GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Super Moderator
21,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In Time for Its 60th Birthday, the 300 Gets a Mojo-Makeover.
MotorTrend
By: Frank Markus
November 18, 2014

The 2005 Chrysler 300's brash, bargain-Bentley facade and gun sight greenhouse made it an instant icon. My dad bought one with the Hemi the night they went on sale. That car's 2011 replacement refined the body surfacing in every way without altering its proportions, but to many eyes the new look lacked swagger. My dad agrees, and he has not been as happy with his second-gen 300. He hates the electronic shifter and hasn't totally forgiven me for talking him into the V-6 eight-speed. (I just couldn't let him buy that old five-speed that came with the Hemi.)

Well, Dad, here's the 300 you wish you'd held out for. At long last the 5.7-liter, 363-hp, 394-lb-ft Hemi gets the eight-speed automatic you really wanted, bumping EPA fuel economy 1 mpg city and combined to 16 and 19 mpg, with highway remaining at 25. Better yet, gear selection for that tranny is via Chrysler's new rotary dial and shift paddles. No more guesswork. It's once again safe to make a three-point turn on a traveled highway because you'll always know you're in the gear you intended. And check out that 30-percent bigger, bolder new grille! Angry enough for you?

Full article available at link.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Additional pictures:

Picture 1: "Oh, I'm so sorry I startled you Mr. 300!"

Picture 2: FCA is really runnin' with that two-tone steering wheel idea aren't they? While it's a nice improvement over the past two generations, I just feel like there is way too much going on in that interior, something about it needs toned down a smidge.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
A mild refresh at best. Meh.

Reactions: ehaase

·
Registered
11,998 Posts
Like the rotary dial shifter change and the contrast stitching. But the 300 needs more changes to separate it from the Charger if it's going to cost more and in some ways compete with the Genesis.

A decent update but the Charger gets a new nose and Hellcat. The 300 is getting a bit quiet.

·
Registered
16,689 Posts
Not loving the new front clip, but the beautiful overall shape remains. The interior looks wonderful.

·
Registered
19,265 Posts
As has been said... interior is great, wheels are killer, silhouette is the same great classic shape.

That grille is awful, but it's probably an "I'm just disappointed and it could grow on me" kind of awful, so I'll wait and see. I do not like the logo placement, though, as I think the floating logo and rounded maw gives it a less masculine and less sophisticated look.

Brushed nickel is a good thing. No AWD V8 is not.

8/10

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Nice update, basically leaving it alone, but some nice adds, like the 8 speed with HEMI C version. The rotary shifter in some ways is a throwback to the original pushbuttons. Is the 300 SRT history with this model? I know they've been threatening to do that. Big mistake IMO.

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
As has been said... interior is great, wheels are killer, silhouette is the same great classic shape.

That grille is awful, but it's probably an "I'm just disappointed and it could grow on me" kind of awful, so I'll wait and see. I do not like the logo placement, though, as I think the floating logo and rounded maw gives it a less masculine and less sophisticated look.

Brushed nickel is a good thing. No AWD V8 is not.

8/10
I agree with all of this. They fixed what wasn't broken in my opinion. I really liked the outside of the last one, it was the interior/5AT that was the problem. Kinda looks like they were trying too hard to emulate Jaguar this time around on the outside... 6.8/10 for me

·
Registered
539 Posts
They should have made the 6.4l an extra cost option IMO, don't have to call it the SRT, maybe shuffle the names around so that the "300C" dneoted the 6.4l and 300S V8 was the 5.7l, or called it the 300C Imperial. Don't give it the fancy SRT suspension and whatever I guess. The old SRT was a good seller and a popular car that lent credibility to the brand, what's the point of killing it?

1 - 20 of 70 Posts