers have been interested in a pickup truck."

This will be Lincoln's second attempt to grab incremental sales from a pickup. The Blackwood entered production in 2001 but was killed in August 2002 after only 4,000 units were produced. Production and quality problems were cited, along with the vehicle's limited appeal.

Full Story HERE

·
Registered
44,258 Posts
What's the use. if it's not the Navigator... it just won't sell for Lincoln. WHo knows why? it just doesn't. Remember the Blackwood and the Aviator?

People said that abouit the Caddy EXT... but for some apparent reason, that truck is still selling. <_<

·
Registered
685 Posts
Our family has an Aviator and I wanted them to wait for the SRX but it is a beautiful SUV. Great interior.

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
Originally posted by Hudson@Nov 18 2003, 09:43 AM
The "successful" Escalade EXT will sell about 11,000 units this year.
I'm not sure if that's a cynical remark, but to clarify, GM's forecasts for the EXT never exceeded 1200 units per month, even after its initial availability. Given that, it's worth noting that the EXT has never failed to please the forecasters at GM, which is why there are no plans to discontinue it. Not only is it good for 12,000-15,000 units a year for Cadillac, but it also single-handedly ended the prospects of its only category competitor inside of six months. Not bad.

The EXT is also proving to be a resounding success as a halo SUV for Cadillac, which is probably why the bean-counters at Ford are finally warming up to the idea of making another go of it for their domestic luxury car division. Lincoln is badly in need of a halo vehicle if they want to continue the momentum established by the new Navigator and all-new Aviator. Once the novelty wears off, something needs to be there to keep drawing the crowds.

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
I think this is great news.

With few exceptions, Lincoln has traditionally followed Cadillac in terms of plotting its course, but they've been a little slow to react while Cadillac has turned out one hit after another. With the Cadillac renaissance well underway, let's hope that this move suggests the beginning of a similar epiphany at Lincoln. It is a great name with a proud history that deserves to be counted among the world's other great luxury nameplates.

BTW, I wonder if Lincoln might also consider a smaller companion to a full-size luxury pickup, sort of like Aviator is to Navigator. There's a completely unexplored market niche that Lincoln could define and possibly exploit... I dunno, what do you folks think? :unsure:

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
I don't think of it as an EXT but more as a Denali/EXT cross. I think if they keep close to the F-150 in looks (and don't add all the PLASTIC) it will be a hit cause the new F-150 does handleas well as any Lincoln.

Explore the smaller market with maybe an Aviator Sport Trac.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Good point about the Aviator truck. I don't expect to see an SRXT or a Caddy on the TB platform, so Caddy wouldn't be in that market. Might work. Or it could be another Blackwoodn't.

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
Originally posted by mgescuro@Nov 18 2003, 03:38 PM
:blink:
i was under the diistinct impression that the Aviator was discontinued due to lack of sales.
<_< hmmm
Whoa. I don't know where you heard that, but they seem to be poppin' out here in SoCal. I didn't see any of them up until a few weeks ago, but now they're everywhere.

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Originally posted by sykboy@Nov 18 2003, 11:06 AM
Our family has an Aviator and I wanted them to wait for the SRX but it is a beautiful SUV. Great interior.
I agree, that is a sweet interior.

The Lincoln pickup could work, but they need to lay off the foo-foo precious wood & upholstery bed.

It will be a rebadged F-150, though. All Ford, Lincoln, Mercury stuff is transparently rebadged these days.

·
Registered
112 Posts
After the Aviator first hit and didn't sell tooo well, there was talk of canceling it. But Ford came out and said they weren't gonna do it (though I think theyre still planning on replacing it with a crossover iwth the Aviator name in the future). As for a small Lincoln truck, I don't think that'd be popular. I can see buying a luxury truck like the new F-150 (4 doors, roomy, etc), but a small truck just doesn't seem like it'd have anything like that. Then again, who ever thought trucks would be were they are today?

I think Lincoln needs more cars like the LS with more of a Lincoln style to them. It'd be nice to see the CTS and LS get into some heavy competition :mf_boff:

·
Registered
44,258 Posts
Originally posted by coolcaddy+Nov 18 2003, 04:01 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (coolcaddy @ Nov 18 2003, 04:01 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-mgescuro@Nov 18 2003, 03:38 PM
:blink:
i was under the diistinct impression that the Aviator was discontinued due to lack of sales.
<_<  hmmm
Whoa. I don't know where you heard that, but they seem to be poppin' out here in SoCal. I didn't see any of them up until a few weeks ago, but now they're everywhere. [/b][/quote]
<_<
I have yet to see an Aviator on the road in NorCal. Seriously. Then again, I don't see that many Navigators either. SF is a Range Rover/Escalade/Cayenne/H2 town, I guess. I've already seen SRX's. Which is kinda weird, since the navigator/Aviator print ad was actually taken at the Embarcadero in SF. HAHA :lol:

But I read *somewhere* that Aviator sales were struggling, and Lincoln will discontinue the model. Oh well.

But hey... if Aviator is still around, I guess the 9-7X will be it's competitor? :huh:

·
Registered
44,258 Posts
Originally posted by daveymcdave@Nov 18 2003, 08:53 PM
After the Aviator first hit and didn't sell tooo well, there was talk of canceling it. But Ford came out and said they weren't gonna do it (though I think theyre still planning on replacing it with a crossover iwth the Aviator name in the future). As for a small Lincoln truck, I don't think that'd be popular. I can see buying a luxury truck like the new F-150 (4 doors, roomy, etc), but a small truck just doesn't seem like it'd have anything like that. Then again, who ever thought trucks would be were they are today?

I think Lincoln needs more cars like the LS with more of a Lincoln style to them. It'd be nice to see the CTS and LS get into some heavy competition :mf_boff:
:unsure:
Maybe that was it?? Maybe they realized that if Aviator failed, they wouldn't have much of a lineup at Lincoln, so they hunkered down and tried their best??
I never thought of the LS as CTS competitor. More of an SLS competitor actually.

As for a pickup truck from Lincoln? it won't sell. Not one bit.
But if it does... then Caddy will have one. <_< And that may sell. Just call it the Escalade EPT (Escalade Pickup Truck). Hahaha :lol:

·
Registered
112 Posts
I've seen a few Aviators (and a Blackwood) here in the southern valley of California.

I'm not sure if the LS and CTS are direct competitors, whether they are or not, I'd still like to see some Lincoln vs Caddy competition again. You can only get so excited about Towncars vs Sevilles :ph34r:

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
f150 with navigator styling huh.. for some reason that sounds real familiar.. oh yeah, its a conversion boys around my town been doing to their f150's since the lincoln navigator 1st came out(bet thats all it'll be). ford/lincoln/mercury is really lacking in the creative idea dept for along time now.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts