GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
FYI: You'll need to join/log in to that website in order to look at the attached pdf! :(

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
I hope the EcoBoost is relatively inexpensive (like the DI on the CTS)...270 hp and 4300+ lbs. with AWD does not bode well.

·
Registered
13,043 Posts
I hope the EcoBoost is relatively inexpensive (like the DI on the CTS)...270 hp and 4300+ lbs. with AWD does not bode well.
I don't expect EcoBoost to be THAT cheap... I'd say a $1,200 option on the low end.

Keep in mind the primary market for these cars in the first 2 years. People trading in old Lincoln LSs, Continentals, and Town Cars for a new Lincoln sedan. 270hp is QUITE enough pep for these owners, who are looking more for refinement and quality than neck-snapping acceleration.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
I don't expect EcoBoost to be THAT cheap... I'd say a $1,200 option on the low end.

Keep in mind the primary market for these cars in the first 2 years. People trading in old Lincoln LSs, Continentals, and Town Cars for a new Lincoln sedan. 270hp is QUITE enough pep for these owners, who are looking more for refinement and quality than neck-snapping acceleration.
I agree, if that's the intended market. But, they risk losing people like myself. I'm in my early thirties, and at the end of my MKZ lease (late '09) will consider upgrading to the MKS, but not if the EcoBoost is several thousand more than the base model. After the MKZ, which has decent but not great power with the D35 (I do often find myself wanting more power) there's no way I'd consider owning an MKS with the base motor-esp. when a 304-bhp CTS is available for around 35K.

Then again, most people in my demographic probably wouldn't consider the MKS anyway, so Lincoln probably isn't concerned about me as a buyer.

·
Registered
8,971 Posts
I agree, if that's the intended market. But, they risk losing people like myself. I'm in my early thirties, and at the end of my MKZ lease (late '09) will consider upgrading to the MKS, but not if the EcoBoost is several thousand more than the base model. After the MKZ, which has decent but not great power with the D35 (I do often find myself wanting more power) there's no way I'd consider owning an MKS with the base motor-esp. when a 304-bhp CTS is available for around 35K.

Then again, most people in my demographic probably wouldn't consider the MKS anyway, so Lincoln probably isn't concerned about me as a buyer.
The MKZ is just a little bit larger than the CTS inside. The MKS is bigger inside than the STS and not too far off the DTS or the Town Car. It's 12 inches longer, 3 inches wider, and 3 inches taller than the CTS.

If the extra size doesn't appeal to you, I would bet an EcoBoost MKZ (which would presumably cost the same or less than a CTS SIDI) would make more sense than an EcoBoost MKS.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
The MKZ is just a little bit larger than the CTS inside. The MKS is bigger inside than the STS and not too far off the DTS or the Town Car. It's 12 inches longer, 3 inches wider, and 3 inches taller than the CTS.

If the extra size doesn't appeal to you, I would bet an EcoBoost MKZ (which would presumably cost the same or less than a CTS SIDI) would make more sense than an EcoBoost MKS.
I would consider an EcoBoost MKZ, but I'm not sure that there are plans for one. I would even consider an EcoBoost Taurus if Ford could get the dynamics right.

The differences in size honestly don't matter to me that much...I shop by price more than size, so at 35-37K I likely will be looking at a DI CTS and MKS and possibly a stripper 335i sedan as well- how's that for strange cross-shopping. But, I didn't realize the MKS was that big.

·
Registered
8,971 Posts
I would consider an EcoBoost MKZ, but I'm not sure that there are plans for one.
I have no idea, but it seems very weird if Ford skips it. The MKS, like I said, is relatively big - easily 7-series/A8/LS/S-class in interior capacity.

I would think the MKZ is still going to be Ford's entry level midsize sport sedan competitor, and 263 horsepower would have been perfectly acceptable 6 years ago but no longer attracts any attention.

·
Registered
13,043 Posts
I have no idea, but it seems very weird if Ford skips it. The MKS, like I said, is relatively big - easily 7-series/A8/LS/S-class in interior capacity.

I would think the MKZ is still going to be Ford's entry level midsize sport sedan competitor, and 263 horsepower would have been perfectly acceptable 6 years ago but no longer attracts any attention.
For right now, the main issue with the EcoBoost 3.5 is that it doesn't physically fit in the engine bay of the Fusion/Milan/MKZ. Something to do with the hood. Fear not, though. The EcoBoost I4 will make an appearance for next year.

For MY2012-2013, the Fusion and Mondeo will merge into a single vehicle, which will be designed for the EcoBoost from the get-go. Hence, the MKZ will likely get it.

·
Registered
8,971 Posts
For right now, the main issue with the EcoBoost 3.5 is that it doesn't physically fit in the engine bay of the Fusion/Milan/MKZ. Something to do with the hood. Fear not, though. The EcoBoost I4 will make an appearance for next year.

For MY2012-2013, the Fusion and Mondeo will merge into a single vehicle, which will be designed for the EcoBoost from the get-go. Hence, the MKZ will likely get it.
Thanks for the information.

Will the EcoBoost I4 offer more power than the 3.5 liter V6?

The MKZ is not a bad car and 263 horsepower is plenty as the entry level engine. But most of the competition are now running at 300 horsepower on the upper engine option, and it would be nice if Ford can match that before model year 2012.

·
Registered
13,043 Posts
Thanks for the information.

Will the EcoBoost I4 offer more power than the 3.5 liter V6?

The MKZ is not a bad car and 263 horsepower is plenty as the entry level engine. But most of the competition are now running at 300 horsepower on the upper engine option, and it would be nice if Ford can match that before model year 2012.
There are two versions of the EB I4. The 2.0 will offer around 200hp, and the 2.5 will offer around 275-280hp. Both will likely see duty in the Fusion, but we'll have to wait and see.

Speaking of the MKZ... it is going to get the 3.7L V6 for the refresh, and within a year or two of launch of the new model, we'll see the DI version, whether optional or standard. Last I heard (around 6 months ago), they were getting about 325hp out of it on regular gas in testing.

I had also heard this engine was being considered to launch in the MKS, but they decided not to, for reasons I don't understand.

·
Registered
5,986 Posts

·
Registered
8,971 Posts
There are two versions of the EB I4. The 2.0 will offer around 200hp, and the 2.5 will offer around 275-280hp. Both will likely see duty in the Fusion, but we'll have to wait and see.

Speaking of the MKZ... it is going to get the 3.7L V6 for the refresh, and within a year or two of launch of the new model, we'll see the DI version, whether optional or standard. Last I heard (around 6 months ago), they were getting about 325hp out of it on regular gas in testing.

I had also heard this engine was being considered to launch in the MKS, but they decided not to, for reasons I don't understand.
200 will be great for an economical but sporty entry level. 275-280 will be good for the MKZ, especially if they keep the price competitive.

I'm sure the 3.7 will be a big help and 3.7 DI will be even better. Thanks for the information.

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
I know Bill Blass is dead.......but come on.....not one single 'Designer Edition' ?? :D

·
Premium Member
5,033 Posts
I know Bill Blass is dead.......but come on.....not one single 'Designer Edition' ?? :D

Old school. Everyone saw through those overpriced "gawdy mobiles".
That may play to the over 65 crowd. I don't think thats where the MKS is heading.

·
Banned
1,436 Posts
I love this car.
Seriously, this thing will easily outsell the CTS, especially when you consider a 350HP version with AWD will start around $40K. The CTS-V is far too expensive, impossible to insure, hard to get, will surely get horrible mileage and yes even caddy owners will care when they are paying over $4 per gallon. Lincoln is on the right track finally, and I am glad they did not chase Caddy, who was busy chasing BMW...at least in price. This Lincoln is a total value.

·
Registered
13,043 Posts
I love this car.
Seriously, this thing will easily outsell the CTS, especially when you consider a 350HP version with AWD will start around $40K. The CTS-V is far too expensive, impossible to insure, hard to get, will surely get horrible mileage and yes even caddy owners will care when they are paying over $4 per gallon. Lincoln is on the right track finally, and I am glad they did not chase Caddy, who was busy chasing BMW...at least in price. This Lincoln is a total value.
Doesn't the CTS sell in the 7k per month range?

I'd say 2-3k per month sounds more reasonable.

MKZ, which is basically a smaller MKS in principle, hasn't broken 4k yet.

·
Banned
1,436 Posts
Doesn't the CTS sell in the 7k per month range?

I'd say 2-3k per month sounds more reasonable.

MKZ, which is basically a smaller MKS in principle, hasn't broken 4k yet.

6045 CTS sales in March.
3500 MKZ sales.

I thought I read that MKS sales are expected to be about 65K. I bet they will exceed that, and maybe over 6K per month too, and as CTS sales settle down, that is a possibility. Once the EcoBoosted MKS appears, I bet it will really help sales.

·
Premium Member
5,033 Posts
Well, for all you Michiganders, the time to be on the road is 8:45 AM on Sundays.
Yesterday i was treated to a caravan of MKS and Flex vehicles, north of M-59.
I think the blue oval will be doing just fine.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts