Leaked: Next generation Buick Excelle Chinese
Relay for popular model based on the Daewoo Lacetti
October 1, 2014
AutoHome

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Although the Chinese media insist that this is a redesign of the Excelle GT (Verano), I am absolutely sure that they are wrong! This is the next generation of the best selling model of Buick in China, the "original" Excelle based on the Daewoo Lacetti. Here the evidence:

As you can see, the design of this model does not match the forms seen in the prototypes of the next Verano/Excelle GT. The grill is taller and narrower, different bumper design, no window between the A pillar and door, location of the mirror, overall proportions, etc. The same happens with the back:

Narrower, shape of the boot lid, the license plate location, tailpipes, etc.

·
Registered
19,265 Posts
You are very knowledgeable and always make very informative posts.

Whatever it is, it looks better than the Verano.

Given what I see now, it's less than what I hoped it would be. It looks boring from these pictures but I can see that the edges on the hood look like they'll excite the front end a bit. That said, I never expected it to be exciting.

If it's replacing the Lacetti-based Excelle, it's a goddam masterpiece.

·
Registered
19,265 Posts
^I realized I actually just added to your theory.

One of the camouflaged cars has dual exhausts and a segmented front bumper. The car pictured does not.

Granted, that could just be a different version of the car as I haven't looked too closely, but there does appear to be two sets of taillights pictured.

Good catch.

·
Super Moderator
21,421 Posts

One of the camouflaged cars has dual exhausts and a segmented front bumper. The car pictured does not.

Granted, that could just be a different version of the car as I haven't looked too closely, but there does appear to be two sets of taillights pictured.

Good catch.
Don't assume that the camo'd cars are completely final. They just throw on whatever they have for prototypes, so the tail light discrepancy doesn't necessarily mean that they're two different cars.

Plus, the camera lens is likely showing us a slightly distorted view of the car.

EDIT: Then again, I'm actually not even sure now. The A-pillar window threw me a curveball...

·
Registered
8,504 Posts

Good catch.
Also, check out the side mirror placement and glass.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If it's replacing the Lacetti-based Excelle, it's a goddam masterpiece.

Yes, it is a substitute for Buick Excelle based on the Daewoo Lacetti. The prototype with dual exhaust is the next Verano/Excelle GT. The other camouflaged it is this model that just filter, a few months ago also captured pictures of your interior: New spy photos of the next generation of Buick Excelle "original". The change is quite dramatic:

But it was time, considering it has more than a decade for sale (is produced since 2003) and has only received minor cosmetic tweaks.

I guess it is based on the Delta II platform...

·
Registered
19,265 Posts
Don't assume that the camo'd cars are completely final. They just throw on whatever they have for prototypes, so the tail light discrepancy doesn't necessarily mean that they're two different cars.

Plus, the camera lens is likely showing us a slightly distorted view of the car.

EDIT: Then again, I'm actually not even sure now. The A-pillar window threw me a curveball...
Not at the stage where they're wrapping production sheetmetal, no. You think they just had a spare taillamp that fit the sheetmetal on the rear end of the new car perfectly?

Don't think so. Also, that's a very fancy camera that changes large details on the car.

Yes, it is a substitute for Buick Excelle based on the Daewoo Lacetti. The prototype with dual exhaust is the next Verano/Excelle GT. The other camouflaged it is this model that just filter, a few months ago also captured pictures of your interior: New spy photos of the next generation of Buick Excelle "original". The change is quite dramatic:

But it was time, considering it has more than a decade for sale (is produced since 2003) and has only received minor cosmetic tweaks.

I guess it is based on the Delta II platform...
I believe you're right about Delta II, that was said somewhere already.

Yes. The taillights, segmented lower front bumper, and integrated dual exhausts are all on the same IVER.

We're definitely looking at two different cars.

·
Registered
2018 Chevrolet Tahoe Premier
1,309 Posts
Buick Excelle (Lacetti-based) > current Buick Excelle GT/HT (Delta II)

Buick Excelle GT/HT (Verano/Astra) Delta II > 2 Gen (D2XX).

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I think it's the same new platform for the Excelle/Verano, but will have very different sheet-metal for the US and Chinese markets.
No, in China are also testing the new generation of Verano/Excelle GT:

The logic of the Chinese media: this model leaked is a "facelift" of the Excelle GT/Verano and will be released later this year, and the new generation model based on D2XX arrive in 2016. :blink:

They are completely wrong! You have to be rather short-sighted not to realize that this is a totally different model to the current Verano, so it can not be a simple facelift...

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD
13,461 Posts
So does this interior go with the car with the 3 and 0 and the A and V on the doors which is the one destined for the US or does this interior go with the grayish picture with Chinese in the lower right corner? The reason I ask is that I think this is a step back because our current Verano has a better looking interior than this one shown in black.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I wish they'd lose that stupid A-pillar window. It almost looks like a mistake... And it's wierd to look at the side of a car that small and see a total of 4 separate windows on each side.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts