GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It has been an active few weeks for me at my local P-B-G dealership service department.

About three weeks about my passenger side rear speaker started popping and cracking everytime I put the volume between half way to full on the stereo in my LaCrosse. I have the Harmon Kadon speaker system. I was not thrilled and contacted the dealership, Jimmy Smith P-B-G in Athens, AL.

They asked me to bring it in to verify the problem. Tim, the Service Manager, is very straight forward and friendly. While there I got a maintenance II service and ordered the factory spoiler from the accessory department.

They verified the speaker fault and had to order one. Luckily this was covered under warranty. I am 23 months into ownership and the car has 26,000 miles on it.

The speaker came in with the spoiler. I had them both installed. I got a Pontiac Torrent loaner to get back and forth to work that day. Six hours into my workday I get the call the job is complete.

No major issues and everything is put back together well. The speaker was replaced under warranty, so no charge.

I know that everyone usually posts bad things about service departments here and most websites, but I have yet to have a bad experience when dealing with a GM service department. Jimmy Smith continues to earn my service.

Now one gripe about vehicle quality. It is a small one, but still annoying. I noticed today that the S is the word DISP on my radio control head now has a chip of paint missing. It is small, but very frustrating to know that after less than two years of ownership I am having this type of wear start to show.

My previous car was a Hyundai Elantra GT and the radio buttons did not wear after five years of ownership.

Attention-to-detail keeps customers happy, GM.

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
It refreshing to hear of positive GM service experiences.

I know what it takes for myself, my staff and my fellow dealership employees in providing zone leading CSI scored customer service and managing to make a dollar while doing it!

·
Premium Member
35,893 Posts
Hooah!

Good people who know what they're doing and do their jobs well should be acknowledged. God knows, they're rapidly becoming extinct.

A note to the GM or owner would certainly be appreciated. There are not enough atta-boys given out in this world.

·
Banned
1,083 Posts
It refreshing to hear of positive GM service experiences.

I know what it takes for myself, my staff and my fellow dealership employees in providing zone leading CSI scored customer service and managing to make a dollar while doing it!
Well dude as far as I know, GM dealerships provide like the highest level of customer satasfaction out of all the automakers except Lexus. Is this true yes or no.
Don't answer--we already know. :)

·
Registered
9,682 Posts
Nice to hear of good service. I have had mostly good service from GM, but it usually depends on the service writer and technician. My GMC dealer even replaced the brake hoses and battery out of warranty after a leak that left me in traffic with only the parking brake.

·
Registered
6,295 Posts
granted i have never experienced any other dealer experience other than GM, I have to say the three that I have dealt w/ have been A+ performers. Mostly Warranty claims at the Saturn and Caddy dealers, and a one time Chevy visit few years back to fix the torsion bar mount obviously NOT under warranty, was treated TREMENDOUSLY well. Regarding your 'wear' issue, I had a similar event w/ the Nav unit on my CTS, as the paint on the buttons that line the unit vertically on both sides began to rub off. Service writer acknowledge this as a design flaw and it happens ALL the time, was replaced under warranty. Annoying yes, but handled very well imo.

·
Registered
18,488 Posts
Now one gripe about vehicle quality. It is a small one, but still annoying. I noticed today that the S is the word DISP on my radio control head now has a chip of paint missing. It is small, but very frustrating to know that after less than two years of ownership I am having this type of wear start to show.
If you just noticed it now, it is probably a chip that came from a ham-fisted tech who removed the radio for fault diagnosis. You know the removal tool touches it and knocks it off...

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
3 Posts
My first new car was a 91 Cavalier wagon which I just loved and wish I still had. I never had any warranty work except a muffler which was replaced during a dealer service....So I had a good dealer(now Tyee Chev in Campbell River) with no problems getting service on warranty when it was eligible...But just before the warranty ran out on the Cave the fuzzy trim around the hand brake lever fell off and into the consul and the service Writer approved the fix......I just figured it was a $5 part and some glue or a clip. Silly me,they had to get a whole new consul and paint the bugger. Then the fun began...It pretty much took the whole day and just after lunch I dropped in to inquire and after watching a pair of feet sticking out of my drivers door( and overhearing some muttered cursing ) I nixed the Service guys suggestion about asking the poor bugger doing the job ,how much longer it was going to be....Seems you pretty much have to take the whole dash apart to r+r the consul.

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
If you just noticed it now, it is probably a chip that came from a ham-fisted tech who removed the radio for fault diagnosis. You know the removal tool touches it and knocks it off...
:rolleyes::rolleyes:

There isn't a "removal tool", the radio knobs on these Siemens and Panasonic radios are known for delamination. IMO, GM should return to Delphi for radio sourcing.

·
Registered
7,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Actually I noticed it as I pulled up to the dealership to drop it off for the replacement, it was a little disheartening to be bringing it in for repair and notice this too.

Does anyone know if they will replace the button and not the unit. Unit replacement for a button seems too wasteful for me to do. Also, if it is a button replacement how hard is it to do myself if I just get the part ordered?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Glad to hear you had a good experience. Generally I, too, have good experiences.

I can only think of one bad one and that is when the Service Tech and and Service Manager both told me that I needed to get my oil changed every 3K miles regardless what the OLM said. He even hinted that my warranty could be affected if I didn't.

One email to the Dealer Manager took care of the situation.

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
Actually I noticed it as I pulled up to the dealership to drop it off for the replacement, it was a little disheartening to be bringing it in for repair and notice this too.

Does anyone know if they will replace the button and not the unit. Unit replacement for a button seems too wasteful for me to do. Also, if it is a button replacement how hard is it to do myself if I just get the part ordered?

Send me the last 8 digits of your VIN#, I can see if GM services the button seperate or not from the radio....

GMCSonoma

·
Registered
7,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just got a complimentary oil change done at Koons Chevrolet-Buick-GMC at Tysons Corner in Vienna today. With a private offer GM Card bonus in hand I did not really find anything compelling to take me out of G8 GT. Two T03 Regal Turbos (silver, cashmere) and one Malibu LTZ V-6 Silver Black/Brick were the closest to hitting the target for me.... but no. Considered get a current trade-in value but decided against it.

The service waiting area was open and decent with one complimentary computer that one guy jumped on the entire time I was there. They had cold water, but no compimentary coffee. If you walked through parts/cashier they had a "cafe" set up that looked like it catered to the employees more than the customers. OK prices but nothing visually appealing.

I also walked over to Koons Dodge-Chrysler-Jeep. The 200 looks good to me in person... just not enough to get out of my car for it. The 300 looks like a winner to me.

Old thread but the same subject under different conditions.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
I hated my Koons service experience when I lived in Tysons. Pohanka Chevrolet made it worth my time to drive out to Chantilly.

·
Registered
7,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I hated my Koons service experience when I lived in Tysons. Pohanka Chevrolet made it worth my time to drive out to Chantilly.
Will consider that if the service goes south. I believe Ourisman is closer to me but did not have a "Pontiac Authorized Service Provider Tile" on its website. Consider how many Zeta bits are common I doubt any Chevy dealer could not do the work.

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
Will consider that if the service goes south. I believe Ourisman is closer to me but did not have a "Pontiac Authorized Service Provider Tile" on its website. Consider how many Zeta bits are common I doubt any Chevy dealer could not do the work.
it's alleged you can go to any GM dealer...however with tooling & alike it's best to find one that was once Pontiac...

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
Generally they replace the whole radio unit for any issue.
GM ain't gonna pay big warranty time to replace a button!
They usually swap in a refurbished unit................

Here in the Northeast the authorized rebuilder/repairs are done by
United Radio in Syracuse NY.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Koons did not have Pontiac, actually. "J.Koons" (related; but not part of the "Koons" dealer group), which was located in what is now Koons' Chrysler building, sold Buick, Pontiac, and GMC. Koons Chevrolet was combined with Chrysler before taking over J.Koons Buick/GMC franchise, as well as Tysons Dodge/Jeep right down the road on 7 by the NADA building (not sure what is there now, if anything).

Farrish in Fairfax was the other local Buick, Pontiac, GMC dealer, but they lost their entire GM franchise and now are a used lot and general repair facility. sonjaab may recall a very old thread where I whined that they would not install tires on my GTO :)

We purchased our TrailBlazer from Ourisman in Rockville, and I looked at a GTO at their Pontiac store on 355, but ultimately never had service there. I bought my GTO at Kern Motor Co in Winchester, but I do not believe they exist any longer as they only sold Pontiac and Jeep (odd combination, I know). Our G6 was purchased at Alexandria Pontiac -- which is now just an empty building (same with their "new" Saturn store that they were so proud of back in 2008 when we picked up the G6).

Anything else you'd like to know about GM dealerships in the DC area? lol

Generally they replace the whole radio unit for any issue.
GM ain't gonna pay big warranty time to replace a button!
They usually swap in a refurbished unit................

Here in the Northeast the authorized rebuilder/repairs are done by
United Radio in Syracuse NY.
Correct. I don't recall ever ordering new units -- always reman. Same with instrument clusters.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Koons did not have Pontiac, actually. "J.Koons" (related; but not part of the "Koons" dealer group), which was located in what is now Koons' Chrysler building, sold Buick, Pontiac, and GMC. Koons Chevrolet was combined with Chrysler before taking over J.Koons Buick/GMC franchise, as well as Tysons Dodge/Jeep right down the road on 7 by the NADA building (not sure what is there now, if anything).

Farrish in Fairfax was the other local Buick, Pontiac, GMC dealer, but they lost their entire GM franchise and now are a used lot and general repair facility. sonjaab may recall a very old thread where I whined that they would not install tires on my GTO :)

We purchased our TrailBlazer from Ourisman in Rockville, and I looked at a GTO at their Pontiac store on 355, but ultimately never had service there. I bought my GTO at Kern Motor Co in Winchester, but I do not believe they exist any longer as they only sold Pontiac and Jeep (odd combination, I know). Our G6 was purchased at Alexandria Pontiac -- which is now just an empty building (same with their "new" Saturn store that they were so proud of back in 2008 when we picked up the G6).

Anything else you'd like to know about GM dealerships in the DC area? lol

Correct. I don't recall ever ordering new units -- always reman. Same with instrument clusters.

When I was just exiting high school in PA. My dad moved the family to Fairfax/Reston. I worked at Templeton Olds in Fairfax as a carwasher.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts