GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Super Moderator
21,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Via FIN:

USA TODAY said:
Jim Farley, Ford executive vice president who's been overseeing products in the U.S and soon is heading for Europe to do the same there, said Explorer is a key model because it is a touchstone for all other Ford SUVs."Explorer is the utility DNA for all Ford utilities," he said at the preview.

The new Platinum model is for "box-checkers," Ford said -- buyers who want everything, so check all the options boxes on the order form.

It comes with a 3.5-liter EcoBoost V-6, 20-inch-diameter wheels, satin chrome detailing, unique grille and LED headlights, dual power moonroof and the satin-finish Ford oval logo.

The last is no big deal outside the company, but it's a huge move for Ford. No other company vehicle has worn anything except the blue Ford oval logo. It's meant to signal special premium status for the new Platinum.

Big powertrain news is that the 2.3-liter EcoBoost four-cylinder that's been so well-received in the redesigned 2015 Mustang replaces the current Explorer's 2-liter four-cylinder as the gas mileage leader. The 2.3-liter will be offered with all-wheel drive, which wasn't available with on the smaller four.
A few of the new features of the 2016 Explorer:

2.3L EcoBoost at 270hp and 300 lb-ft torque with available AWD.
3.5L V6 at 365hp and 350 lb-ft torque
3.5L EcoBoost at

New ultra-luxurious Platinum Trim Level: The Explorer Platinum model shines with sharp satin chrome accents throughout the body, from the unique Platinum grille to the rear liftgate. There's standard dual-panel moonroof up top and stunning 20-inch bright-faced wheels with dark painted pockets below. The standard, powerful 3.5L EcoBoost® V6 enables towing up to 2,268 kg (5,000 lbs.)* Premium leather is everywhere in the new Platinum interior. Leather-trimmed seats with quilted inserts feature multicontour functionality. The leather-wrapped dashboard and steering wheel are styled with contrast stitching.

180 degree camera

Park Assist
- Perpendicular parking
- Parallel parking
- Park out assist

Foot Activated Liftgate

LED signature lights

The beginning quoted text was originally from a USA Today article, but it has been taken down.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Re: LAIAS: 2016 Ford Explorer

I DO NOT like those open gaps beneath the main grille, they make the whole front fascia look too busy and cluttered. However, I do like the headlights, they have a Taurus X/Freestyle feeling about them, but I think they make the Explorer look a little meaner.

·
Super Moderator
21,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: LAIAS: 2016 Ford Explorer

Article said:
...and the satin-finish Ford oval logo.

The last is no big deal outside the company, but it's a huge move for Ford. No other company vehicle has worn anything except the blue Ford oval logo. It's meant to signal special premium status for the new Platinum.
I really like this part. Good move by Ford.

·
Registered
11,998 Posts
Looks nice. The platinum is interesting, and I wonder if a slightly more powerful 2.3T could replace the V-6 (in performance anyway, IDK if the market would accept such an engine).

I still think the Durango is the better option, but judging by sales.....

·
543 Posts
2016 Ford Explorer Gets 2.3L EcoBoost, New Platinum Trim

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/...s-new-2-3l-ecoboost-engine-platinum-trim.html

Ford is updating its Explorer for the 2016 model with a new premium trim level and a long list of updates that customers have been asking for.

The new design is a subtle update that works to improve the overall aerodynamic efficiency of the SUV by five percent. Along with a new grille and restyled rear spoiler are new headlights with LED light bars and new taillights. Active grille shutters also close at speed to reduce drag.

The new-for-2016 Platinum trim level takes the Explorer up-market with 20-inch wheels, satin chrome accents and a unique satin chrome grille, along with unique runners along the side and integrated exhaust pipes.

Ford is looking to deliver a true premium experience with the Platinum model which comes with every option available including some new features like 180 degree cameras front and rear (with integrated washers), a side sensor to let you know if you’re next to a pillar in a parking garage, an enhanced version of Ford’s active park assist system and a hands-free liftgate that opens just with the motion of your foot.

Platinum models also come standard with the brand’s 3.5-liter EcoBoost Twin-turbo V6 with 365 hp and 350 lb-ft of torque, which was previously only available on the Sport model.

As for the rest of the lineup, the base 290-hp 3.5-liter V6 remains while Ford has swapped out the 2.0-liter EcoBoost turbocharged 4-cylinder for a larger 2.3-liter unit with more power. The new unit makes 270 hp and 300 lb-ft of torque, up 30 hp and torque respectively.

Available even on the base model, Ford is now also offering the EcoBoost 4-cylinder with 4WD – something not previously possible.

Inside there are plenty of updates particularly on the Platimm trim. There’s real wood, brushed aluminum and leather coats every surface, with a unique stitch design. And to show just how special this model is, it gets a silver Ford logo (not a blue one) on the steering wheel.

But the single biggest change, and one that practically everyone has been asking for, might be what’s located on the center stack. Yes, the much maligned MyFord Touch system no longer has that awful touch sensitive setup, but real buttons.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
My wife drives a 2007 Explorer Eddie Bauer edition. I like it because it is truck based and drives like it. I wasn't keen on the new Explorer and the switch to a FWD crossover platform but the looks have been growing on me. I like the idea of the AWD EB TTV6 option but I've never driven one to know if it makes for an engaging drive or not. This refresh seems very safe. The front reminds me of the old Taurus X

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
This quilted leather inserts exude pure sexiness...:dro: Like others who have commented I do think they kept the exterior very sedate as I too see a bit of Taurus X in the front and even a lil' bit of last gen Escape about the taillights.

·
Registered
16,689 Posts

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Nice new details, but it looks older and plainer than the current model. The current models front end, wheels, lights, etc. look fresher and more aggressive.

One of those odd cases where a refresh goes backwards.

And is this new design language for Ford with a mesh grille and no razor bars?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts