GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wanna know what ford spit out of thier @$$ today...or a couple months ago....the lincoln mark x, fords thunderturd counterpart. compared to the thunderbird its nice looking acctually. If i had better computer skills i would have posted the el camino i made out of it because its looks close but i have paint so give me a break.... if anyone can do so please post it. anyway since i heard from motor trend that ford will stop the production of the thunderbird in a year, i wonder how this will do...

The Mark X is based on Ford's Thunderbird So Production Isn't Out of the Question

One look at the Mark X two-seat concept roadster and it's easy to tell that it's based off of the Ford Thunderbird, but with advanced "Lincolnesque" elements. The Mark X features a polished aluminum egg-crate grille, a rippling pattern of vertical and horizontal chrome trim that will appear on future Lincolns, Mays said.
Few pics

full story here

·
Registered
44,291 Posts
Originally posted by chadbarb99@Jan 25 2004, 06:26 PM
Lincoln's answer to the Cadillac XLR
<_< Nooo... it's Lincoln's answer to the Thunderbird.
Ford's competitior to XLR is the XK8.

·
Registered
651 Posts
It won't get built, I read an interview with one of the Lincoln design execs and he said that it was already being built when he came along otherwise he would have killed the concept right away. Lincoln will get a coupe in a few yrs but it will probably not be based on the T-Bird platform.

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
This car has never made any sense to my stylistically. It looks like someone's desperate attempt to graft every imaginable design trick onto one car, hoping that someone will like something about it. The Aviator concept was even worse.

Lincoln has really lost their way. I thought their '04 concepts were pathetically hollow and unimaginative.

...and I say this as a Lincoln fanatic. I'd take the current Town Car or Aviator over their stale concept cars.

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
Ford is discontinuing the Thunderbird because it won't pass future safety regulations. If sales had been better, they could have engineered in the necessary improvements, but Ford always said the Thunderbird was to be a short-lived model.

The Mark X was designed before Lincoln's new designer came on board. He stated that he wouldn't have done the Mark X...and it was just a placeholder in the concept lineup. It was never planned for production.

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
Originally posted by Hudson@Jan 26 2004, 12:25 AM
The Mark X was designed before Lincoln's new designer came on board. He stated that he wouldn't have done the Mark X...and it was just a placeholder in the concept lineup. It was never planned for production.
Oh geez. Well, that's good news from the standpoint that this year's concepts may not translate into real Lincolns, but bad news in the sense that we're going to have to wait at least another year for a new batch of concepts, another several months after that for FoMoCo to gauge the public's reaction and decide to go forward with them (assuming they aren't the disaster these were), and then another two or three years until we actually see them.

That puts the Lincoln renaissance (if we ever see one) way out toward the end of the decade. I mean, let's say they finally hit the nail on the head in model year 2009 with one or two breakthrough models--by then, Cadillac is in its 2nd generation of its renaissance cars, a full line of V-series models, some V12's sprinkled here and there, and high-end models in six-figure territory!

This is so pathetic and depressing. <_<

Then again, perhaps history is repeating itself. Last time Lincoln looked this far out of step, it produced the '61 Continental in its desperation. That changed everything.

Come on, Lincoln! Let's see what you got!

·
Registered
5 Posts

That's not a Lincoln....

THAT's a Lincoln.

I don't see how they can make a Mark X, when they have not made a Mark IX.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Originally posted by crash@Jan 30 2004, 05:38 PM

That's not a Lincoln....

THAT's a Lincoln.

The last Lincoln Mark concept that came out before the Mark VIII was the Mark IX. Lincoln always names it's Mark concepts one Mark ahead of the actual name that will be used. So the next production Mark will use IX to keep in the proper roman numeral sequence.. After all refering to a "Mark" means literally marking the next change or evolution in a body style as they commonly refer to vehicles in Europe.

The Lincoln Mark X concept will not make it to production in that form. It is just previewing styling and feature ideas for future models. It has been reported that the actual next Mark will reach production as a convertible but look quite different.

It has also been reported that the Thunderbird nameplate will not be dead. When the current roadster goes out of production it will be replaced with a modern four seat RWD V8 car that will become Ford's flagship vehicle.

·
Premium Member
12,307 Posts
Originally posted by crash@Jan 30 2004, 06:38 PM
Chrysler went from 300M back to 300C instead of 300N.
Anything can happen in the name game.

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
Originally posted by Rex Raider+Jan 30 2004, 06:10 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Rex Raider @ Jan 30 2004, 06:10 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-crash@Jan 30 2004, 06:38 PM
Anything can happen in the name game. [/b][/quote]
The naaaame gaaaaame...

Rex Raider!
Rex Raider-Raider-bo-baider
Banana-fana fo-faider
Me mi mo-maider
Rex Raaaaaider...

:rudolph:

·
Registered
922 Posts
Originally posted by coolcaddy+Jan 30 2004, 06:20 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (coolcaddy @ Jan 30 2004, 06:20 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by Rex [email protected] 30 2004, 06:10 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-crash
@Jan 30 2004, 06:38 PM

Anything can happen in the name game.
The naaaame gaaaaame...

Rex Raider!
Rex Raider-Raider-bo-baider
Banana-fana fo-faider
Me mi mo-maider
Rex Raaaaaider...

:rudolph: [/b][/quote]
You made me laugh...
By the way what kinda safety criteria would the Thunderbird not meet?? The DEW98 is a pretty new platform??

oh yah another by the way.. CoolCaddy does it bug you that people (like me) have similar avitars?? My first one was black then changed it to blue to help differntiate, not creative enough to make a sweet caddy avitar, so I just copied a pic online.

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
Originally posted by LGRpup@Jan 30 2004, 09:09 PM
CoolCaddy does it bug you that people (like me) have similar avitars??  My first one was black then changed it to blue to help differntiate, not creative enough to make a sweet caddy avitar, so I just copied a pic online.
Thanks for asking. Having invented the wreath and crest myself way back in 1902, I was considering exacting some sort of usage fee. Please deposit 25 cents into your A: drive now.

... :p

Actually, I never thought twice about it. Besides, the more Cadillac logos I see on my screen, the more pleasant my viewing experience anyway. B)

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
Originally posted by Watchdevil@Jan 30 2004, 06:05 PM
The last Lincoln Mark concept that came out before the Mark VIII was the Mark IX. Lincoln always names it's Mark concepts one Mark ahead of the actual name that will be used. So the next production Mark will use IX to keep in the proper roman numeral sequence.. After all refering to a "Mark" means literally marking the next change or evolution in a body style as they commonly refer to vehicles in Europe.

The Lincoln Mark X concept will not make it to production in that form. It is just previewing styling and feature ideas for future models. It has been reported that the actual next Mark will reach production as a convertible but look quite different.

It has also been reported that the Thunderbird nameplate will not be dead. When the current roadster goes out of production it will be replaced with a modern four seat RWD V8 car that will become Ford's flagship vehicle.
I was confused by this comment. The MK9 (not Mark IX) was a concept coupe a few years ago and it followed the end of production for the Mark VIII. I don't recall the name of the concept that led to the Mark VIII (something like CCS), but it wasn't called "Mark," just as the Mark VII's concept version wasn't (it was the Concept 90).

The Mark X was intended to introduce the public to Lincoln's new look. The first production vehicle to wear it will be the 2006 Aviator.

And the Thunderbird misses some safety regulation that goes into effect shortly...side-impact or something. It has nothing to do with the safety of the DEW98 platform and everything to do with the specifications of the Thunderbird body.

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
Originally posted by Hudson@Feb 2 2004, 03:21 PM
The Mark X was intended to introduce the public to Lincoln's new look. The first production vehicle to wear it will be the 2006 Aviator.
:huh: Huh? Is this true?

I've heard almost universally negative reaction to the '04 Lincoln concepts. I'd be surprised (and disappointed) to hear they're actually going to go through with building something like the Aviator concept.

If you have any articles you can link that would shed some light on this, I'd be most interested to find out what's going on. :blink:

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
Straight from the Lincoln press kit....

"The next-generation Aviator will be a new kind of Lincoln -- its first-ever, car-based SUV...The teaaser vehicle that debuts at the 2004 North American International Auto Show signals future Lincoln entry."

"Aviator is hear to stay and is evolving to meet customer demand."

"The teaser [the vehicle shown at NAIAS], much like the future Aviator, is a midsize sports crossover designed with distinction, but it does not forget where it came from."

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Originally posted by Hudson@Feb 2 2004, 03:21 PM

I was confused by this comment. The MK9 (not Mark IX) was a concept coupe a few years ago and it followed the end of production for the Mark VIII. I don't recall the name of the concept that led to the Mark VIII (something like CCS), but it wasn't called "Mark," just as the Mark VII's concept version wasn't (it was the Concept 90).

And the Thunderbird misses some safety regulation that goes into effect shortly...side-impact or something. It has nothing to do with the safety of the DEW98 platform and everything to do with the specifications of the Thunderbird body.
I remember now the former Mark concepts had a variation of the Mark name. The MK9 literally was an alphanumeric abbreviation for Mark IX, probably following current naming trends that Cadillac and most import vehicles are using. The Concept for the Mark VIII was called "Marque X" I believe. I have a picture of it at home and I can check on this later. I did not mean to imply that ALL Mark concepts followed the "Mark ahead" roman numeral sequence.

The Thunderbird Roadster isn't going out of production just because of safety regulations. They planned from the very beginning to build a limited number of vehicles for a limited number of years. It's lack of popularity due to the high price and limited appeal as a roadster is ending the production run a little sooner than expected. If it was important enough for Ford to keep this incarnation of the Thunderbird roadster then they would have made it compliant to any changing safety regulations. Instead they are taking the Thunderbird into a familiar old direction by placing it back on a flagship RWD four seater platform.

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
Originally posted by Hudson@Feb 2 2004, 03:41 PM
Straight from the Lincoln press kit....

"The next-generation Aviator will be a new kind of Lincoln -- its first-ever, car-based SUV...The teaaser vehicle that debuts at the 2004 North American International Auto Show signals future Lincoln entry."

"Aviator is hear to stay and is evolving to meet customer demand."

"The teaser [the vehicle shown at NAIAS], much like the future Aviator, is a midsize sports crossover designed with distinction, but it does not forget where it came from."
Hmm. Well, none of that says to me that the next Aviator will necessarily be based on the concept, except maybe that last quote. Even then, saying "much like the future Aviator" still sounds a bit noncommital.

I'm not trying to nit-pick at what you're saying--I'm just skeptical that we'll see a Lincoln that bears a close resemblance to this year's concepts.

Then again, my skepticism might actually be a form of wishful thinking on my part; I really thought the Aviator concept sucked and I don't want to see Lincoln go out on a limb with such a poorly received concept.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts