GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
6,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When do you say, its time? Assuming you have the financials, able to make the payments and live your life?

If you are an owner of an 04 Vette but realized if you had 'just waited' 6 more months to one year for the new C6, would you have? Why or why not?

(Realistically) If you needed a midsize sedan in 06-07 and bought a 07 Malibu/Aura but if you had 'just waited' 6more months to a year for an 08 Malibu...would you have?

Its a pickle and I want everyone's input why one way or the other. (Assume you *NEEDED* / required a car for work so waiting with no car isn't an option and don't currently have one to call your own...)

Would you buy a beater junker and drive it for a year or two to get the 'next gen' model or treat yourself to the greatest offered TODAY NOW not 2-5 years from now and get the car you desire though in the next two years it may be outclassed by a totally redesigned model (style wise....assume powertrain upgrades are near equal)?:confused:

Regards- CobaltSS

·
Registered
9,751 Posts
Well ask yourself this about your Cobalt:

Are you satisfied with the current Cobalt SS? Do you like the way it handles, sounds, the performance, the design? If you're really comfortable in the way all of those things come together to form the car and have the financial means, I'd say go for it.

Unless you buy a classic, the next car that comes out is ALWAYS going to be much, much better than the next. Look at the last-gen Escalade compared to the current (same with last-gen CTS vs. new CTS), they're barely even comparable!

You just need to make sure that you're content with what the Cobalt is today and assure yourself that you'll feel the same way even if another, more improved Cobalt comes around.

If this is about something totally different then my b.

·
Registered
7,419 Posts
This is what drives the new car industry. Insecurity about the newest toy out being better than yours. Do your analysis. Learn about the best times of the year to make a new purchase and allow yourself to enjoy your car.

Do not let "Something shinier is just around the corner." ruin your ownership experience.

·
Banned
8,969 Posts
I buy whenever I feel that the deal is decent or there is a need. I bought my truck when they had the $4000 rebate and my trade was right-side-up. IMO I got a good deal and was prepared for the big payments. We also started remodeling and I knew that the Taurus was not going to be practical bringing home sheetrock and 2x4's.

My wife's car was purchased simply because she wanted a new one. We got a decent deal on the car and Chrysler just came out with the unlimited powertrain warranty. She wanted the car so we bought it.

I'm not one for waiting around for a better deal or whatever. If I want it, I go and get it.

·
Registered
6,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well ask yourself this about your Cobalt:

Are you satisfied with the current Cobalt SS? Do you like the way it handles, sounds, the performance, the design? If you're really comfortable in the way all of those things come together to form the car and have the financial means, I'd say go for it.

Unless you buy a classic, the next car that comes out is ALWAYS going to be much, much better than the next. Look at the last-gen Escalade compared to the current (same with last-gen CTS vs. new CTS), they're barely even comparable!

You just need to make sure that you're content with what the Cobalt is today and assure yourself that you'll feel the same way even if another, more improved Cobalt comes around.

If this is about something totally different then my b.
good points to consider, thanks for advice:yup:

well just in general, somewhat r/t to Cobalt SS. Just talked to the rents, basically no point in carrying a 450$/month car-insurance payment to drive 3 days/week with minimal income. So...still figuring out what I'll be driving next school year. This summer I'll have the Bu:D and I'm goin to put some tints on it and prob. an intake:D (maybe a stereo? Haven't decided, maybe seats too...and *IF* I can get a deal on some 18's...?)

but school year might have a GMT800/900 truck, G6, GP, Bonne or a LeSabre to drive. Might have a used car, i don't really know...hell if things got funky I could buy an ecotec cavi, through an M62 on it and call it a day;) (of course upgrade the clutch too) and honestly I don't really care because here's where it gets interesting...

and I quote...

"Without a doubt, you can order a Turbo Cobalt SS in November. No worries, its built in November/december" and we can take delivery in mid March timeframe...so its settled:):yup:

but I want to find out what my options are...as cool as solstice coupe is, I'd rather have a Sky targa. and of course things could change but I'm getting some more information first before making a final decision.

2010 Camaro Z28? 30k? I could afford it during that timeframe and hopefully by pass outrageous dealer markups.

of course, I'm UBER excited for a Alpha Cadillac V-series and barring some outrage and compelling GM products otherwise, that'd be a great second car.

CobaltSS

·
Registered
6,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is what drives the new car industry. Insecurity about the newest toy out being better than yours. Do your analysis. Learn about the best times of the year to make a new purchase and allow yourself to enjoy your car.

Do not let "Something shinier is just around the corner." ruin your ownership experience.
Hmmm...more good points to consider. Well, its been posted on GMI the Delta II arch. roll-out plan and thats the only deterrant.

I LOVE the powertrain/chassis setup for the SS. Seats are great so are the three options I would get. Exterior styling is appealing if somewhat not 'cuting edge' dare I say dated but not in a bad way. Its just a nicely styled car with inoffensive roots, but some Projector HID Headlamps and some LED taillamps (of which I already have picked out) would dress the car up really nice and I like the new grille although the 05 SS Widebody concept would have been my preference. So that would keep me satisfied (maybe more than)

The interior is meh to me. I love the Black/silver combo especially with red door inserts and red/black seats, the layout is intuitive and ergonomical and straightforward but not CTS-like. Nothing wrong with it (minus somewhat grainy) but nothing 'earth shattering' either. Its the one part of the car I wish GM would have MCE'ed a little more, that and the front clip design.

The size is right, price is right, performance is right, its got 2 doors 4-5 seats and can be driven year round. Love the rims (would be nice if they were chrome, maybe an 09 option:D?;)) so its just a question I'm debating.

BY NO MEANS do I need to decide now, I have until November timeframe before "pulling my trigger for a car" but just wanted everyone's input with THEIR car buying experiences as well as advice GMI can offer me.

I don't really like the front clip styling of Camaro and though we haven't seen the production interior, the spy clips just don't do it for me (maybe its that 77 T/A interior being so great? idk...another story) but then again nor does our 02 Trans Am's either. ASTRA looks great but vastly underpowered. Aura on Epsilon two debuts when? Coupe version? Doubtful, so just trying to get a sense of things so I can make cents and sense of them in 8 months myself.

Again, good point. Thats my short-take analysis..I guess I just need to prioritize the pros and cons and values to me and decide, lol.

CobaltSS

·
Registered
9,751 Posts
good points to consider, thanks for advice:yup:

well just in general, somewhat r/t to Cobalt SS. Just talked to the rents, basically no point in carrying a 450$/month car-insurance payment to drive 3 days/week with minimal income. So...still figuring out what I'll be driving next school year. This summer I'll have the Bu:D and I'm goin to put some tints on it and prob. an intake:D (maybe a stereo? Haven't decided, maybe seats too...and *IF* I can get a deal on some 18's...?)

but school year might have a GMT800/900 truck, G6, GP, Bonne or a LeSabre to drive. Might have a used car, i don't really know...hell if things got funky I could buy an ecotec cavi, through an M62 on it and call it a day;) (of course upgrade the clutch too) and honestly I don't really care because here's where it gets interesting...

and I quote...

"Without a doubt, you can order a Turbo Cobalt SS in November. No worries, its built in November/december" and we can take delivery in mid March timeframe...so its settled:):yup:

but I want to find out what my options are...as cool as solstice coupe is, I'd rather have a Sky targa. and of course things could change but I'm getting some more information first before making a final decision.

2010 Camaro Z28? 30k? I could afford it during that timeframe and hopefully by pass outrageous dealer markups.

of course, I'm UBER excited for a Alpha Cadillac V-series and barring some outrage and compelling GM products otherwise, that'd be a great second car.

CobaltSS
So essentially, if you buy the SS now you'll only be driving it three or so days a week and STILL be paying a lot for insurance? If that's the case, I'd probably wait and save my money for an even better Cobalt (or hell, maybe you'll have enough money to go even more uplevel if you're into that).

Why buy your dream car only to have it sit out in your college parking lot (unless you guys have garages, I know the school I'm looking at has two) all week? Is that really how you'd want to treat the car that you've got so much respect for and paid (or your parents paid) so much money for?

I'd probably just get a cheap (but nice) mid-2000's car (like MY2005) so that you're not spending a ton of money on yet another car. But that's just me..

·
Registered
104 Posts
just lease your car or truck and get one when the new one comes out without harm or inequity. Remember to design your lease around your driving habits and you can enjoy life and afford to have your fun outside your vehicle.

·
Registered
7,267 Posts
Is finances an issue? Personally I'd hold out for the Camaro, hell its possible the LNF will find its way into the Camaro too. The Cobalt isn't bad, but even looking solely at just GM's offerings, there is better out there in the coming months.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
If there is something out there that I want, I do whatever I can to go and get it. I'm not sure who said it but "those who wait, get whats left by those that got there first". Yes waiting and having patience has its virtues, but there comes a point in time when you either **** or get off the pot.

Personally, I think you should buy a regular Cobalt and pump all the money you'd save into that 77 T/A. Then you'd have a commuter car and a play toy.

·
Registered
881 Posts
You mean like buying an SS/SC in August rather then waiting around 6 months (now) to find out about the new SS/TC that will be here in a few months or less. Shoulda, coulda, woulda but I was too impulsive. Wish I would have... I definitely will if I find myself in the same situation again.

*Goes off to kick himself*

·
Registered
8,945 Posts
Unless you buy a classic, the next car that comes out is ALWAYS going to be much, much better than the next.
Not true.

It was actually the OPPOSITE for a while (from ~1972 to the mid-eighties)... with the "next car" being less powerful, less appealing, and usually not as well built.

If we're in 1970 and you want to buy a Hemi musclecar, don't wait for the "much, much better" next generation.

If you listen to Lutz, we might actually be in a similar situation now (future = expensive gas, greener cars, restrictive fuel economy rules).

·
Registered
8,945 Posts
Main point to consider:

if he buys later, it means he's going to talk about his future purchase on these forums longer... With that in mind, what advice would you give??? ;)

·
Registered
903 Posts
(Realistically) If you needed a midsize sedan in 06-07 and bought a 07 Malibu/Aura but if you had 'just waited' 6more months to a year for an 08 Malibu...would you have?

Well in my defense the Malibu was only $14,000 vs. the $20,000 for a base 08 Malibu. I had to get it because I had no car because mine was totaled out. I probably could have found a similar deal on a comparable Fusion but time was just running out. Buyers regret...but then again, who doesn't have it?

That being said, this isn't really a bad car and it isn't slow at all. My biggest complaint about it is that the seats could be more comfortable.

·
Registered
9,751 Posts
Not true.

It was actually the OPPOSITE for a while (from ~1972 to the mid-eighties)... with the "next car" being less powerful, less appealing, and usually not as well built.

If we're in 1970 and you want to buy a Hemi musclecar, don't wait for the "much, much better" next generation.

If you listen to Lutz, we might actually be in a similar situation now (future = expensive gas, greener cars, restrictive fuel economy rules).
My point was that if one was to buy a '67 Chevelle or something today they wouldn't look at the '68 Chevelle and say "Aw man, I wish I had that option."

·
Registered
10,431 Posts
CobaltSS, you've got your heart set on the car of your namesake right?

If you can afford it, go for it!

Who knows? The Delta-II 'balt might suck wind...
It might also be the coolest car ever made.

One thing is for sure, the Turbo Cobalt doesn't suck at all. It's a sweet ride.

It might be more expensive to ensure, but that is often the price for a cool car. You are a car guy, CobaltSS. People will understand.

I thought you drove a Malibu Maxx?

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
If you applied this "wait and see" attitude to computers, you would drive yourself nuts. Every 6 months they are upgrading pc's. Regarding autos, I usually wait until the following year when a new model debuts. I am the person who keeps vehicles until the odometer hits 100,000 plus (the only exceptions being a 89 Ford Taurus that left me hitchhiking 4 times and a 79 Sunbird with that god awful Iron Duke which needed rebuilding every 50,000 miles) so I am not one to be emotional. What prompted me to buy the 04 Monte was GM's noting that the transmission is heavier duty in the supercharged model, the connecting rods were upgraded, the height of the vehicle was lowered 1". Also, Consumers' Reports gave the Impala and Monte excellent reviews for the 03-04 years. Now, I could have waited for the 06's with the nicer front end and V-8 but I am quite satisfied with the 04.
Now that my 89 Caravan is on its last legs (183,000 miles), I have been considering a replacement. Something like a Honda Element would be nice. Something that is no-nonsense that I can haul stuff around and is easy for my wife to get in (2 artificial knees). But I will wait to see what GM or Dodge (forget Ford- no luck with them) may come up with.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.