GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
19,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Life with a Tesla Model S: Two years on, has the charge worn off?
By Marco R. della Cava
November 5, 2014 2:46 PM
Motoramic

Two years after its launch, the Tesla Model S remains a hot topic among electric car fans, automakers and the public at large. Tesla has issued a steady stream of rolling changes to the S — from the four-wheel-drive setup shared with the upcoming Model X SUV to new body shields — while other automakers have targeted luxury electric buyers, (the BMW i3 being a prime example.)

So it seemed like a good time to circle back to early Model S owner Franklin Parlamis, a Bay Area financial analyst who gave us the good, the bad and the ugly roughly six months into his ownership of a $100,000 Tesla Signature Series Model S with the Performance package (0 to 60 in 4.2 seconds).

In that first blush of ownership, he was smitten with the car’s speed and styling, both of which generated conversations at every stoplight. But he was disappointed that true battery range was closer to 250 miles than the advertised 300. He loved the kid-gloves customer service that dealt with a cracked windshield instantly, but bemoaned the lack of cupholders in the rear. He loved the computer-like upgradeability of the car’s operating system, but felt less than comfortable driving what he considered to be a rich person’s vehicle.

Now after two years and with 19,000 miles on the S’s odometer, Parlamis fills us in on:

Continues at link: https://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motor...rs-on--has-the-charge-worn-off-194650582.html

·
Registered
19,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Seems to be holding up well, as it should being an electric (less moving parts).

Ouch on the tires and rims.

And the guy is surprised that going uphill drained his battery quickly? And he's also surprised that a $30,000 Camaro doesn't have as nice of an interior? Though I'm no fan of the Camaro interior, can't they pick on a Camry instead? :)

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
He's also surprised that he's getting less range, he added a luggage rack to the top to make the car less richey rich, he's surprised that the Camero :)D) doesn't have as nice an interior, and he and his wife don't feel comfortable driving the car because they feel it's a rich persons car? Where did they dig this clown up?

This guy is in the wrong car to begin with and the reason why GM needs to do a better job of marketing the Volt.

Curious about the wheels though.

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD
13,474 Posts
I'm not the least bit surprised by the wheel and tire issues considering their nature. Why anyone would have a car like this then thwart its very purpose with a stupid-ass roof rack is beyond me. I thought it rather neat that the car learned to raise itself for the driveway. I also believe you should buy according to needs etc., and this is at the top end of the "statement car" thing and there are better alternatives for electric car choices. And me being a GM'er I'd go Volt.

·
Super Moderator
2011 Chevrolet Camaro SS - 6M w/LS3
4,299 Posts
Still not ready to be an only-car.

And the rich-man's car comment is telling. There's more to owning a high-end car than just making out the check for the monthly lease payment. Replacement parts are not cheap if they're not covered under warranty.

While the Model S is clearly an outstanding car, I'd still buy an S-Class if I were shopping in that price range.

·
Registered
2015 Cadillac XTS Platinum, 1989 Merkur XR4Ti, 1989 Merkur Scorpio
11,308 Posts
$6K for 19's is ridiculous.
Believe it or not, there are factory 21's (a very odd size) available for the Model S.
They must have o-rings for tires... and would surely not live long.

This is why I would never own a Tesla, even though I have owned many re-owned luxury cars.
Once it's out of warranty {like my '05 Mercedes) they've got you by the short n curlies.
Everything has to come from them and they will gouge you like few others.

I can take a Mercedes (or Cadillac, Jaguar, Infiniti, etc.) to my independent mechanic.
He's an honest guy and fixes most things quite reasonably.

Frankly, I'd buy a pre-owned Rolls or Bentley before I'd buy a Tesla.
I can buy a set of 20" genuine Rolls-Royce wheels + tires online for much less than $6K.

And me being a GM'er I'd go Volt.
ELR all they way.
It'll cost a fraction of what a Tesla costs and be far more exclusive.

In the long run, sharing a powertrain with the Volt may not end up being such a bad thing.
Anyone who can fix a Volt should be able to fix an ELR.
Even if you had to go to a Chevy dealer, I doubt they would charge anywhere near what Tesla does.

Plus, I really like that Voltecs are very kind to their batteries.
Unlike Leafs and Teslas, they're never subjected to the abuse of fast charging.
I'd be extremely confident a Voltec drive unit would last the life of the car.

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
I hope GM reads this. Although not even in the same ballpark when it comes to price, the Camaro's interior is pretty bad. It needs a complete overhaul for the next gen. It needs better materials, better visibility and more tech. I'm confident that GM can meet that goal, easily.

·
Registered
13,172 Posts
Two years in every one finds a few faults in any car if they are being honest

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Well, I believe the EPA estimate is 265 not 300, so 250 is not bad.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Still a toy for the rich. It has cost him $250 per month for only the tires and wheels. Also, even if the electricity is free, he could have driven a luxury car that gets 20 MPG and pay $4 per gallon for under $160 per month. The cost per mile driven is hugh when you consider all expenses and depreciation.

·
Registered
11,898 Posts
Why'd he bend the wheels? How many potholes are around San Francisco? We in Michigan don't bend wheels that often but he managed to

·
Registered
2015 Cadillac XTS Platinum, 1989 Merkur XR4Ti, 1989 Merkur Scorpio
11,308 Posts
Lose the wide low profile tires. They may not look as beefy, but skinnier, high section tires prevent the smaller diameter rims from damaging.
19's are the standard wheel. No smaller OEM wheel.
I agree... if the 19's all got dinged to the tune of $6K, I sure wouldn't put the same thing back on it.
You could buy some pretty awesome 18's for $6K.

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
Didn't feel 'comfortable' driving a rich person's vehicle? The opinion of someone foolish enough to buy a car he doesn't feel 'comfortable' with in the first place is pretty darn useless to me. Can we get the opinion of someone who bought a Tesla knowing full well what he was buying, and can comment on whether or not the car lives up to his initial expectations? I wouldn't want this guy's advice on a toaster, forget a luxury car.

·
Registered
9,570 Posts
Didn't feel 'comfortable' driving a rich person's vehicle? The opinion of someone foolish enough to buy a car he doesn't feel 'comfortable' with in the first place is pretty darn useless to me. Can we get the opinion of someone who bought a Tesla knowing full well what he was buying, and can comment on whether or not the car lives up to his initial expectations? I wouldn't want this guy's advice on a toaster, forget a luxury car.
I would like to know why he chose the Tesla as I get the impression it was for some sort of "ECO-COOL" more then the cars merits and the "OTHER" choices are VERY down market (iMIEV/LEAF)

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
As an outsider looking in....I have just returned from a few weeks in the US and Canadia.... seemed that Teslas were everywhere in Seattle and Vancouver... had to actually get in a queue to sit in one at the central Vancouver shopfront.... it was a beautiful car but not sure it is worth the $100k+ in Oz. (Yes GMNA, Tesla can build in RHD!)

By comparison Volts were very few and far between... (including one on the back of an auto club flat bed, not a good look). I'm guessing that Volt V2 can't come along quick enough for GM.

·
Registered
44,427 Posts
Why'd he bend the wheels? How many potholes are around San Francisco? We in Michigan don't bend wheels that often but he managed to
There is so much construction up and down the Bay Area, it's quite possible. The roads here aren't in that good condition.
He has low profile tires an wasn't used to driving on them, seeing as he drove a Subaru prior to the Model S.

He seems to have learned his lesson. He could be driving an S-Class with low profile tires, and he'd still have the same problem

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
While all cars are (and should be) open for criticism you can't deny that for a first effort, the Tesla Model S is just phenomenal. It's getting genuine comparisons with brands that have been around for donkeys years and in many cases winning.

I mean it's just a brilliant exercise in someone looking at what has been done forever, saying they can do something better and just going for it. I can't wait to see what they come up with next.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts