·
Super Moderator
21,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
LA LIVE: 2015 BMW X5 M
Left Lane News
By: Drew Johnson
November 19, 2014

BMW has unveiled its second-generation X5 M at the Los Angeles auto show.

Tweaked by BMW's high-performance M division, the 2015 X5 M arrives with the distinction of being the brand's most powerful all-wheel drive vehicle to date. That title comes courtesy of a revised 4.4L twin-turbocharged V8 that makes 567 horsepower and 553 lb-ft of torque.

That power is put to the ground via a new eight-speed M Steptronic transmission with Drivelogic. BMW says the X5 M can accelerate from 0-60 in 4.0 seconds and hit a top speed of 155mph - not too shabby for a vehicle that weighs just over 5,000 pounds.

But despite those performance chops, BMW says the all-new X5 M is 20 percent more efficient than its predecessor. Final EPA ratings, however, are unavailable at this time.

Full article available at link.

·
Registered
6,484 Posts
So this beast is just .1 seconds slower than the new ATS-V?!

Damn...this beast is fast. Wouldn't mind having one to sit in my dream garage next to my ATS-V sedan.

But once the road turns twisty...the ATS-V will leave it in the dust because at the end of the day - this is a big SUV

·
Registered
11,887 Posts
I'm still missing the point of insanely powerful, "sporty" crossovers...
I'm sort of missing the point of most insanely powerful vehicles, which seem to spring up all the time now.

I am waiting for the 1000 hp level and sub 3 second barrier to be broken by a regular production based "special" from a manufacturer. It will come.

These numbers would have been unbelievable a couple decades back when we all thought the days of performance cars was over...

;)

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
IMHO, this is where SRX needs to be. Not some half-assed Lexus RX competitor. Leave that class of CUV to Buick.
GM's "parts bin special" attempt to compete in this market a few years back (TBSS) proves they don't care about this segment. I'd like to see the SRX here as well, but I see no scenario where GM would care to make a competitor for this.

·
Registered
44,410 Posts
GM's "parts bin special" attempt to compete in this market a few years back (TBSS) proves they don't care about this segment. I see no scenario where GM would care to make a competitor for this.
TBSS/9-7X Aero is sooooooo not in this class!!! GMT-360 is a clunky platform compared to the BMW F15!!

Cadillac should absolutely have a competitor in this class. But GM/Cadillac does not have a competitive platform.

·
Registered
11,998 Posts
I just can't get interested in BMW crossovers. I'd rather have the ML63 AMG or GL63 AMG. I might even rather have that RRS SVR.

But were it really my money, it'd be a Grand Cherokee SRT. I know, it's slower and not exactly as luxurious. But it looks and sounds like a monster.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
TBSS/9-7X Aero is sooooooo not in this class!!! GMT-360 is a clunky platform compared to the BMW F15!!

Cadillac should absolutely have a competitor in this class. But GM/Cadillac does not have a competitive platform.
I was mainly referring to the sporty/fast SUV segment. I completely agree that the SS/Aero are not anywhere near the X5M, but to date those two models are GM's only attempt at this market, and it was half-assed at best.

I also agree that Cadillac would need a whole new platform. This is why I don't see GM building a rival to any of the M optioned SUVs.

·
Registered
44,410 Posts
I was mainly referring to the sporty/fast SUV segment. I completely agree that the SS/Aero are not anywhere near the X5M, but to date those two models are GM's only attempt at this market, and it was half-assed at best.
How quickly we forget the Typhoon. As far as I know, GM invented the market of performance SUV, though, as they have always done, they abandoned it.

I also agree that Cadillac would need a whole new platform. This is why I don't see GM building a rival to any of the M optioned SUVs.
Cadillac has to build a rival to these performance SUV's. I don't think it should be now, but it has to be on their product roadmap. IMHO, what is more pressing is a compact CUV. That's where all the money is right now.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.