GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
i have said it in the past. why cant the comodore continue as a Alpha based product and the falcon be based on the mustang platform. why not design the mustang platform so it can be used as a coupe and 4 door, design a more modular chasis. offer the 4 door in the states as a falcon as well.

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts
Yes. Better to buy from other companies that NEVER offered RWD V8's or operated manufacturing plants EVER in the Aussie market. That'll show 'em.
Well they are not doing us any favours - they are giving us nothing that we can't get from anyone else. So nothing is what they are going to get back. Ford at least is importing the Mustang. Even if here it's going to be an expensive niche market car.

i have said it in the past. why cant the comodore continue as a Alpha based product and the falcon be based on the mustang platform. why not design the mustang platform so it can be used as a coupe and 4 door, design a more modular chasis. offer the 4 door in the states as a falcon as well.
An Alpha-based Commodore? Too tiny, too expensive especially as an import. Even the last Sigma based CTS they were looking at prices the far side of $50K for a cloth seat 3.6 - when our dollar was worth nearly two US bucks. Now it's worth US80c. Fords tried three times to share a platform between the Mustang and a RWD sedan - the closest they got was with DEW and Mustang's version isn't that close to the Jag. Long nose, short greenhouse. Essentially a new car.

Ford and GM have pulled out of Australia as a deliberate strategy. To us, they're now just another couple of importers competing on price and merit. In fact, because of what they took away, once local manufacture is gone, they start several steps behind everything else. They won't get automatic preferrence like they would once - people looking at a small car won't consider a Cruze because Holden also makes Commodores, same with the Focus when it come to Ford. Without big RWD neither's got anything compelling you'd seek out except on price.

It's literally the same as if they told US consumers, sorry, your big V8 half ton pickups are dead. Buy a I4 or V6 Colorado instead. Imagine how you'd feel.

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts
Great, then I hope you all migrate to Toyota, Hyundai or Bwm etc Insidenews! Good luck and Bon voyage!
Thanks for your classy input and sensible reasoned debate contribution as always.

The way GM is closing successful businesses - and I don't just mean Holden - which it make money and attract global subsidies despite GM's transfer pricing and ludicrous IP payments, combined with the excellent news about Opel's continued success (/sarcasm) coming from Europe, we won't have to.

As GM brands bow out this site will gather virtual cobwebs.

·
Premium Member
11,341 Posts
The frustrating part is that if GM truly looked at collaboration between Buick-Opel-Vauxhall and by Extension, Holden
then surely something more positive could have been achieved - consider china and rest of world markets.

Alpha based Buick Riveria and a Park Avenue sedan could have extended to Opel-Vauxhall as image changers
in Europe and to Australia, Asia and China as smaller more efficient RWDs that are sold as niche products at
premium prices.

It's OK for me, I've got Mustang as a fall back but, my friends at Holden have once again
been totally dudded by GM. Insignia and Mondeo are not gonna cut it against Asian imports.

·
Registered
10,490 Posts
Toyota has the best chance of bringing in something we may like as a replacement. They need to forget Aurion and bring a real larger car not just a Camry pretending to be big. They could do it either as a Toyota or as a Lexus depending on where it will be sold.

·
Registered
12,971 Posts
Thanks for your classy input and sensible reasoned debate contribution as always.

The way GM is closing successful businesses - and I don't just mean Holden - which it make money and attract global subsidies despite GM's transfer pricing and ludicrous IP payments, combined with the excellent news about Opel's continued success (/sarcasm) coming from Europe, we won't have to.

As GM brands bow out this site will gather virtual cobwebs.
Better than I would have said it Mark

You're a wanker would have been my response

·
Registered
650 Posts
An Alpha-based Commodore? Too tiny, too expensive especially as an import. Even the last Sigma based CTS they were looking at prices the far side of $50K for a cloth seat 3.6 - when our dollar was worth nearly two US bucks. Now it's worth US80c
Sorry to pick you up on an isolated point but I really don't think our dollar ever was as high as US $2. From my O/S trips I recall $1.16 when I was there in '81, 63c in 1997, 55c in '98, 49c in 2001, 73c in '06, 96c in mid '08 (but 62c by the time I got there in November). I suspect you meant 50c so their dollar was worth 2 of ours!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Well they are not doing us any favours - they are giving us nothing that we can't get from anyone else. So nothing is what they are going to get back. Ford at least is importing the Mustang. Even if here it's going to be an expensive niche market car.
Not only that, but everything we're being left with can be had either cheaper or better from someone else. They're left with nothing that's class leading, or even class competitive to be honest.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Not only that, but everything we're being left with can be had either cheaper or better from someone else. They're left with nothing that's class leading, or even class competitive to be honest.
Yep exactly as lot of bought Holdens because of the Holden badge, the Captiva was not the best SUV on the market when I bought mine but we didn't look at any other brands out of loyalty to Holden (since my family had owned nothing but Holden's my dads first car was a 1956 FJ Holden).
Once manufacturing is gone Holden will just be competing with everything else for my dollar and at the moment none of the imported Holdens are anywhere the top of their classes and wouldn't even be on my list for my next car, where as before my list would only have Holdens on it.

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
Once manufacturing is gone Holden will just be competing with everything else for my dollar and at the moment none of the imported Holdens are anywhere the top of their classes and wouldn't even be on my list for my next car, where as before my list would only have Holdens on it.
Interesting point (that others have also brought up in other threads)... I wonder if GM has considered and is expecting this, or if they think they'll keep all current Holden customers and simply stuff the Commodore drivers in Captivas and Malibus?

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Interesting point (that others have also brought up in other threads)... I wonder if GM has considered and is expecting this, or if they think they'll keep all current Holden customers and simply stuff the Commodore drivers in Captivas and Malibus?
I am not the only one to think GM doesn't really care and are basically giving up on the Australian market, GM detriot has never and will never understand the Australian market and have put it in the 2 hard basket.
Holden have been a constant top 3 seller in Australia for the last 60 yrs, once the factory closes they will struggle to make the top 10 and GM doesn't care.

·
Registered
11,998 Posts
Such a sad thing to see this happen.....slowly. Australia was one of the last markets with the affordable, comfortably sized RWD sedan with an available V-8. Even the historically RWD friendly American market has not moved beyond Chrysler's options.

It's all been said a million times here already, but Ford had so many ways the Falcon could've had its costs supported by the NA market. The Falcon itself could've been sold above the Taurus (later Fusion). The platform itself could've been used for a mid-luxury Lincoln. Even today it would've seemed possible to take more luxurious Falcon trims to the US above the Taurus, sort of like a Ford Genesis of sorts (needs a better interior design though). Ford hasn't had a LWB RWD sedan for years now, but those cars seem like they could've worked for the Lincoln brand as well, or instead kept the Crown Victoria up to date without the fate it had. Obviously we know that these ships have sailed but it's really too bad from the potential we saw available.

GM had even more options. Impalas, Caprices, Regals, Park Avenues, Roadmasters, Fleetwoods, Devilles, G8s, you name it. All for naught.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Got a closer look at an FGX XR8 last week. The Miami/Coyote is a very nice package that's fitted to the compromised Falcon design. Shame, really. Exterior can also look weird from certain angles. Imagine what could have been, given decent budget & resourcing over the last decade...

1 - 20 of 79 Posts