GM Inside News Forum banner

Lacrosse, a dumb name?

2K views 27 replies 24 participants last post by  King Riffle 
#1 ·
Am I the only one who thinks Lacrosse is a dumb name, much less so but Lucurne and Enclave are along those lines.

Instead of Lacrosse, how about INVICTA?

Lucern? Electra is a better name

Enclave? There HAS to be a better one.

#6 ·
LaCrosse to me seems like it should have been applied to crossover, if at all.

I miss "Rainier"; that was a cool name.

"Lucerne" sounds nice too. Classy, upscale. Old farts like me like these sort of names.

I feel "Invicta" should go on their top Zeta model. It conjures images of power and invincibility.

"Wildcat" and "Riviera" are blasts from the past that I'd like to see return.

"Terraza" was a beautiful name squandered on a dreadful vehicle. GM ruined this one.

"Rendezvous" was a good name. I'd like to see it return on a compact crossover.

"Park Avenue". Ugh. I hate car names that sound like addresses. It's like... "introducing, the new 2009 Chevrolet Elm Street"...

If Buick bring back a compact model, I'd like to see "Apollo" return. But I'm a sucker for anything reflecting Greco-Roman mythology! "Skylark" isn't bad either. Maybe use the name for a future small convertible.

I don't see why the Canadian "Allure" moniker couldn't be used for the LaCrosse successor. I think it's a good name.

#27 ·
LaCrosse to me seems like it should have been applied to crossover, if at all.

I miss "Rainier"; that was a cool name.

"Lucerne" sounds nice too. Classy, upscale. Old farts like me like these sort of names.

I feel "Invicta" should go on their top Zeta model. It conjures images of power and invincibility.

"Wildcat" and "Riviera" are blasts from the past that I'd like to see return.

"Terraza" was a beautiful name squandered on a dreadful vehicle. GM ruined this one.

"Rendezvous" was a good name. I'd like to see it return on a compact crossover.

"Park Avenue". Ugh. I hate car names that sound like addresses. It's like... "introducing, the new 2009 Chevrolet Elm Street"...

If Buick bring back a compact model, I'd like to see "Apollo" return. But I'm a sucker for anything reflecting Greco-Roman mythology! "Skylark" isn't bad either. Maybe use the name for a future small convertible.

I don't see why the Canadian "Allure" moniker couldn't be used for the LaCrosse successor. I think it's a good name.
You hit the nail on the head, t-rex, except I like the name Park Avenue. Applying LaCrosse to a crossover I think would be most appropriate for a Saturn.

#11 ·
Riviera, Regal, Skylark, Electra, etc. There's plenty of names to pick from.

(Naming new Buicks should really be a no-brainer, there are so few models nowadays compared to the number of good old dead names from better decades, the supply is all but infinite)

#16 ·
Regal!

#18 ·
Lucerne has some bit of elegance to it......but Regal, Park Avenue, Roadmaster, Electra & Riviera have more.

It's exactly the same with LaCrosse......why stick your head in the sand and name a car that when you've got Century, Invicta, Wildcat, Skylark and Skyhawk to choose from??

#19 ·
Lucerne is a cool name, but Lacrosse has to go. Invicta is good. :D

Enclave is an awesomely fitting name. A definition of Enclave is something that isolates you from an outside environment. QuietTuning FTW!

#20 ·
When GM came up with the name for the Buick Lucerne, they wanted us to associate the Buick with this:

Sorry, GM, but I still associate the name of the buick with this:

:D:D:D

#21 ·
Now, the question is whether they will keep the LaCrosse name for the next generation, or go back to Regal. It was a stupid move to change the name - and it's not like the Regal even had a bad reputation like the Cavalier sort of did.

#22 ·
Electra sounds very 1950's.

#28 ·
Thank you! It sounds like a supervillian from a bad 1950's sci fi television show.

It just screams "Old People". There's no place for that name on a car from today. Same with Invicta (though to a lesser extent).

Come to think of it I don't like Wildcat either. Not a name for a luxury or near-luxury car, not even a sporty one.

Really though, I don't think most people (in the U.S. anyway) link La Crosse and Lucerne with masterbation and milk. They (the one's that even bother to ponder the name's origins) probably figure they're just French words.

It's not like they're bad sounding names anyway.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.