GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Editor
26,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
By Kathy Jackson
Automotive News / June 21, 2004

LOS ANGELES -- Los Angeles is changing the dates of its annual auto show - to the delight of the auto industry.

The show dates will shift from early January to November, beginning in 2006.

Show organizers made the change because the event has been eclipsed by the Detroit auto show, the most prestigious in North America.

The Los Angeles show has been held a week before the Detroit show.

Only five world vehicle debuts occurred at the 2004 Los Angeles show, compared with more than 40 in Detroit.

"Every single manufacturer has said to us, 'Change your dates because we want to do more things in L.A.,' " says Andy Fuzesi, general manager for the Los Angeles Auto Show. "We didn't go to June or July because the industry didn't want that. We decided on November because there are no auto shows in this country in late fall."

As a result, Los Angeles will have two shows in 2006. Press and public days for the 2006 show still will be in January. Press days for the 2007 show will be on Nov. 29 and 30, 2006, the week after Thanksgiving.

Each subsequent November show will have the designation of the following year. Press days for the 2008 show will be the week before Thanksgiving 2007, and the public days will go through Thanksgiving weekend.

General Motors, the only automaker to make world debuts at the 2004 Los Angeles show, is pleased with the change.

Full Article

·
Registered
308 Posts
Well; there goes my annual vacation plan, I usually arraigned to go to LA early part of January of each year just so I can visit famalies and the LA show for the past 20 or so years.

·
Editor
26,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by gmmerc5@Jun 21 2004, 07:43 AM
Well; there goes my annual vacation plan, I usually arraigned to go to LA early part of January of each year just so I can visit famalies and the LA show for the past 20 or so years.
Well, its not starting until 2006.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
It is definitely to get more sales. Because of it being so close to Detroit: when Detroit begins in the middle of the LA season, everyone flocks to Michigan instead of California.

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
That's nice! So around New Year's when the auto industry is all over the place, I'll still have my regular auto shows to watch...then comes that usual period of nothing and BAM! an auto show in November! Great! :D

·
Registered
640 Posts
This is a great idea. Spread them out.

Plus it could help the big three. They keep loosing market share out that way.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts