GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm seeing some wonderful stuff in this section (really nice paint jobs too). I thought I'd post my own. I actually worked on this last year. Maisto introduced a new model, a fleetside F-150. They usually sold the flareside model, but now they have the fleetside, with Harley Davidson versions as well.

I didn't really like the way the truck looked stock. Maisto almost always makes the wheels and tires too small for trucks in my opinion, so I thought I would lift it using parts from another cheap lifted truck.

Here's what the truck looked like after purchase:

Here's the finished result:

I don't have much experience with metals or welding or plastics, so the running boards, the roof rack, the light rack up front and the tonneau are all balsa wood (easy to cut and sand). The truck is just for show anyway. It does have working suspension.

I need to find better ways to paint, such as airbrushing. You'll notice the rough paint job on the truck, especially the bedwall. If anyone has good suggestions to painting, I'd like to hear it. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
I'm seeing some wonderful stuff in this section (really nice paint jobs too). I thought I'd post my own. I actually worked on this last year. Maisto introduced a new model, a fleetside F-150. They usually sold the flareside model, but now they have the fleetside, with Harley Davidson versions as well.

I didn't really like the way the truck looked stock. Maisto almost always makes the wheels and tires too small for trucks in my opinion, so I thought I would lift it using parts from another cheap lifted truck.

Here's what the truck looked like after purchase:

Here's the finished result:

I don't have much experience with metals or welding or plastics, so the running boards, the roof rack, the light rack up front and the tonneau are all balsa wood (easy to cut and sand). The truck is just for show anyway. It does have working suspension.

I need to find better ways to paint, such as airbrushing. You'll notice the rough paint job on the truck, especially the bedwall. If anyone has good suggestions to painting, I'd like to hear it. Thanks.
as usual, your work is beautiful!! let me know if you ever find a GMT 900 silverado regular cab long bed!! Im working on a model, and i cant find a 1/25 scale new body for it.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I really hope to have a lot of time this summer so I can get more drawing done. I'm currently working on a crazy hotrod semi truck design. The drawing is more of a presentational piece more than a conceptual sketch. Anyway, I may post that up in a few weeks.

Man, no matter how much I look on the net, nobody makes a good Silverado replica:(. It seems everyone just wants FORDS FORDS FORDS (not that there's anything wrong with them). The best I could find are 1999 Silverado half-ton (fleetside and stepside) from a company called Welly. I have the fleetside, and I plan on making it a prerunner if I have some time this summer. I don't really know how I'll extend the fenders or even make the suspension just yet.

There is also a 1999 3500 Silverado made by some European toy company, but I had to be a resident in Europe to purchase it, even online. The replica was nice and fairly accurate though.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Nice work! If you want tips on painting and such, you really need to check out a model forum. Try BMC (Brians Model Cars) for starters. Great site, not overly critical - as in if you mess up (and looking at this I don't think you'd be faulted for messing up a bunch!) they don't come down on you like a bunch of school girls for wearing the wrong makeup with your sweater. LOL Some sites they can really get bitchy!

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks redstuff. I'll check it out. It seems everyone uses airbrushing to paint their cars. My friend even recommended it. I have to wait on that though, money's tight right now.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts