1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last Pontiac Sunfire Rolls Off Line
Lordstown
Gerry Ricciutti

A send-off Friday afternoon for the locally built Pontiac Sunfire.

After more than 827,000 models, the last of the subcompacts is being assembled at the GM facility in Lordstown.

The Sunfire went into production in 1994, replacing the old Pontiac Sunbird. For now, production continues on the Chevrolet Cavalier. After the normal summer change-over, a 2005 model will be built through late September.

Full Article Here

Sunfire / Sunbird / J2000 - Pontiac JBody history:

·
Banned
895 Posts
About damned time! Miserable product. Latest styling made it one of the ugliest cars ever made. GM was never interested in making this a good car and it lingered simply because the tooling was paid for and there were idiots who continued to buy it. Much like its two door counterpart, the Cavalier, it was a death trap for side impact collisions...one of the worst performing in any accident on the market today. (National Insurance Institute tests)

·
Super Moderator
4,254 Posts
Originally posted by laserwizard@May 8 2004, 12:08 PM
About damned time! Miserable product. Latest styling made it one of the ugliest cars ever made. GM was never interested in making this a good car and it lingered simply because the tooling was paid for and there were idiots who continued to buy it. Much like its two door counterpart, the Cavalier, it was a death trap for side impact collisions...one of the worst performing in any accident on the market today. (National Insurance Institute tests)
It still looks a helluva lot better than a Focus, even with the latest downs syndrome re-style. :woot2:

·
Registered
118 Posts
I would have to agree vanshmack, the focus is too damn ugly still (front end). So when will Pontiac just stay they are going to sell the Pursuit here in the US?

·
Registered
25 Posts
I think it's good that they are finally getting rid of the Sunfire, I hope Pontiac brings in the Pursuit or an even better car to replace the Sunfire.

·
Super Moderator
4,254 Posts
Originally posted by Ballistic@May 8 2004, 02:16 PM
I would have to agree vanshmack, the focus is too damn ugly still (front end). So when will Pontiac just stay they are going to sell the Pursuit here in the US?
You know, I have mixed feelings about the Pursuit. I just don't know if GM needs two cars in this class. Stay with the Cobalt and make the SS exciting, and there won't be any need for a US Pursuit.

Just my .02!

5,934 Posts
The most recent derivation of the Sunfire is perhaps the best. I happened to see one while walking the dog in my neighboorhood. BUT, it could still not get past the "cheap" plastic cladding on both the exterior and interior. That is perhaps my biggest complaint with the most recent versions of most Pontiacs. The "cheap"plastic cladding.

Yea, hopefully the Pursuit will be available here in the US. The G6 looks tiight. A redesigned GTO in '07 I'm hoping will be cool (Better than the recent GTO).

From a marketing standpoint, if a replacement for the Grand Prix and Bonneville are planned, perhaps they should get rid of those names (ie Grand Prix and Bonneville) to bring more buyers in the mold. Because we all know the G6 is replacing the Grand Am, but the name change helps with the overall "new" feel to it.

RIP

·
Registered
251 Posts
Where did this come from? I didn't know they had planned to get rid of it, then suddenly it's just gone?

Do they build anything else at that plant? Is the Cavailer built there and will the Cobalt be built there this fall?

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Originally posted by Rex Raider@May 8 2004, 05:05 PM
Friends, Frasier and Sunfire all gone in one week.

Boo hoo hoo.

:rudolph:
It has been a good week! :bounce:

·
Editor
26,951 Posts
Originally posted by Branden@May 8 2004, 03:17 PM
I thought they were making the Sunfire a few more years?...are they gonna make it somewhere else?
I don't think that it was the LAST Sunfire, it was just the last one to roll of THAT line... I think it is going to be here for a while..

That, or that news organization does not know anything!

·
Registered
70 Posts
I agree I believe production is going to Mexico if I remember right. Actually I really have no problem with the Sunfire. If they would have put a 3.1 or a 3.4 in it I bet it would actually be a fun car to drive.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Originally posted by vanshmack+May 8 2004, 08:15 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (vanshmack @ May 8 2004, 08:15 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Ballistic@May 8 2004, 02:16 PM
I would have to agree vanshmack, the focus is too damn ugly still (front end).  So when will Pontiac just stay they are going to sell the Pursuit here in the US?
You know, I have mixed feelings about the Pursuit. I just don't know if GM needs two cars in this class. Stay with the Cobalt and make the SS exciting, and there won't be any need for a US Pursuit.

Just my .02! [/b][/quote]
I completely agree, It's better to have one great car in this class then two half-assed ones.

·
Registered
393 Posts
In our family wehave gone though 1 sunfire and 3 calvier each car was up to about 100,000 km on them .Had no problem with any of the cars. They were good cars for what they were meant to do.
For basic transportion they were great, they work without problem.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Originally posted by laserwizard@May 8 2004, 11:08 AM
there were idiots who continued to buy it.
Call me an idiot, but I like mine and consider into buying another. <_< But as far as the Pursuit goes, HELL NO!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts