GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have an 2018 Chevy 2500HD with a Duramax L5P engine introduced in 2017. I've owned it for 19 days and it has been back to the dealer in and around their shop for 12 days. It is showing codes for malfunctioning emission system. The dealer thinks it is a faulty Diesel Particulant Filter and/or can not figure why it is plugging. These issues are not new with the L5P engine and have been around since mandated in 2011 with the then new LML engine. My question is just how wide spread are these issues. And my problem down the road is, if I trade the truck back should I get another and risk the same problems or just try to get my money back and wait for GM to get their act together.

·
Registered
9,535 Posts
I am a heavy truck mechanic and aftertreatment is ALMOST the ONLY thing we work on when it comes to engines
a lot of school boards and ambulance services are buying petrol/gas power to get away from DPF/SCR systems

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
I have an 2018 Chevy 2500HD with a Duramax L5P engine introduced in 2017. I've owned it for 19 days and it has been back to the dealer in and around their shop for 12 days. It is showing codes for malfunctioning emission system. The dealer thinks it is a faulty Diesel Particulant Filter and/or can not figure why it is plugging. These issues are not new with the L5P engine and have been around since mandated in 2011 with the then new LML engine. My question is just how wide spread are these issues. And my problem down the road is, if I trade the truck back should I get another and risk the same problems or just try to get my money back and wait for GM to get their act together.

My two cents: (I'm not a heavy truck mechanic) - If the dealer cannot repair a new vehicle that has an immediate defect, I would NOT get another one. I would research the Lemon Law for your state, ensure your vehicle fits the criteria (you may have to have it be out-of-service for more days), and begin the repurchase process using an attorney (I'm not an attorney).

I have gone through two repurchases under my state's Lemon Law with Chevrolet vehicles (1997 Camaro Z-28 convertible and a 2011 Impala LTZ).

If the dealer can't fix it now - do you think they will be able to fix it in a year or two or three?

Good luck. What a shame.

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have done the homework and marked the countdown days on my calendar. One of the reasons for the post was to find out how widespread these emission issues are. I love the diesel and and truck. One would hope that after 8 years of putting exhaust controls on their vehicles that they would work without repeated trouble.

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
I am a heavy truck mechanic and aftertreatment is ALMOST the ONLY thing we work on when it comes to engines
a lot of school boards and ambulance services are buying petrol/gas power to get away from DPF/SCR systems
One of my friends went to buy a John Deere tractor and the local shop would not sell him one with the def fluid on it. They sold him a used one. He asked why not a new one and they told him that they would not sell one to any of there customers they would rather lose a sale than the customer.

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
linton23. My dealer advised me they get $95/hr from GM to do warranty work. Can you divulge if there comes a time when they no longer want to work on a vehicle because it is just using up their allotment of warrant work money? It's nearing the second week and they keep me advised they don't know what's wrong with it, daily. Their idea of Customer Service.

se

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
linton23. My dealer advised me they get $95/hr from GM to do warranty work. Can you divulge if there comes a time when they no longer want to work on a vehicle because it is just using up their allotment of warrant work money? It's nearing the second week and they keep me advised they don't know what's wrong with it, daily. Their idea of Customer Service.

se
Not really as long as GM pays they will test. Though if they say they dont know whats wrong tell them you are ready to pursue lemon law on it and ask if they will help. That will normally draw a GM engineer in to see whats going on if they can then identify the issue.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts

·
Registered
9,535 Posts

se
I know dealing with CUMMINS / PETERBILT and other OEM's you HAVE to have the jobs approved for Warranty SAY you have "SCR reductant low quality" a common code on GM's the service manuals will give you step by step tests to perform and each one of those is warrantable but if I say decide to PULL the EGR and test it for no reason other then it *MIGHT* help as it is NOT related to DEF quality that would be denied warranty and the SHOP would EAT that labour + parts
I know GM has regional tech support phone lines and will send out a tech if the shop can NOT figure it out

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
I know dealing with CUMMINS / PETERBILT and other OEM's you HAVE to have the jobs approved for Warranty SAY you have "SCR reductant low quality" a common code on GM's the service manuals will give you step by step tests to perform and each one of those is warrantable but if I say decide to PULL the EGR and test it for no reason other then it *MIGHT* help as it is NOT related to DEF quality that would be denied warranty and the SHOP would EAT that labour + parts
I know GM has regional tech support phone lines and will send out a tech if the shop can NOT figure it out
One of the reasons our best electronic tech has quit GM will only pay for the fix not the diagnostic. So on electrical gremlins he crawls around the car for 4 hours testing then gets paid for a 30 min fix. They get approval for fixes that may not like you said be a cure but may fix the issue. My shop had a diesel in last month with a regen code it said it had to clean the filter they reset it and ran a clean 3 times nothing. Took it to a diesel shop here in town and he did the same thing and it cleared.

·
Registered
441 Posts
One of my friends went to buy a John Deere tractor and the local shop would not sell him one with the def fluid on it. They sold him a used one. He asked why not a new one and they told him that they would not sell one to any of there customers they would rather lose a sale than the customer.
Ha! My John Deer dealer is opposite! He want's my old tractor as a trade in because he has a long list of folks who'll buy it up for good $$. Try's to wow me with all the new automated features of the new units and never mentioning the emission controls.

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Emissions seem to be a consistent problem in some form or fashion with a lot of manufacturers as of late. Interesting that it is a trend in diesel, whereas I just looked at the thread talking about issues with the new Ford Explorer's emissions causing issues with cops as well.

Any idea why this has sprung up? You'd think with increasing emissions standards these systems would only be getting more refined. Or are the increasing standards causing companies to have to try new things that are in turn failing?

·
Registered
9,535 Posts
Ha! My John Deer dealer is opposite! He want's my old tractor as a trade in because he has a long list of folks who'll buy it up for good $$. Try's to wow me with all the new automated features of the new units and never mentioning the emission controls.
you can ADD automated controls to an existing tractor and even the SAME system as new ones as the autonomous systems come from a 3rd party like trimble or outback systems
http://www.trimble.com/agriculture/index.aspx
http://www.outbackguidance.com/Home.aspx

·
Registered
9,535 Posts
Emissions seem to be a consistent problem in some form or fashion with a lot of manufacturers as of late. Interesting that it is a trend in diesel, whereas I just looked at the thread talking about issues with the new Ford Explorer's emissions causing issues with cops as well.

Any idea why this has sprung up? You'd think with increasing emissions standards these systems would only be getting more refined. Or are the increasing standards causing companies to have to try new things that are in turn failing?
there are two unrelated issues here
#1 the FORD interceptor SUV "cop car" this is a "traditional" exhaust entering the cabin" issue and is NOT related to the emissions system but a LEAK forward of the back of the cabin and the cabin being well sealed it does not vent back out like an OLDER car would

#2 the DIESEL aftertreatment system is so REGULATED to MAINTAIN performance that it sets derate codes LONG before drivability issue crop up
common being SCR efficiency low OR catalyst reductant bad quality both are codes for DEF fluid system NOT REMOVING ENOUGH Oxides of Nitrogen compared to a CHART the GOVERNMENT mandates
the standards are SO TIGHT that even MINOR "drift" will set off the codes

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Spoke with the service tect that is working on my 2018 Duramax today. They believe the EGT's are too low causing the DPF to plug up earlier than normal. Could not explain why it doesn't do a re-gen and take care of it as if the EGT's were higher. The failure to do a re-gen still exists to be a problem. I have serious doubts I will ever drive that vehicle ever again. Day 16 in the shop.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Spoke with the service tect that is working on my 2018 Duramax today. They believe the EGT's are too low causing the DPF to plug up earlier than normal. Could not explain why it doesn't do a re-gen and take care of it as if the EGT's were higher. The failure to do a re-gen still exists to be a problem. I have serious doubts I will ever drive that vehicle ever again. Day 16 in the shop.

I will continue to follow this thread and wish you nothing but good luck.

I would not push the dealership to rush the repair - if you are considering going the "Lemon Law" route.

It has been my experience with over 45 years of driving and owning vehicles that many (emphasis added) dealer service technicians have lost the ability to troubleshoot a problem with vehicles that their dealership sells and services. They have become code readers and parts replacers as various systems become more complicated.

Chevrolet has a Technical Assistance Center and I wonder if the dealership tech has contacted them for guidance and assistance?

Where you provided a loaner vehicle?

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The service tect advised he has been in constant contact with a GM tect and following their guidance. I've spoken to them many times, as the call me daily now with "updates". I demonstrate patience and they do not know from me of plans for the lemon law route. Yes, I have a loaner, albeit a Malibu. Far cry from a 2500HD. I still have my deleted 2011 2500HD that drives beautifully.

·
Registered
9,535 Posts
I will continue to follow this thread and wish you nothing but good luck.

I would not push the dealership to rush the repair - if you are considering going the "Lemon Law" route.

It has been my experience with over 45 years of driving and owning vehicles that many (emphasis added) dealer service technicians have lost the ability to troubleshoot a problem with vehicles that their dealership sells and services. They have become code readers and parts replacers as various systems become more complicated.

Chevrolet has a Technical Assistance Center and I wonder if the dealership tech has contacted them for guidance and assistance?

Where you provided a loaner vehicle?

these modern diesels EVEN the support techs and engineers can be dumbfounded trying to get them to work correctly
we have one that outside of replacing 30K of parts insists to set the SCR conversion low code even Cummins has had it in there shop with flown in engineers
we have over 10 identical units with almost identical mileage and this ONE UNIT won't "play nice" it is NOW on year 2 with that ONE code active and it won't derate thankfully

as for the REGEN temp the computer will NOT start injecting fuel into the DOC "reheater" until a minimum exhaust temp is reached as the DOC won't catalyse properly unless heated and if the engine can NOT reach the minimum temp it will FAIL the regen

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Dealer contacted me today. Advised the GM guy was there all day working on my truck. He determined it needs a new ECM. I wish them luck and success, I can not get excited that they have found a cure. Paper work mailed to the Consumer Law Firm. Even if I get the truck back and it is well, I still want to be compensated. This is day 25 with it being back to the dealership.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts