1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

LaCrosse Launch Set for September

By Brian Corbett

WardsAuto.com, Jul 2 2004

Goodbye Regal and Century, Buick’s new midsize car is about to arrive.

PETOSKEY, MI – Job One for the ’05 Buick LaCrosse midsize sedan is scheduled for Sept. 7 at General Motors Corp.’s Oshawa, Ont., Canada, No.2 car assembly plant.

Production will ramp up rapidly, with 2,300 units scheduled to be built in September, followed by 6,660 in October and 12,000 in November, says Tom Nellenbach, LaCrosse marketing manager.
full story

·
Registered
809 Posts

Goodbye Regal and Century, Buick’s new midsize car is about to arrive.

Good Riddance. Buick needs something, anything to work them more towards a younger crowd. I don't think this is it tho.

·
Registered
4,768 Posts
I don't know what I think of this yet. It depends on the price. With some nice aftermarket 18" 5 spoke wheels I think it might look good.

Now only if I could get one with the 3.6 liter engine for under $30,000.....

5,934 Posts
ibechip - i agree. The LaCrosse concept we all saw I think had more potential to ween people out of BMW's, Acura's and Lexus's. I think this is basically the Century and Regal with a new front/hind end and upgraded interior.

It's a small step, but I'll take it. GM is on the right path.

I'll check one out, but won't be getting my checkbook out. Once the Velite, and other Buick's along those "lines" come out, then I'll be more willing to be "caught in a Buick".

later..... :D

·
Registered
29 Posts
I saw 2 of them around the Technical Center in Warren Michigan.
They were actually pretty nice looking, i really don't think that the
picture does it justice.

·
Registered
89 Posts
they had the terrazza and lacrosse at my local buick dealer the last two days on some tour or something..

so i stopped by to check them out..

terrazza is what it is, i was mildly impressed, but i dont like any minivans really.

the lacrosse was a sight.. it was beautiful and had presence... it was a mix of an Oldsmobile Intrigue, Buick, Lexus and Jaguar to me..

the interior was great, had its own thing going on...

love the back end too, the big buick logo and clean lights..

the chrome wheels looked great.

overall, i am hugely impressed with this car, i think it should do great.

·
Registered
5,632 Posts
From what I can tell only the top model will have the 3.6 dohc. And that version will surely sticker for over $30k. I wish you could get that engine on the base or mid level models.

·
Editor
26,951 Posts
Originally posted by giagastormer@Jul 7 2004, 02:51 PM
are they going to offer 18 inch wheels? That pic looks like those wheels are 18's.
The LaCroose will only feature 16" and 17" rims.. No 18"s. :(

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
No way in hell those are 17's in that picture. I remember at the 2003 NAIAS there was a Yellow GTO and it had 18's on it. I hate when they show preproduction vehicles with bigger wheels then what they are going to offer.

·
Editor
26,951 Posts
Originally posted by giagastormer@Jul 7 2004, 03:06 PM
No way in hell those are 17's in that picture. I remember at the 2003 NAIAS there was a Yellow GTO and it had 18's on it. I hate when they show preproduction vehicles with bigger wheels then what they are going to offer.
I just looked at the spec sheet. They aren't 18"s.

Yeah, they always seem to have bigger wheels on show vehicles, for some reason.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
They look bigger because I belive they are flangeless rims, in which it gives the appearance of being larger.

I think the LaCrosse will be a great surprise to the people coming back to trade in there Regals and Centurys. I cant wait for the LaCrosse vs ES330 contest. Im sure Lexus will win, but I hope the LaCrosse gets some good remarks.

5,934 Posts
Those look like 16" to me.

·
Banned
895 Posts
The continuation of the dull, boring, uninspiring products from GM continues. I'm now convinced that Robert Lutz is the best thing to happen to GM. Under his guidance, his products continue to get blander. In a few more years, you won't even be able to tell that they are made by GM! This thing, the LaCrossedeye, looks like a Hyundai.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
I like that car, it's a elegant looking Grand Prix, to me what a Buick should look like.

Now lets have the rear seat right. a little more head room getting in and out of the rear seat and no major mistakes this time GM! A successful launch of what looks to be a successful car.

Anyone hear of a name for Canada yet or is it even coming here?

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
In Canada it's the BUICK ALLURE.

I saw one in Oshawa ON when I was driving through 2 weeks ago. It was whipping down the highway and it looked nice!

·
Registered
522 Posts
Originally posted by laserwizard@Jul 7 2004, 05:01 PM
The continuation of the dull, boring, uninspiring products from GM continues. I'm now convinced that Robert Lutz is the best thing to happen to GM. Under his guidance, his products continue to get blander. In a few more years, you won't even be able to tell that they are made by GM! This thing, the LaCrossedeye, looks like a Hyundai.
I am amazed at the blame aimed toward Bob Lutz, on this website. Do any of you know how long it takes for a car development program to yield fruit???? The shortest timeframe is about 24 months, with the industry average being about 36-40 months. Bob Lutz has not been with GM for a full two years, yet! While he has been able to order up styling tweaks on vehicles that were close to production, and steer the product development and marketing direction of GM, nothing currently on the market bares his complete imprint. LaCrosse, and STS are notable, because they were delayed by Lutz, to fix some interior/exterior styling issues, and resolve some market placement concerns. Lutz, also recognized the need for Pontiac to quickly return to RWD, V8 performance, despite what one may think of the GTO's styling. The same quick thinking has also allowed Saab to get some much needed new product, even if the 9-7X, and 9-2X are little more than place holders for future vehicles.

We probably won't be seeing completely new vehicles, developed under Lutz, until the Solstice debuts in late 2005. The Buick Velite, next GTO/Grand Prix, and future Chevelle/Camaro will represent the next wave of Lutz sheparded vehicles.

I hope that folks also realize the Bob Lutz is not a designer! Lutz is a product development manager/guru. His position is akin to a coach or general manager, in sports, who provides the team with the structure, tools, guidance, and motivation to get the job done. So, don't judge Lutz, based on the likes of the Saturn Ion(s), Chevy Malibu, Pontiac Aztek/Buick Rendevous, and to some extent, the LaCrosse. GM's current crop of vehicles (some great and others not so great) were developed under the management of others.

·
Premium Member
15,292 Posts
"Low 30s" for the CXS?? I wonder how long it'll take to have $4,000 in incentives piled on the hood. For that price I'd take a 300C or an entry trim level of the CTS over a loaded Century with with an unfortunately bland face-lift.

And all of those who say it looks better in person, I saw it at the NY auto show in April. It was really nothing special to look at, in fact, most people just breezed right past the loaded CXS that was on display.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts