GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried one and it tasted like a ball of lard.
I tired one after listening to people rave about them and wanted to find out the reason behind the hysteria of their popularity. In fact, Jewel food stores in Illinois have sidelined their own brand of donuts and given a contract to Krispy Kremes.
My verdict.
The icing looks so thin and fake- the chocolate looks like a perfect circle. The rest of the donut-you might as well shove a spoonful of Krisco in your mouth.

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Originally posted by markform@Dec 18 2003, 09:05 AM
And people wonder why medical costs are so expensive.....
Ad they want me to pay for their medical costs through taxes and some form of HillaryCare, while they "can't help" themselves to another slice of pizza on the sofa watching Jerry Springer.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
first of all, let's keep insulting and derogatory (sp?) remarks off this board.

secondly, i personally like krispy kreme. but just because one person doesn't like something, doesn't mean everyone else has to not like it as well. am i over weight? i'm underweight actually. yet, i haven't gained a pound eating them. in fact, i'm trying to gain weight, but haven't been able too. :eek: maybe i need to eat more.

anyway, i like them. they're good. and eating habits alone don't contribute to overweightness. a lack of a physical lifestyle is a big factor. am i saying you should work out and jog and all? nope. just don't sit at your desk all day or in the car or on the sofa. my family comes from the middle of nowhere europe, on the farm, where they'd be given a slice of bread with lard spread on it. no one ever got fat because they were physically active. some may have had a few extra pounds, but nothing remotely excessive.

I also think it's something in the food (preservatives and all) that's to blame (to some extent), but that's another debate for another time.

·
Premium Member
12,307 Posts
Krispy Kreme donuts are tasty, especially when warm and fresh.
That's probably the big diffierence. Many times other donut places just aren't fresh enough.

Are they unhealthy? When not eaten in moderation, yes. But so is just about anything.

There are many contributing factors to being overweight. Not all overweight people are fat due to eating too much.

And without knowing the guy, you don't know if the wheelchair was solely due to his weight problem.

You really can't judge someone until you've walked in their shoes.

You are entitled not to like the taste or concept of Krispy Kreme donuts, but there is no need to get insulting about it or jumping to conclusions.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Originally posted by Rex Raider@Dec 18 2003, 05:27 PM
Krispy Kreme donuts are tasty, especially when warm and fresh.
That's probably the big diffierence.  Many times other donut places just aren't fresh enough.

Are they unhealthy?  When not eaten in moderation, yes.  But so is just about anything.

There are many contributing factors to being overweight.  Not all overweight people are fat due to eating too much.

And without knowing the guy, you don't know if the wheelchair was solely due to his weight problem.

You really can't judge someone until you've walked in their shoes.

You are entitled not to like the taste or concept of Krispy Kreme donuts, but there is no need to get insulting about it or jumping to conclusions.
Thanks REX.

Krispy Kremes taste different when they are hot off the conveyor, 30 sec. , 1 min , 5min. old, etc.

If you buy them out of a retail store, sure they taste like any other doughnut.

Fresh is the best. put one in the ol' microwave for 8 sec. and it's about 85%
what it is fresh.

*Disclaimer* Not for people who go into pancreatic shock.

Rex, you are correct. Once in a while is just fine.

I just wish I would have sunk $$$$$$ when they IPO'ed a few years ago......

Ken

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Boy, this thread is almost as volatile as the GTO stuff in the other forum.
My point is the fact that a product with no identifying uniqueness (just another greasy donut) is so popular.
No, a fatty diet is bad for you no matter how you look (obese or thin). More reports are linking fatty diets to cancer as well as heart related problems.
Yes, physical activity (like aspirin) is proving to be more beneficial as tests prove that it boosts the level of good cholesterol. And it is true that people are more sedentary. They walk less and are found to be more in a seat (whether a sofa or car) than moving about.

Bottomline-That was my first and last time to eat one. they stink.

·
Registered
922 Posts
MMMM... Krispy Kremes make people happy! :woot2: :woot2:
Oh yah by the way only 6'1" 185. ;)

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Originally posted by 69nova@Dec 18 2003, 11:59 AM
No, a fatty diet is bad for you no matter how you look (obese or thin). More reports are linking fatty diets to cancer as well as heart related problems.
Eating a Krispy Kreme from time to time does not signify a "fatty diet."

I'm just trying to argue because it's fun. Don't mind me. :)

·
Registered
4,723 Posts
Holy cow, you should have seen the debate that happened when Krispy Kreme came to Canada. See, we have a coffee and donut 'institution' here - Tim Horton's. It was started by former NHL star Tim Horton, who died in a crash in his Pantera. Anyway, the debate started, which is better KK or Horton's. Horton's are sweeter. I found the first KK a bit bland, but the are strangely addictive. Because they aren't as sweet, they tend to taste better when you eat more than one. Scary!

Now, in case this creates an image that I'm the comic book guy fron The Simpsons, I should add I normally eat a relatively health diet and stay active (I ride my bike about 80 - 110 miles a week in the summer). I do occasionally go on a junk food bender, though!

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
Yes, physical activity (like aspirin) is proving to be more beneficial as tests prove that it boosts the level of good cholesterol.
"You can't have -good- cholesterol without cholesterol."

A bite of wisdom from Ghrankenstein

Now, in case this creates an image that I'm the comic book guy fron The Simpsons, I should add I normally eat a relatively health diet and stay active (I ride my bike about 80 - 110 miles a week in the summer). I do occasionally go on a junk food bender, though!
That should provide adequate sustenance for the impromptu Dr. Who marathon.

Ghrankenstein

·
Registered
396 Posts
Originally posted by Tone@Dec 18 2003, 10:25 PM
Holy cow, you should have seen the debate that happened when Krispy Kreme came to Canada. See, we have a coffee and donut 'institution' here - Tim Horton's. It was started by former NHL star Tim Horton, who died in a crash in his Pantera. Anyway, the debate started, which is better KK or Horton's. Horton's are sweeter. I found the first KK a bit bland, but the are strangely addictive. Because they aren't as sweet, they tend to taste better when you eat more than one. Scary!

you from toronto, sonny, 'cuz them krispy kreme banditos opened up a new krispy kremes in the parking lot of scarborough town centre.

it's evil, i tells 'ya, evil!

oh yeah, timmy's aren't sweeter.

BTW, krispy kremes do have less fat, but a crap load more carbs than timmy's doughnuts.

·
Registered
830 Posts
I think Krispy Kremes have the same amount of calories and grams of fat as a Big Mac. Just think, when people eat donuts, they usually eat 2-3 at least. Can you imagine sitting down and eating 3 Big Macs at once? :eek:

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Originally posted by chev454ls@Dec 18 2003, 10:13 PM
I think Krispy Kremes have the same amount of calories and grams of fat as a Big Mac. Just think, when people eat donuts, they usually eat 2-3 at least. Can you imagine sitting down and eating 3 Big Macs at once? :eek:
yup. it's easy. i've done it before and will do so again. i can even eat 3 whoppers in one sitting. yet, i'm 6'2", 145lbs. :D

·
Premium Member
12,307 Posts
Krispy Kreme Donut (Original Glazed)
Calories: 200 (from fat: 110)
Total fat: 12grams
Carbohydrates: 22grams

Big Mac
Calories: 600 (from fat: 300)
Total fat: 33grams
Carbohydrates: 50grams

So, 3 Krispy Kreme = 1 Big Mac (roughly)

The facts are easy to find!

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
There was a case (last year?) where a dozen Frispy Kremes saved a fellow's life.
The guy's car broke down in the middle of a long stretch of deserted highway in the dead of winter. Seems he didn't check his oil level and the motor ground to a halt.
Fighting the bitter cold, he got this brilliant idea of taking the box of Krispy Kremes sitting on his seat and shoving them into the crankcase. The motor ran long enough to get him to a service station.
I think this news article was in the same edition of the World News that ran the headlines of Osama's marriage to Saddam (Saddam wore the veil).

Of course, this reply as well as this thread can be taken with a grain (not more, please) of salt.

·
Premium Member
12,307 Posts
Thst story can't possibly be true. There's no such thing as a dozen Krispy Kremes.
If the guy was driving alone in the desert he surely would have eaten one or two before his car problems started. :chef:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts