GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tesla*will soon put its all-electric*Model X*crossover on sale, and if it's anywhere near as successful as the brand's four-door sedan the*Model S, then it'll be a hell of an attention getter for mainstream automakers.*Land Rover*isn't waiting for proof of the Model X's success, though.According to reports, Land Rover could be preparing an all-electric Range Rover. Likely more crossover than full-size SUV, the new vehicle would probably be far more aerodynamic than current models. But the new EV would still take advantage of LR's high-tech aluminum structure, and could potentially be a close relative of the production*Jaguar C-X17, according to*Autocar.

http://m.autoblog.com/2014/10/31/land-rover-developing-all-electric-tesla-model-x-rival/

·
Registered
5,941 Posts
I'd like to see a spiritual successor to the Rover 3500 SD1 on steroids with AWD and a Voltec kind of drive train. The original design brief for the SD1 was for "a four door Ferrari Daytona" Rover basically invented the 5 door executive express, and I'd love to see a latter day version, even if they badge it a Range Rover. Personally I'd like to see it badged ROVER with discrete little badges on the front fenders/wings proclaiming "Land Rover Design & Engineering"

The 3500 went out of production 28 years ago and it's still a great looking car. A new version could totally take it to the Audi A7, Mercedes CLS.

·
Registered
5,941 Posts
Comments by Gerry McGovern a few weeks back hinted at a 'An incredibly luxurious low slung cruiser, on road biased, but with credible off road abilities via air suspension'. I might be paraphrasing him a bit there, but that's close to what he said. Here is Autocar's speculative rendering. Make it a little longer and add more of a fastback and you have a new SD1 right there.

Oh BTW this is basically Land Rover's response to all of the interlopers like BMW, Audi, Mercedes, Lexus etc muscling in on LR's territory. McGovern said if they can make 4WD SUV type vehicles then why can't Land Rover reverse that.

·
Registered
44,415 Posts
Tesla*will soon put its all-electric*Model X*crossover on sale, and if it's anywhere near as successful as the brand's four-door sedan the*Model S, then it'll be a hell of an attention getter for mainstream automakers.*Land Rover*isn't waiting for proof of the Model X's success, though.According to reports, Land Rover could be preparing an all-electric Range Rover. Likely more crossover than full-size SUV, the new vehicle would probably be far more aerodynamic than current models. But the new EV would still take advantage of LR's high-tech aluminum structure, and could potentially be a close relative of the production*Jaguar C-X17, according to*Autocar.

http://m.autoblog.com/2014/10/31/land-rover-developing-all-electric-tesla-model-x-rival/

JLR's been testing an advanced hybrid for some time. So it only makes sense that they'd take it to the next level.
I'm also glad to see JLR taking the initiative and going forward with an all electric SUV to complete with Model X. Best to start now instead of watching Model X steal all the high-end luxury SUV customers.

I wonder if JLR is one of the auto companies who has evaluated or is evaluating the Tesla patents?

·
Registered
5,941 Posts
JLR's been testing an advanced hybrid for some time. So it only makes sense that they'd take it to the next level.
I'm also glad to see JLR taking the initiative and going forward with an all electric SUV to complete with Model X. Best to start now instead of watching Model X steal all the high-end luxury SUV customers.

I wonder if JLR is one of the auto companies who has evaluated or is evaluating the Tesla patents?

If I had to guess I'd say no. I think Mercedes, BMW, VW/Audi, Lexus, Land Rover etc will come up with their own home grown solutions.

·
Registered
7,899 Posts
I'd like to see a spiritual successor to the Rover 3500 SD1 on steroids with AWD and a Voltec kind of drive train. The original design brief for the SD1 was for "a four door Ferrari Daytona" Rover basically invented the 5 door executive express, and I'd love to see a latter day version, even if they badge it a Range Rover. Personally I'd like to see it badged ROVER with discrete little badges on the front fenders/wings proclaiming "Land Rover Design & Engineering"

The 3500 went out of production 28 years ago and it's still a great looking car. A new version could totally take it to the Audi A7, Mercedes CLS.
Unfortunately it was cramped inside even by European standards, badly built and unlike it's original Rover use in the P5B, the ex-Oldsmobile V8 became unreliable as they increased the power output.

It's a car best seen in a museum.

The earlier P5B and P6 Rovers were infinitely better cars.

I had an Opel Senator 3.0 CD instead of the offered Rover SD1

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
Micro gas turbine sounds a great idea, might be a bit noisy though Rupert.

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
Unfortunately it was cramped inside even by European standards, badly built and unlike it's original Rover use in the P5B, the ex-Oldsmobile V8 became unreliable as they increased the power output.

Can remember when the old RWD Opel's used to be looked up upon with the same reverence as a Mercedes Benz Rupert, Opel have had a few like the v8 Opel Diplomat, Opel Kapitan & Opel Admiral when Opel made big money on big RWD cars at the high end of the market and made loads of money on them back then, now they do the FWD Kodak low end of the car market with a no profit on the roof Kodak Karl sold at big losses, and are a big financial induced parasitic drag attached to General Motors today.

I kinda wish Opel would go back to the times when they made premium RWD cars that made huge profits were challenging Mercedes Benz more at the premium end of the market, rather than the dross they make today that chases the FWD Fiat Panda huge loss making end of Kodak no profit end of the car market Rupert, losing billions. J/LR are a small company in a sharp contrast to FWD Opel they are making billions in profits at the moment.

The Senator was a nice Opel car Rupert in its day.

·
Registered
7,899 Posts
The European market for Opel/Vauxhall Senators died with the preference switch to premium brands, just like the market for Ford Granada/Scorpio and Rover SD1/800series - there's no place in European mainstream for cars that big/expensive.

Mainstream RWD is dead and long gone in Europe, never to return because mainstream buyers don't care which axle is driven - get used to it.

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
The European market for Opel/Vauxhall Senators died with the preference switch to premium brands, just like the market for Ford Granada/Scorpio and Rover SD1/800series - there's no place in European mainstream for cars that big/expensive.

Mainstream RWD is dead and long gone in Europe, never to return because mainstream buyers don't care which axle is driven - get used to it.
$20 Billion losses at FWD comprimises Kodak Opel the way to go, thats what you call progress Mmmm.

Quality RWD Jaguar- RWD/4WD Land Rover a tiny company just made $4 billions in profits, and they just turned in another $1 billion in profit the last quarter. Yet another quality RWD producer making big money in Europe at the moment.

Low volume RWD BMW & Mercedes Benz "mainstream" experts axle has replaced the mass produced mass produced FWD compromise Mondeo & Insinia no-hopers axle in the large car segment in Europe.

European sales 2013 large car segment.
RWD BMW 3 Series 201,026
RWD Mercedes Benz C Class 120.285
RWD BMW 5 Series 107,307
RWD Mercedes E Class 106,559
FWD Opel/Vauxhall Insignia 77,127
FWD Ford Mondeo 50,180

RWD BMW & RWD Mercedes are "mainstream" producers in the large car segment, both never sold a thing in Europe 30 years ago, but are making billions in profits today in Europe. Ford were bashing out 375,000 Cortina/Taunus were No1 in Europe, sending billions in profit back to the Blue Oval bank manager in Europe, Ford used the money to snaping-up companies like Jaguar/Land Rover with those big RWD Cortina/Taunus record breaking EU profits. What has gone wrong today why is the Mondeo/Insignia a non-player today, what has "mainstream" BMW & Mercedes Benz got that separates them others than the drivetrain, in the large car segment?

RWD BMW 3 Series had very low volume car sales 30 years ago in this sector, how did the RWD BMW 3 series move from low volume producer to outselling everything in the whole FWD Opel line-up last year except the Corsa Rupert?

FWD large cars at both Ford & Opel have handed gift wrapped the large car market, and handed over to RWD BMW & Mercedes in Europe who were both low volume producer 30 years ago with very tiny sales numbers, now RWD BMW & RWD Mercedes are now the MASS PRODUCERS own the large car market, mass producing billions in profits in Europe, as Opel lose billions.

How did the these two low volume producer winners that wiped out FWD Opel large car in the very lucrative large car segment Rupert what went wrong at Opel? RWD BMW & Mercedes are your so called "Mainstream" large cars that own this market, are the new "mass producers" Opel and Ford thrown in the towel with crap FWD according to you are no-can-do, whilst "mainstream" RWD BMW & RWD Mercedes Benz make billions in profits in the large car segment.

RWD BMW 3 Series 200,000 sales v FWD Ford Mondeo 50,000 last year, in the large car segment, which is drivetrain of choice in the large segment. Seem like BMW are "mainstream" making billions in profit in Europe, Ford are low volume player losing billions in Europe. Opel roll over and die can't do RWD lose billions, as the BMW 3 Series outsell everything in the Opel shed except for the Corsa last year.

Those were the days though Rupert when Opel were very capable, very able, made huge profits on v8 Opel Diplomat, Opel Kapitan & Opel Admiral cars and were held in the same regard same reverence as a Mercedes Benz.

I find it kinda of sad today that Opel have lost all that reverence, respect when they were up there held in the same regard as a Mercedes Benz and now they are no-can-do premium RWD anymore junk FWD brand, that lose $20 billions.

The 4WD Mokka is a good start a step right direction at Opel its a high-end premium car, l like that it's gonna generate some much needed revenue on roof for Opel, when Opel offer premium cars at the top end of the market - Europeans jump at chance when offered it, and buy it from Opel.. GM Europe needs more premium cars like this in EU line-up, premium top end cars like this are gonna put Opel back on the road to profabilty again.

Adam Opel would "turn-in-his-grave" if he awoke saw the FWD Kodak crap Opel were churning out today in Europe losing $20 billions.

·
Registered
11,887 Posts
Comments by Gerry McGovern a few weeks back hinted at a 'An incredibly luxurious low slung cruiser, on road biased, but with credible off road abilities via air suspension'. I might be paraphrasing him a bit there, but that's close to what he said. Here is Autocar's speculative rendering. Make it a little longer and add more of a fastback and you have a new SD1 right there.

Oh BTW this is basically Land Rover's response to all of the interlopers like BMW, Audi, Mercedes, Lexus etc muscling in on LR's territory. McGovern said if they can make 4WD SUV type vehicles then why can't Land Rover reverse that.

;)

·
Registered
7,899 Posts

·
Registered
7,899 Posts
The Range Rover EV image is essentially a chopped/lowered Jaguar C-X17 SUV with a Range Rover grill.

Never mind the EV - if Jaguar and Range Rover get together to build the "JLR Allroad/Outback", that would be a run away sales success - watch this space!

·
Registered
5,941 Posts

I know it was cramped, but I'm talking about the spirit of the car. I believe the last couple of years they got quality to a decent level. Took them 6-8 yrs to do it though LOL! BTW In it's day the Senator was a great looking car.

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
Strangely the article claims Vauxhall Vectra but the car is actually a Vauxhall Victor - I say actually but I doubt it's got any of the original Luton parts left in it - space-frame with a complete mechanical transplant.
Another RWD Vauxhall Victor another nice car GM Europe once had, l would like see a crap Kodak Hetz special FWD Corsa compromise that could handle 2,000 BHP through the front wheels.

Come Rupert you won't admit it FWD Opel & Ford don't have the cars like the RWD Cortina/Taunus that used to make huge profits off the back of 375,000 sales, Opel & Ford have become a small niche player in the lucrative highly profitable large car market, whist RWD BMW & RWD Mercedes Benz are the "mainstream" producer in the highly profitable large car market, and they are making billions in Europe off the back of it in profits in Europe stole all the profits.

European sales 2013 large car segment.
RWD BMW 3 Series 201,026
RWD Mercedes Benz C Class 120.285
RWD BMW 5 Series 107,307
RWD Mercedes E Class 106,559
FWD Opel/Vauxhall Insignia 77,127
FWD Ford Mondeo 50,180

30 years ago BMW were small niche player in Europe, Ford & Opel used to be mainstream in the large car segment, today FWD Ford & FWD Opel were the niche players in 2013 in the very lucrative highly profitable large car segment, today FWD Opel & Ford are losing billions in Europe.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.