GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought it was a decent write up for what it was:

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/carreviews/firstdrives/227580/lancia_delta_19_multijet.html

Glad they like they car:

FIRST OPINION: When it arrives here next year, the reborn Delta is sure to win Lancia a new band of fans. The blend of distinctive styling, a strong engine and versatile interior make it an interesting alternative to its German opponents. Slightly uninvolving driving dynamics and some cheap plastics take the shine off the experience – but they can’t detract from a model that is packed full of character and is sure to have exclusivity on its side.

·
Registered
11,071 Posts
I only wish Fiat would return Lancia to its true premium status in enjoyed in the 1950s.

Shame the brand slid into such disarray. If the 50s/60s theme could have been built upon over the years, today Lancia would rank with Audi and BMW, and not just be a Fiat for fashionistas.

·
Registered
17,579 Posts
I've said it long ago, I don't like it, and although it has grown on me, I am generally negative about it.

The interior is cheap - the fact that it is just a slightly redressed Bravo is evident, and I can't help thinking that only a few touches could alleviate that. The MiTo barely resembles the Punto inside, so Fiat can do that. Also, the central console with a slab of shiney plastic, retro-futuristic buttons and LEDs does not quite convey luxury to me. This could have been impressive in a Chinese car, but not a "breakthrough" model from a brand whose oldest model looks like that inside:

The GOOD thing is that the Delta is also cheap overall - i.e. it won't set you back too much. It is a well-equipped compact at a reasonable price, plus you get that extra-long interior. Sorta mini-Signum, but with more style and the premium brand. I could easily justify buying one over i.e. an optioned out Astra, Focus or Golf - why splurge on a pedestrian car blending into the crowd, when you can "step up" a bit in a Lancia. If GM could make any of their mid-market brands seem as unique (I'm looking at you, Buick!), they could have a winner.

That said, the MiTo should have been the Delta. This could've been the Croma replacement, but if I were Fiat, I'd just launch the all-important Bravo Multiwagon instead of that. Alfa should replace the 147 with a Bravo-based model rather than take away the Punto platform from Lancia.

·
Super Moderator
10,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This could have been impressive in a Chinese car, but not a "breakthrough" model from a brand whose oldest model looks like that inside:

That's the Thesis' interior no?

I love that interior of that car - very nicely done and seems upscale and attractive.

The gauges especially are attractive to me - but can't seem to find a decent hot of the instrument panel to post...

Still this car did some things incredibly well - the interior for one - but was a bit of a let down on the exterior styling. I really wish it had caught on, but unfortunately, it wasn't the case.

·
Super Moderator
10,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's the Thesis' interior no?
If anybody ever doubted, this is the ultimate proof that Nick is Italian.

Yes Nick, it is the Thesis.
HAHAHAHAHA. Thanks!

Si, sono veramente Italiano! :D

Glad other folks appreciate that interor. Too bad it never caught on. I really think that it was a missed opportunity.

Does anyone know if they every really marketed the Thesis around Europe?

·
Registered
17,579 Posts
The marketing wasn't that high-profile outside of Italy, I guess even Lybra got more. The problem was they went like: all-new large Lancia, as good as the old large Lancias were. But the problem is nobody really cares about Lancias anymore, sure Audrey Hepburn drove a Flaminia, but that was in 1969. They should be more like Citroen: we are as good as Germans, but with more character (but perhaps less overt).

I actually believe the Thesis styling could grow on you, especially compared to the disfigured Mercedii. They also should give it a facelift - from the rear, it still looks stunning, especially in silver (I recently drove behind one).

The thin LEDs go from clear to orange when turn signals are on and red when brakes are applied. Really a sight to behold (especially when it breaks, you should behold, i.e. break too ;) ).

Another problem - the Thesis was designed mostly as a chauffered car, or a touring car. In a market where people mostly look for driver's car, such as the new Jag, or BMW, the patrician highbrow hauler simply did not catch in.

Lancia did a much better job at marketing the Delta:

This was aired doing the Olympics. Brilliant!

·
Registered
11,071 Posts
The Thesis is one of the few truly elegant cars left on Earth. The headlights could use some work but the simple, classy butt just oozes demeure elegance.

Too bad bold, tacky, and brash are what's expected of today's upscale car buyer.

·
Registered
17,579 Posts
Too bad bold, tacky, and brash are what's expected of today's upscale car buyer.
Not really, the Jag XF or even Lexus LS are more geared towards understatement. Do not confuse Cadillac with the entirety of upscale cars. What is more, Lancia Thesis does not really excel at being understated, it does stand out a lot. I agree with you, with the ascension of the Delta, Lancia should just redo the front end to match, tweak the interior and relaunch the Thesis (perhaps as Flaminia).

·
Premium Member
9,366 Posts
I do like the Thesis a lot; it's very different and that's a good thing. It'll be interesting to see what they do on it's next generation, after seeing the Delta. I gree with the concensus though the interior on the Delta isn't too spectacular. Too bad Fiat didn't really invest a lot in Lancia, I think like T-Rex said it could've been (and could be) a legitimate competitor to the other luxury manufacturers out there.

·
Registered
13,337 Posts

It's certainly an interesting looking car.
What's with the Maybachy grille?
Thanks for that pic...I like how the A pillars and roof are blacked out. Nice to see unique design that does not resort to gawky ungainliness as did the Aztek.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts