GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
11,071 Posts
Looking at the advanced design of light commercial vehicles coming out of Europe, it really makes our ancient Econolines and Savanas, rooted in late-60s design principles, look like the inefficient dinosaurs they are.

How anyone could suggest that a Transit, Boxer, or Movano are uglier than Ford's and GM's domestic vans baffles me.

·
Registered
11,071 Posts
No one says they are pretty but they do a great job. Time will tell what will happen but a 3/4 ton Van with a bin package and roof racks is a great value. Vans need to generate income not look good.
It's not that I find the E-series or Savana particularly ugly, it's more just that they're such ancient relics. Other than styling, they're not one bit different from the '75 Econoline or '71 Vandura! And their styling is just the old '75 and '71 themes slightly updated. I mean GM's had only two van designs in 38 years! I know vans shouldn't be slaves to fashion like cars are, but I reckon I'm just disappointed that once again Detroit gets shown a clean pair of heels by the Europeans.

It would be interesting if GM designed a new global large van, letting Opel sever ties with Renault. They could be assembled at Wentzville and exported globally. Between the weak dollar, and the high price Europeans are willing to pay for large vans, GM could make out like bandits!

If you see the attention Euro vans pay to the "Driver's Workstation" you'll see just how ancient America's two offerings are in comparison.

At least they're sturdy, and relatively cheap!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts