GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,640 Posts

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/11/28/2020-lincoln-aviator-crossover-400-horsepower-la-auto-show/

At launch, the Lincoln Aviator will be available with two engines. They're both twin-turbocharged 3.0-liter V6s, and one of them is a plug-in hybrid. The standard engine makes an impressive 400 horsepower and 400 pound-feet of torque. To help put that into perspective, that's about 40 more horsepower than the top-rung six-cylinder Mercedes-Benz GLE 450 we just drove, and about 65 more horsepower than the entry-level six-cylinder BMW X5 xDrive40i. Moving to the hybrid powertrain brings Aviator output to 450 horsepower and a staggering 600 pound-feet of torque. That's just 6 ponies shy of the V8-powered BMW X5 xDrive50i, but 121 more pound-feet of torque.

This plug-in hybrid powertrain will also be able to do the typical plug-in stuff. You can run the vehicle in pure electric mode or hold the charge to be deployed at a more advantageous time such as driving in town at the end of a highway drive. Lincoln did not give estimates for the pure electric range. Fuel economy hasn't been revealed yet, either.

Other interesting hybrid notes: The battery fits entirely under the passenger side of the vehicle between the front and rear wheels. The motor is sandwiched between the engine and transmission. Lincoln also mentioned this is a modular hybrid system, so expect to see it appear in other Lincoln and Ford products in the future.

This powertrain layout is part of what makes it possible for all versions of the Aviator to use the same 10-speed automatic transmission, which is gradually proliferating through the whole Ford family. From there, power either goes solely to the rear wheels, or through an optional all-wheel-drive system.

All of this power can ride on an available adaptive air suspension the company calls Air Glide. It works like many adaptive suspensions, scanning the road with a camera to adjust damping for bumps ahead. It does have some other trick features, though. When the Aviator is parked, the suspension lowers to make the crossover look more attractive while sitting. And when the driver approaches, it lowers itself further for easier ingress. It also raises itself for snow or mild off-road driving, and it lowers down at highway speeds for better aerodynamics.

In the metal:

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Re: 2020 Lincoln Aviator Debuts

My only complaint would be the grill looks too small for that face. On the positive side, 450/600, so more powerful than the Navigator!

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

My only complaint would be the grill looks too small for that face. On the positive side, 450/600, so more powerful than the Navigator!
As the hybrid drivetrain is built into the 10-speed transmission, I think it'll only be a matter of time before the Navigator gets this same powerpack.

·
Registered
4,060 Posts

That is very well done indeed. We've spent years waiting for the vehicle that makes it clear that Lincoln has completed the initial stage of their long road back to tier-1 luxury. I would argue that, finally, this is that vehicle. It checks every. single. box.
I am blown away by how good this is. I didn't think they had it in them. Kudos to Lincoln.

The lowering suspension is something Escalade should have had already.
Yes, yes it is. Hopefully this rolls out to the Navigator, which I believe just has adjustable dampers/bushings.

And again, where are the hybrids? Even Lincoln has beaten Caddy to the hybrid game.
For a company and CEO that wants to lead in electrification, it's pretty damn quiet outside of the discontinued CT6 PHEV. Cadillac should be leading the electrification charge for GM.

·
Registered
2,898 Posts

Nice!

·
Banned
400 Posts

I really hope GM isn't seeing this vehicle for the first time and having a heart attack about their upcoming XT6. That interior is amazing. Looks quality.
GM doesn't waste its time on rebadged also-rans. XT6 has nothing to worry about. Enclave Avenir has nothing to worry about either both will destroy this on looks and reliability and performance.

·
Banned
400 Posts

This looks ugly as sin it looks like someone punched it in the face and has a shocked look. HARD PASS.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

GM doesn't waste its time on rebadged also-rans. XT6 has nothing to worry about. Enclave Avenir has nothing to worry about either both will destroy this on looks and reliability and performance.
Ok buddy.....

Rebagded also ran? Please tell me what this is a rebadge of? Call me when either XT6 or Enclave has 400/400 standard and 450/600 optional. I get being a fan of a brand, and not liking the "other guy's" product, but this comment is well outside of reality.

·
Registered
18,246 Posts

This looks ugly as sin it looks like someone punched it in the face and has a shocked look. HARD PASS.
Man....this is going to be a fun one to block and miss all these insightful posts.

Let me know when Cadillac has a 450/600 hybrid power train and the vehicle to back it up.

·
Banned
400 Posts

Ok buddy.....

Rebagded also ran? Please tell me what this is a rebadge of? Call me when either XT6 or Enclave has 400/400 standard and 450/600 optional. I get being a fan of a brand, and not liking the "other guy's" product, but this comment is well outside of reality.
Explorer just like the old Aviator real original. All Lincoln models are rebadges there's nothing unique about them at all. XT6 will have better powertrains I promise you of that.

Man....this is going to be a fun one to block and miss all these insightful posts.

Let me know when Cadillac has a 450/600 hybrid power train and the vehicle to back it up.
Who cares about hybrids? People who can't afford gas..... luxury buyers don't give a rats ass about hybrids XT6 will destroy this mark my words.

·
Registered
18,246 Posts

Explorer just like the old Aviator real original. All Lincoln models are rebadges there's nothing unique about them at all. XT6 will have better powertrains I promise you of that.

Who cares about hybrids? People who can't afford gas..... luxury buyers don't give a rats ass about hybrids XT6 will destroy this mark my words.
ITS A HYBRID WITH 450 HP AND 600 TORQUE!!!!

It's a hybrid in name only. What does the XT6 have? Oh, the 2.0T standard at 250HP/250TQ? The 3.6? Sure as hell arent getting the 3.6TT in it. Stop dreaming.

Nothing unique about the Aviator except the whole damn vehicle. You are a troll and nothing but a troll.

·
Banned
400 Posts

ITS A HYBRID WITH 450 HP AND 600 TORQUE!!!!

It's a hybrid in name only. What does the XT6 have? Oh, the 2.0T standard at 250HP/250TQ? The 3.6? Sure as hell arent getting the 3.6TT in it. Stop dreaming.

Nothing unique about the Aviator except the whole damn vehicle. You are a troll and nothing but a troll.
Just wait till the Explorer drops and has the same exact dimensions, engines, tech, and oh everything else. The only trolls on here are the Fordfanbois.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts

Blah, blah, blah... another "Wait till GM comes out with the next (fill in the blank)!!!" troll.

The CT6 was also going to be a game changer and market leading... look where that is now.

Trolls aside, the styling isn't perfect, but not enough for me to kick it away. Especially with 650 ft-lbs. Only thing I would change, like the Navigator, is the wheels. But glad to see Lincoln appear to be on the rebound.

·
Registered
18,246 Posts

Blah, blah, blah... another "Wait till GM comes out with the next (fill in the blank)!!!" troll.

The CT6 was also going to be a game changer and market leading... look where that is now.

Trolls aside, the styling isn't perfect, but not enough for me to kick it away. Especially with 650 ft-lbs. Only thing I would change, like the Navigator, is the wheels. But glad to see Lincoln appear to be on the rebound.
I agree on the wheels but they are much better than the Navigator. At least there is some depth to them instead of just a flat side look.

I didnt really notice the dash at first either. That's going to make it feel super roomy on the inside. Those seats look super comfortable as well.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts