GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, my Taurus needs about $900 of work put into it. Since I've already put ~$1000 into it (in less than 2 years of owning it. I'd have put more cash into it if the front springs weren't covered by a recall), it's safe to say that I'm a little fed up with the car.

So today I started looking at new, or new-to-me cars. First up, the 2008 Chevy Aveo sedan. Notes:

-Surprisingly zippy and quick to downshift. Merging onto the freeway it started to run out of steam though.

-The interior not only looks very nice, it's roomy too. Two big guys in it, neither of us felt crowded or lacked leg or head room.

-The bottom seat cushions are too short. I'd also have liked to be able to raise the front of the cushion up a bit. It wouldn't be comfortable on long trips.

-Rides well for it's size. The route included some really rough sections of road.

-On the freeway it was jostled around a lot by the wind. It's tall profile probably didn't help.

-Back seats do fold down, however they don't make a flat floor. The backs of the seats are about 2" higher than the trunk floor.

-I'm glad they got rid of the maze shifter (auto).

-Lack of headroom in back seat, though plenty of legroom. I wouldn't be sitting back there anyway.

-No one-touch down feature on any of the power windows.

-I still can't get used to that front end.

Two other big things against the car:
-Poor performance in crash tests

-Poor gas mileage

I still have quite a few cars to test drive, including (but not limited too);
-Toyota Yaris, Corolla
-Scion xD
-Nissan Versa
-Hyundai Accent, Elantra
-Kia Rio, Spectra
-Honda Fit
-Ford Focus (I'm a bit unsure about Ford's)
And numerous used cars (I don't decide which used cars specifically, I wait to see what's on lots first).

·
Registered
4,820 Posts
Well, my Taurus needs about $900 of work put into it. Since I've already put ~$1000 into it (in less than 2 years of owning it. I'd have put more cash into it if the front springs weren't covered by a recall), it's safe to say that I'm a little fed up with the car.

So today I started looking at new, or new-to-me cars. First up, the 2008 Chevy Aveo sedan. Notes:

-Surprisingly zippy and quick to downshift. Merging onto the freeway it started to run out of steam though.

-The interior not only looks very nice, it's roomy too. Two big guys in it, neither of us felt crowded or lacked leg or head room.

-The bottom seat cushions are too short. I'd also have liked to be able to raise the front of the cushion up a bit. It wouldn't be comfortable on long trips.

-Rides well for it's size. The route included some really rough sections of road.

-On the freeway it was jostled around a lot by the wind. It's tall profile probably didn't help.

-Back seats do fold down, however they don't make a flat floor. The backs of the seats are about 2" higher than the trunk floor.

-I'm glad they got rid of the maze shifter (auto).

-Lack of headroom in back seat, though plenty of legroom. I wouldn't be sitting back there anyway.

-No one-touch down feature on any of the power windows.

-I still can't get used to that front end.

Two other big things against the car:
-Poor performance in crash tests

-Poor gas mileage

I still have quite a few cars to test drive, including (but not limited too);
-Toyota Yaris, Corolla
-Scion xD
-Nissan Versa
-Hyundai Accent, Elantra
-Kia Rio, Spectra
-Honda Fit
-Ford Focus (I'm a bit unsure about Ford's)
And numerous used cars (I don't decide which used cars specifically, I wait to see what's on lots first).
If the Corolla and Focus are on the list, why didn't you try out a Cobalt while at the Chevy dealer.

I know that (sadly) the interior is not as nice as the Aveo, but the Cobalt does get good fuel economy, many times I hear better then the Aveo.

I am averaging about 30 mpg's in 80/20 highway/city driving with my 2.0 supercharged 5-speed Cobalt.

·
Registered
11,071 Posts
In that size category, I'd say the Fit would be the best vehicle. But it's pricey. You can get in a bigger car, like a Cobalt, for the same money.

The Aveo's ancient tranny is what kills its MPG figs.

I've been seeing quite a lot of the new Accent 3-door hatches running about town. It's somewhat sportier looking than it seems in pics, and appears to offer good bang-for-the-buck.

Yaris is a good car, but I find it overpriced, like most Toyotas.

If styling and value-for-the-money were key factors, I'd narrow it down to Aveo, Accent, and Versa.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
I haven't heard much positives about the Yaris, but the Corolla is proven, sadly.

I would definitely look at the Cobalt and the Fit. Both are fantastic cars

·
Registered
5,986 Posts
tho a bit bigger than many of those you listed:
Mazda3

·
Registered
4,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If the Corolla and Focus are on the list, why didn't you try out a Cobalt while at the Chevy dealer.

I know that (sadly) the interior is not as nice as the Aveo, but the Cobalt does get good fuel economy, many times I hear better then the Aveo.

I am averaging about 30 mpg's in 80/20 highway/city driving with my 2.0 supercharged 5-speed Cobalt.
I've recently driven a Cobalt. Thus, I didn't need to drive one. I was also pressed for time.

Those are the cars I'm considering new. I'm not staying to strictly compact and below with used cars.

I wouldn't mind a Mazda3.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Personally, i would go with the Scion xD, or you might want to consider the xB.

·
Registered
903 Posts
I test drove the Fit as well (a top of the line model) and a few things I noticed were:

Very Underpowered- I was driving normally and my dad was in the car with me and he asked me why I was revving the engine so high. I said I was just driving normally.

Very small front end-Although it scores well enough and it absorbs most of the crash, if you look at the crash test pictures, I would think this transmits more of the impact to your body. On another note, I didn't like not being able to see the front of the car over the massive dashboard and tiny hood.

Little trunk space- Very small in the back, compared to the Cobalt

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
As the owner/driver of a 2005 Aveo LT Sedan I have to agree with the above review.

The interior of the new Aveo's looks a little better, but even my '05 has a decent interior for the price.

The gas mileage isn't anything to write home about. I average about 24/25mpg with 80% city driving.

Though I do find the new front end a HUGE improvement over my '05's.

Personally I never want a car this small again. Or this weak.

'09 and the Camaro can't come soon enough for me.

·
Banned
1,436 Posts
I say spend the $900 and continue to drive the much better Taurus to any Aveo.

·
Banned
1,436 Posts
I'll do better than that!

Huh?

Not sure I know what you mean, but I almost traded up my mid sized GM car for a small car...until I drove the small car. NO EFFIN WAY. On one hand I had a loaded car with premium leather and stereo, completely payed for mind you, and I was considering an econobox in it's place to save fuel. How dumb is that I ask. I would have to spend $16K to save a few hundred $ a year...all in a tiny death trap. I drive lots of highway miles, and the only thing those small cars are good for is short trips.

Nah, I spend $1200 to repair my car and enjoy it for another 2-3 years.

·
Registered
4,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Huh?

Not sure I know what you mean, but I almost traded up my mid sized GM car for a small car...until I drove the small car. NO EFFIN WAY. On one hand I had a loaded car with premium leather and stereo, completely payed for mind you, and I was considering an econobox in it's place to save fuel. How dumb is that I ask. I would have to spend $16K to save a few hundred $ a year...all in a tiny death trap. I drive lots of highway miles, and the only thing those small cars are good for is short trips.

Nah, I spend $1200 to repair my car and enjoy it for another 2-3 years.
I bought a newer Taurus with less miles and more features. Check the "member garage discussion" section, or search for "not a gm,"

·
Premium Member
4,637 Posts
I'd prefer the Astra or the HHR over the Aveo any day its not that the Aveo is a bad car its just that the astra and the HHR offer more features in a more stylish package

·
Registered
4,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'd prefer the Astra or the HHR over the Aveo any day its not that the Aveo is a bad car its just that the astra and the HHR offer more features in a more stylish package
And both are much more expensive.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts