GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
GOOOD GOD! Awesome. Of course the G/A and 'fire are almost gone but what a way to go out! As for the others, BRING THEM ON!

·
Registered
236 Posts
I like...especially the GA and GP. B)

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
I want to get excited, but GM hasn't delivered on any of the GXP models yet, the Bonneville isn't due till probably after the Auto Show in January, and....well, this looks like an attempt to wipe our minds clean of the much better looking (IMO) GXP models....

I hate to be a pessimist, but the last time GM gave Pontiac anything like this it turned out to be an appearance package with fake hood scoops (Grand Am SC/T).... :(

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
And to help Pontiac sell its performance image (note: sarcasm)...

FOR RELEASE: October 28, 2003

CONTACTS

GM Strengthens Chevrolet NASCAR Program In 2004

DETROIT - Following the end of the 2003 NASCAR season, GM will consolidate its resources in NASCAR to exclusively support the Chevrolet Monte Carlo and further advance and solidify the dominant position enjoyed by Chevrolet in this series.

"GM Racing will focus its 2004 NASCAR program on the Chevrolet Monte Carlo, and will no longer race or support the Pontiac Grand Prix race car," said Doug Duchardt, director of GM Racing. "This transition will enable GM Racing to strengthen its Chevy Nextel Cup program and, at the same time, work with Pontiac on its future racing plans."

"Given Pontiac's long association with NASCAR and our many great accomplishments over the years, the decision to withdraw from NASCAR was not an easy one," said Lynn Myers, general manager of Pontiac-GMC. "Consistent with GM efforts to focus its racing programs, Chevrolet will carry the NASCAR banner while Pontiac can now devote resources to developing future racing and marketing programs consistent with our new performance products, including the GTO, Grand Prix Comp G, G6 and the GXP performance series. We are proud of our racing accomplishments and we recognize that it is a powerful engineering, people development and marketing tool. Pontiac is investigating new opportunities to highlight the performance of our vehicles on the track."

Coming into the 2003 season, the Pontiac Grand Prix won two of the past three NASCAR Winston Cup drivers' championships: Bobby Labonte in 2000, and Tony Stewart in '02.

Chevrolet has an ongoing record of dominance in NASCAR's modern era. Chevrolet has won 23 of the last 31 NASCAR Winston Cup manufacturers' championships including the 2003 title with 10 different drivers capturing 17 wins in 33 races so far this year. Through 2003 in the NASCAR Busch Series and Craftsman Truck series, Chevrolet has won 10 of 13, and five of nine NASCAR manufacturers' titles respectively. With 2003 drivers' titles still to be determined in both series, Chevrolet has won 11 of 21 in Busch and seven of eight in Craftsman Truck.

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Originally posted by Hudson@Oct 28 2003, 01:54 PM
And to help Pontiac sell its performance image (note: sarcasm)
I'd rather see Pontiac invest in a road racing program using the GTO, something like Road America. A real racing program that puts a car very similar to the real GTO to the test, like the way the racing Corvette in LeMans and other races trickles down development to the street Corvette.

The "grand prix" in NASCAR was the same under the skin as the "monte carlo", and neither went to convince anyone that they had anything to do with the real production vehicles since the early 70's. Other than the headlight stickers and other fakery, that is. Maybe some mid-80's cars.

The Monte Carlo at least benefits in some part from the aerodynamics of the coupe / Nascar design ---- the Grand Prix doesn't even come in 2 doors anymore.

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
The Autocross are great concepts. Too bad the Grand Prix doesn't have the same type of grill as the Grand Am and others. Even a chromed grill would make a difference. No GTO Autocross?

·
Registered
5,864 Posts
Well, the important thing is Pontiac finally discovers that those super-washboard caddings don't make a car look sporty or good. :zippy:

The Grand Am is my favorite out of those, but the Grand Am is going to be replaced in a year or two, so I don't see much future for it in terms of getting performance variants (same with the Sunfire).

·
Registered
396 Posts
the grand prix looks badass. i don't know about you guys, but it has a hint of old school JDM nissan/toyota to it. me likes.

·
Registered
830 Posts
The Grand Am is beautiful and the Grand Prix looks pretty good. I like the color on the Vibe, but it just looks unproportional for some reason.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I really don't care for any of them, EXCEPT the Grand AM. Man what a change that is. That car goes from being an over cladded cheap looking econo car to a fine looking peice of machinery.

If Bob Lutz has a brain, and we all know he does, they should definitely offer the GA Autocross and do it soon. We all know the GA is about to be replaced, so they might as well make the last of them into big sellers.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Originally posted by Sgt Beavis@Oct 30 2003, 08:53 AM
I really don't care for any of them, EXCEPT the Grand AM. Man what a change that is. That car goes from being an over cladded cheap looking econo car to a fine looking peice of machinery.

If Bob Lutz has a brain, and we all know he does, they should definitely offer the GA Autocross and do it soon. We all know the GA is about to be replaced, so they might as well make the last of them into big sellers.
What would be the point of putting it into production? They would be better off offering the parts as a aftermarket item.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I think they all look sweet except for the Sunfire. This car has been crying redesign for the past 6 years. :type:

·
Registered
62 Posts
i think the GXP line blows away the autocross any day of the week. all the lines in the GXP are much smoother and relevant looking..

·
Premium Member
12,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Originally posted by CMURPHYTX@Jan 2 2004, 08:42 PM
Does anyone know if the Vibe GXP will make it to prodution or is it now the autocross.
Welcome to GMI.

Both cars GXP and Autocross are both SHOW cars. They indicate what could be, not what will be.

A performance variant of the Vibe might take cues from both vehicles, if GM ever decides to produce it.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
id love to see the GTO Autocross come to life. The grill, engine, exhaust and body kit looks fanstastic.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts