GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Shelby GT350 Mustang Priced From $52,995?
Autoguide.com
Nov 27, 2014
By Luke Vandezande

Pricing for Ford’s newest performance car might have just leaked.

Ford’s Shelby GT350 Mustang debuted last week at the L.A. Auto Show with a 5.2-liter flat-plane crankshaft V8 and the promise of loftier-than-ever track performance for the nameplate. Ford did not discuss pricing at the launch, but now HorsepowerKings.com reports that an unnamed source from Ford said the car will start at $52,995.

A Ford spokesman was not available for comment at the time of writing.

The report goes on to suggest that the “tech” package will cost $2,995 and that there will also be a “track” package available. Additionally, the story claims there will also be a GT350 R model that will sit above the rest of the range as an even more track-focused vehicle with enhanced brakes, aerodynamic alterations and stickier tires. According to the rumor, that car will debut in January during the North American International Auto Show in Detroit.

Article in Link

·
Premium Member
2,854 Posts
If the R model is true, that explains the pricing. The tech and track package will probably put it close to 60K so it's still fairly expensive. The R model will almost certainly cost right around what the Z/28 does.

Clearly, Ford is not considering the standard GT350 the equivalent of the Z/28; that's why a more focused track version is coming. I think Ford made it interesting by offering a more affordable street model with the option of a dialed in R model for those that want it.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
If the R model is true, that explains the pricing. The tech and track package will probably put it close to 60K so it's still fairly expensive. The R model will almost certainly cost right around what the Z/28 does.

Clearly, Ford is not considering the standard GT350 the equivalent of the Z/28; that's why a more focused track version is coming. I think Ford made it interesting by offering a more affordable street model with the option of a dialed in R model for those that want it.
The GT350 with the "tech" package is priced right along with the ZL1. The GT350 and ZL1 are both dual threat cars; track and strip focused. They should compare very well against each other, more so than '14 GT500 vs ZL1. That being said, taking down or even strongly competing with the Z/28 will be a significant challenge for SVT. I don't know if they can beat the Z/28 benchmark in terms of handling dynamics. Ford Racing/SVT doesn't have the resources or data to develop suspension systems like GM Racing. Comparable lap times will solely depend on power advantage. The GT350R needs to out power the Z/28 on the straights to make up time. I wouldn't be at all surprised if SVT offers a "R" version of their new 5.2L producing at least 575 hp. That will be the only way I see the GT350R beating the Z/28 on a road course. There will be arguments claiming that if the both cars had equal horsepower the Z/28 will still win. But the counterargument would be a dagger in Z/28's heart; the 5.2L made a lot more horsepower with 100 less cubic inches. The LS7 had wonderful run over the last 7 years, but the flat-plane 5.2L will earn the title to America's best NA V8 engine. That hurts.

·
Registered
7,686 Posts
So someone says the price will be X amount and people are so willing to believe it.....

Though at $53,000 starting for that kind of money people could probably expect around 530BHP from the car. If they offer a hard core version to take on the Z/28 Camaro and if they do it right then they can under cut the Camaro in price. It will be interesting to see the different models that the Mustang offers and how they all line up with their competitors.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Shelby GT350 Mustang Priced From $52,995?
Autoguide.com
Nov 27, 2014
By Luke Vandezande

Pricing for Ford’s newest performance car might have just leaked.

Ford’s Shelby GT350 Mustang debuted last week at the L.A. Auto Show with a 5.2-liter flat-plane crankshaft V8 and the promise of loftier-than-ever track performance for the nameplate. Ford did not discuss pricing at the launch, but now HorsepowerKings.com reports that an unnamed source from Ford said the car will start at $52,995.

A Ford spokesman was not available for comment at the time of writing.

The report goes on to suggest that the “tech” package will cost $2,995 and that there will also be a “track” package available. Additionally, the story claims there will also be a GT350 R model that will sit above the rest of the range as an even more track-focused vehicle with enhanced brakes, aerodynamic alterations and stickier tires. According to the rumor, that car will debut in January during the North American International Auto Show in Detroit.

Article in Link
My God that thing is fugly.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
The GT350 with the "tech" package is priced right along with the ZL1. The GT350 and ZL1 are both dual threat cars; track and strip focused. They should compare very well against each other, more so than '14 GT500 vs ZL1. That being said, taking down or even strongly competing with the Z/28 will be a significant challenge for SVT. I don't know if they can beat the Z/28 benchmark in terms of handling dynamics. Ford Racing/SVT doesn't have the resources or data to develop suspension systems like GM Racing. Comparable lap times will solely depend on power advantage. The GT350R needs to out power the Z/28 on the straights to make up time. I wouldn't be at all surprised if SVT offers a "R" version of their new 5.2L producing at least 575 hp. That will be the only way I see the GT350R beating the Z/28 on a road course. There will be arguments claiming that if the both cars had equal horsepower the Z/28 will still win. But the counterargument would be a dagger in Z/28's heart; the 5.2L made a lot more horsepower with 100 less cubic inches. The LS7 had wonderful run over the last 7 years, but the flat-plane 5.2L will earn the title to America's best NA V8 engine. That hurts.
Z/28 isn't as insurmountable as you may think. Keep in mind, you could do what the Z/28 does with barley more than the 1LE package, the Z28's rims and tires, and an LT1 engine can do. Pretty much everything else on the Z/28 is either fluff or $100 worth of tech doing a $5 job.

So someone says the price will be X amount and people are so willing to believe it.....

Though at $53,000 starting for that kind of money people could probably expect around 530BHP from the car. If they offer a hard core version to take on the Z/28 Camaro and if they do it right then they can under cut the Camaro in price. It will be interesting to see the different models that the Mustang offers and how they all line up with their competitors.
The price mentioned is getting traction because that's pretty much in the ballpark where you'd expect for a Mustang performance car that had a unique engine instead of the expensive blower bolted to the top of the engine the way the current $55K GT500 does.

More BS from Ford like the new Mustang and F-150.
Do you mind sharing exactly what "BS" you're talking about, because you lost me and I'm sure a lot of others here.

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
That will be the only way I see the GT350R beating the Z/28 on a road course. There will be arguments claiming that if the both cars had equal horsepower the Z/28 will still win. But the counterargument would be a dagger in Z/28's heart; the 5.2L made a lot more horsepower with 100 less cubic inches. The LS7 had wonderful run over the last 7 years, but the flat-plane 5.2L will earn the title to America's best NA V8 engine. That hurts.
376 vs 316 - 60 cubes?

·
Registered
73 Posts
I would be VERY surprised if ford did not target and beat the Z/28 as a benchmark, after all it is a totally new car as compared to the by then out of production Camaro that has totally redefined what a track focused american sport coupe can achieve. It would be a fail for Ford, similar to the new performance pack '15 Mustang not be able to beat the out going 1LE Camaro.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I think this car will do well, especially overseas where it should still be a relative 'bargain'. 10 grand less than a base BMW M4 in North America, not shabby. Quite the departure from what Ford typically does with their performance Mustangs (top dog parts being easy hand-me-downs to lesser parts).

Z/28 isn't as insurmountable as you may think. Keep in mind, you could do what the Z/28 does with barley more than the 1LE package, the Z28's rims and tires, and an LT1 engine can do. Pretty much everything else on the Z/28 is either fluff or $100 worth of tech doing a $5 job.
You're missing about $10k in brakes and dampers that you don't get on the 1LE or even the ZL1. You can do a solid one-lap (autocross, stock-class time attack, etc) or multi-lap (lapping days, etc) on stock 1LE or Boss bits, but anything more than that, and you're going to start going through things like dampers and bushings as wear items, and spending a lot of money and time on brakes. The 1LE is great (and what I'd like to pick up), but dismissing the dampers and the brakes, among the other changes (aero, weight, LS7, gearing, clutch) is short-sighted.

Reactions: JeffInDFW

·
Registered
73 Posts
The fact that you fail to realize that the mustang has DOHC with 4 valves with adjustable intake, which is a huge advantage on breathing and high end rpm operations but brings the penalty of a higher center of gravity and takes up the same space as an old school big block. Ford just with the recent 302 and trinity V8, started getting its act together when it comes to V8 power because the modular engines before them were a joke compared to the LS series engines.

Now, the LS7 offers only 2 valves per cylinder from a modern OHV engine that is outwardly is still a small block V8 in size offering a much lower CG and compact packaging thats been on the market for well over 8 years that neither ford or dodge had an answer for. Its' about time.

Bring on the LT series V8's.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupes/1409_on_chevrolet_camaro_do_the_tires_make_the_car/

From this test, we can conclude that the Z/28's advantage is not simply a better set of tires. Mounting the Z/28's wheels and tires to a Camaro 1LE did not allow the 1LE to meet or exceed the performance of the stock Z/28. In fact, in half of our tests, the 1LE fitted with Z/28 tires failed to outperform the Z/28 fitted with 1LE tires, much less the stock Z/28.
Tires, then, are not the be-all, end-all of handling. They are part of the equation, and improving the tires can improve performance. However, the tire must also work with the suspension, the brakes, the steering, and the chassis. Handling is holistic, and many variables are involved. Spring rates, shock rates (both compression and rebound), anti-roll bar stiffness, bushing stiffness, suspension geometry, alignment, chassis stiffness, and more can all affect how well a car handles. While improving any one factor can increase performance, the system as a whole must be considered not only to more meaningfully improve performance, but also to retain or improve the driving experience. After all, does it matter how big the skidpad numbers are if the car is unpleasant to drive?
The Camaro Z/28, then, is not just an expensive set of tires and a wing. It's what Chevrolet promised: a serious track car that's been modified from the ground up for better performance.

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
I would be VERY surprised if ford did not target and beat the Z/28 as a benchmark, after all it is a totally new car as compared to the by then out of production Camaro that has totally redefined what a track focused american sport coupe can achieve. It would be a fail for Ford, similar to the new performance pack '15 Mustang not be able to beat the out going 1LE Camaro.
The Z/28 outpaces cars that cost multitudes more money than the Chevy, I would be shocked if Ford comes close to matching it on the first try with the GT350.

·
Registered
7,686 Posts

The price mentioned is getting traction because that's pretty much in the ballpark where you'd expect for a Mustang performance car that had a unique engine instead of the expensive blower bolted to the top of the engine the way the current $55K GT500 does.

Do you mind sharing exactly what "BS" you're talking about, because you lost me and I'm sure a lot of others here.
Here is the thing, if this 5.2L engine is anything like what people think it is then its likely going to cost more then the 5.8L supercharged 662BHP engine...

Also I don't see the GT350 as a direct replacement for the GT500 (though it might be). I think that this GT350 (much like the Z/28) will not have a direct competitor at first (as its going to be more track focused then the 1LE and anything the Challenger is doing). Maybe the Z/28 will get a more civil version and a more insane version with the 6th generation car. I guess in this way it can fill the spot for both the 1LE and Z/28 I just don't see it hitting the 1LE price point which would still leave room for a 1LE type car.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts