GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now if there is one thing I've learned in this world it's that appearances are everything.

Lexus does a good job on that, anyone seen their "H" hybrid ads?

Almost as good as perhaps the best car commercial ever (IMO), also from Lexus:

Imagine if GM did something as amazing for the Volt once it comes out, there are many possibilities for commercials.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
You know, I hate the "moments" commercial... I actually didn't know it was for Lexus because I have to turn it off as soon as I hear it. LOL

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Lexus has phenomenal ads. I really think it's a huge part of why the brand does so well in the US.

Pretty much everything they do is great. Even the not so important ads are done well. Like the one for the pebble beach RX

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
Funny (not surprisingly to you guys, I'm sure) none of those appeal to me whatsoever, but I Love Pontiac's middle one has pretty cool effects.

Maybe they're designed to appeal to the upwardly mobile snob, but that sure isn't me. Maybe paying 10 grand extra for an SUV hybrid that gets the same mileage as a normal V8 one does appeals to the green factor in some, but to me that's 10 grand wasted.

And..if Volt's debut is accompanied by commercials like those, it's dead meat, IMO. The present one ("The Future Hums") is decent, if not earth shattering.

·
Registered
4,152 Posts
I cannot say that any of Lexus's commercials tickle me, other than the 400h commercial above.

It just really bores me to listen to somebody talk through an entire commercial, especially when the visuals aren't really that interesting...

-Chase

·
Registered
7,874 Posts

Those moment ads were awful. Here is a EU Saab ad, that we so desperately need in NA.

·
Registered
7,874 Posts
^Wow. That's the best SAAB ad I have seen since... ever.
And yet GM thinks it won't appeal to US customer bank and instead of consolidating and having one ad agency, we must have two. One phenomenal one in EU and one ****ty ****ty one throwing us this immature Born From Jets crap.

O and ... :hijack:

·
Premium Member
12,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think when it comes to car commercials, and especially for luxury cars, you have to sell more than just a car in your ads, you have to sell a feeling or a way of life. That's why I think the Lexus ads are so effective.

BTW that Saab ad is also very good!

·
Premium Member
9,366 Posts
I don't get what is so impressive about these hybrid ads? :confused: I don't see them as being effective at all. The ones I-Love-Pontiac posted are a bit better but still I don't see greatness here whatsover. The first Euro Saab ad is pretty cool, but the second Euro one is dumb, IMO.

·
Registered
7,874 Posts
Or there are the "Release Me" ads. There are many different versions, some are promoting a special anniversary addition of the 9-3 or 9-5. While the original promoted the range of BioPower engines which really makes the most sense. Or there is an Australian version promoting the new individual look of new 9-3 range...but this is the best version.

·
Premium Member
9,366 Posts
Or there are the "Release Me" ads. There are many different versions, some are promoting a special anniversary addition of the 9-3 or 9-5. While the original promoted the range of BioPower engines which really makes the most sense. Or there is an Australian version promoting the new individual look of new 9-3 range...but this is the best version.

Yeah, that's definitely a really cool ad! Like that one a lot, my favorite by far. :yup:

·
Premium Member
12,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I respectfully disagree with your choice of the best automotive ad of all time. I think this is far better:

And of course Honda's cog commercial:
Wow I've never seen that porsche commercial! I have to say I agree with you, it is better than the lexus one.

The Honda cog commercial is pretty clever but a tad boring. Still a great commercial.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
The Porsche ad was nice... but very long. What I like a lot about that Saab ad is how they really get the point across in a short amount of time.

And actually you could have replaced that 911 with any super car, and the ad would have still made sense. They didn't point out what makes Porsche unique. Which is something I think Lexus does very well in their ads.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
that porshe ad is incredibly long....
I cant help but seen it before......either on actual TV in shortened form, or as a link on the internet (whcih seems more likely)

·
Registered
4,152 Posts
okay, so this isn't really a commercial, however, I absolutely love it and think it is hilarious.

I've actually seen a couple of these aired, I can't imagine how much BMW paid for that long of a time slot.

-Chase

·
Registered
9,751 Posts
Funny (not surprisingly to you guys, I'm sure) none of those appeal to me whatsoever, but I Love Pontiac's middle one has pretty cool effects.

Maybe they're designed to appeal to the upwardly mobile snob, but that sure isn't me. Maybe paying 10 grand extra for an SUV hybrid that gets the same mileage as a normal V8 one does appeals to the green factor in some, but to me that's 10 grand wasted.

And..if Volt's debut is accompanied by commercials like those, it's dead meat, IMO. The present one ("The Future Hums") is decent, if not earth shattering.

Is the Volt commercial you posted supposed to be an example of something good or something awful? Because it was awful.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.