GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
34,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lessons from the Collapse of Scion

San Diego Ca. Vehicle sales spotlight has been focused on the decline of truck sales with the poster child truck being taunted as the General motors Hummer line and to a certain extent Ford, GM and Dodge medium duty trucks. The reasons we have been told is that these trucks burn so much gas that no one want to go anywhere near them.
http://www.fomoconews.com/forums/showthread.php?p=15795#post15795

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
The Scion xB (the boxy one that 90% of people think of when they hear "Scion") was such a unique little ride. And I mean LITTLE. The Toyota decided to make it the size of a Honda Element....and that was a poor move. The tC is dated, though I know people who bought them and love them.

Scion was a joke to begin with though IMHO. They focused way more on retarded things like pedal covers, shift boots, neon lights and other "Fast and the Furious" toys more than the vehicles themselves. There's no performance models....Scion should have a turbocharged tC to compete with the Cobalt SS for brand image if nothing else.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I think that a lot of the Scions now are very close or similarly priced to the Toyota that's in the same class. Most people would rather buy the Toyota for that price than the Scion. And - believe it or not - most people have no idea Scion is built by Toyota until they drive to the dealership and realize that it's a Toyota dealership.

·
Premium Member
34,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
They are pricey fugly little beasts in my opinion with odd gauges, but the reason they have tanked remains the fact that perhaps its not the gas thing like people claim to be.

I mean, look at them. They are Toyota "quality" not gas hogs, why would they go the way of the hummer? are sold in toyota dealership, so unlike saturn/hummer have a national footprint.

I bet what hit scion is the same metrolight that hit hummer. These are fashion statements not transport. My point being, the decline of hummer has nothing to do with gasoline but fashion.

·
Banned
11,892 Posts
Scion collapse?

I haven't been following Scion's sales lately, anyone got the numbers? For a while they were all the rage and everyone was saying how the domestics should learn from Toyota's success with Scion!

·
Registered
5,411 Posts
The thread title suggest that Toyota was shutting down Scion, But that isn't the case, though maybe it'd be a good idea? :D

·
Registered
5,864 Posts
Scion collapse?

I haven't been following Scion's sales lately, anyone got the numbers? For a while they were all the rage and everyone was saying how the domestics should learn from Toyota's success with Scion!
News to me too.

I thought Scion was doing fine. :confused:

·
Registered
5,411 Posts
News to me too.

I thought Scion was doing fine. :confused:
Hence my previous post about the thread title.

A collapse I would associate w/shutting down not w/a slide in sales.

·
Registered
4,887 Posts
Scion failed because they took the xB, a cute/quirky little box with good gas mileage, then uglified, ginormicized, deinteriorqualitified, and hugeenginified it until it became the pile that the xD is.

They then took a look at the xA and said something along these lines: "How can we make this the most repulsive looking vehicle ever to touch asphalt?"

I can't wait to see how bad the tC replacement is.

·
Registered
15,633 Posts
Well yes, but they couldn't expect the IIHS 'special avoidance for test pass' to last forever could they ?

That would be a bit too obvious.

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
My point being, the decline of hummer has nothing to do with gasoline but fashion.
Speaking of hogs....that's hog wash. Gasoline had NO affect on Hummer sales? Yeah right. :rolleyes:

Is fashion a factor? I would have to say yes. I think gas prices are helping drive "fashion". :yup:

·
Registered
5,411 Posts
Scion failed because they took the xB, a cute/quirky little box with good gas mileage, then uglified, ginormicized, deinteriorqualitified, and hugeenginified it until it became the pile that the xD is.

They then took a look at the xA and said something along these lines: "How can we make this the most repulsive looking vehicle ever to touch asphalt?"

I can't wait to see how bad the tC replacement is.
IMO, the original xB was very bland & ugly. the 2nd gen of it looks much better.
The xA I liked. Much better looking between it & the original xB.

The tC is the best looking Scion. I know at least one friend that has one of these. Possibly a 2nd.

The xD looks alright.

But I will never buy a Scion.

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
I always thought the edgy, rebellious, youth image was a poor fit for Toyota.

Like putting an Xtreeeme! sub brand into Buick dealerships.

Maybe this explains Pontiac's sales slide in the last couple of decades, now that it's joined at the hip with Buick and GMC...

MINI on the other hand seems to have only seen benefits from the BMW ties.

I wonder how Scion would have done as a sub-brand of Lexus, with more standard equipment and more upscale interiors?

·
Premium Member
15,292 Posts
Scion "collapse" and "failure?"

Since when? I think people are hoping for things that just aren't true.

If you want to see an example of a collapsed automotive brand, please see the history of the following: Buick, Saturn, Hummer, GMC, Pontiac, Geo, Oakland, Plymouth, Oldsmobile, Lincoln, DeSoto, Edsel, Chrysler, Eagle, Saab, Daewoo, and Isuzu.

Scion Sales, YTD:

2007: 72,644
2008: 77,780

If that's a collapse, please sign some GM brands up for one.

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
Scion "collapse" and "failure?"

Since when? I think people are hoping for things that just aren't true.

In terms of sales......no Scion hasn't collapsed by a long shot. However, when you consider Toyota's original intent when they created the brand--to attract a younger demographic that would stay within the Toyota family (buying Toyotas & Lexii later on in life)--then you might be more inclined to think of Scion as a 'failure' in that sense (though it'd be helpful to have demographic info there)

·
Registered
837 Posts
I was at the movies this weekend and a scion commercial came on and it portrayed scion as being this outside the box cult leading car company. Pretty stupid. This car company was just a trend that was destined to fail. The only thing that will save this company is a performance division like Chevrolet has SS. Brand identity. The only identity scion has is this weird cult-like persona.

·
Premium Member
15,292 Posts
In terms of sales......no Scion hasn't collapsed by a long shot. However, when you consider Toyota's original intent when they created the brand--to attract a younger demographic that would stay within the Toyota family (buying Toyotas & Lexii later on in life)--then you might be more inclined to think of Scion as a 'failure' in that sense (though it'd be helpful to have demographic info there)
This is nothing new, though. The brand, from the git-go--IIRC--had higher-than-planned median ages for buyers. The tC, when it came out after the brand had launched, DID attract a much younger set of customers than the xB and xA. However, did the brand as a whole ever have a really young demographic? I believe not. So if sales are falling now in 2008, then it's not because of a recent "failure" to hit the target audience. Older people have always purchased the cars. Nothing's changed.

And neither Autoblog or FoMoCo forums even cared to pull together some demographical evidence of any kind. All they offered was just one anecdote about a 39 year old buying a Scion (and, really, that's not old).

It was a poorly researched and poorly supported blog posting that's now gotten everyone on here in a tizzy about the collapse of the brand.

If anything is to blame for whatever crisis the brand may or may not be in, one may have to look at style, marketing, price, reliability, and dealer treatment. You know, do some actual investigation.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts