GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like the chicken, but why is it so different from American KFC?

In the US, the chicken pieces are WAY bigger.

The selection is also WAY bigger.

You have tons of choices of "sides". We have fries. and 4 types of salad.

US KFC has biscuits, fries, mashed, mac&Cheese, etc....

KFC also serves different kinds of chicken, not just fried.

All kinds of change just by crossing the border.

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Sounds like the Wendys in Japan. The square meat that hangs over the sides of the bun in the US, dripping juices? Nowhere to be found. Stacked lettuce and tomato? Nope. Instead you get a little square of beef hidden away in a small bun, with a single pathetic piece of lettuce on it. And you have to pay out your butt for it.

Makes you learn to appreciate cheap Japanese eat-out food real fast. :p

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
our KFC used to sell rotiserie (sp?) chicken at one point. I guess no one really liked it.

Also, from what i've heard, they changed their name to "KFC" from "Kentucky Fried Chicken" for legal reasons. Again, from what I hear, they're using featherless chickens and for some reason, they can't legally call them chickens anymore. Anyone have any info on this?

One other thing, I'm not sure if this is dowe in Canada, but the chicken that we get in America is soaked in water. This is why you always see commercials/ads where they talk about how "big", "plump" and "juicey" the chicken is. All that it really is, is just water. And it's sold by weight, so we're paying extra for water. I know that this isn't done in Europe (at least most countries in Europe), and from what I hear, the chicken tastes better without the added water. I'm not sure if KFC does this, but I wouldn't be surprised.

One other thing, what a fast food resturant offers will change based on location. While I was in California, McDonalds had all sorts of extra things that the ones out in Chicago don't have. Just like, Chicago is one of 2 cities (maybe more now, but this was true in the 80's and early 90's at least) that had Shamrock shakes during St. Patricks Day. Reason being, Chicago was one of the few cities to have a large enough Irish population to make it worth it. It's all based on what sells in a particular area and what doesn't. You can get breakfast burrito's (at McDonalds) in the heavy Mexican areas of the US, but not the non-Mexican areas. If I want a breakfast burrito, I have to drive 30 miles to get one.

·
Premium Member
12,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There is no truth at ALL to the rumors of featherless, beakless, multi-legged chickens growing in a frankenstein style laboratory somewhere.

Kentucky Fried Chicken decided to change their name to KFC in 1991 for several reasons, none of which had anything to do with governmental regulations about mutant animals:

A move to de-emphasize "chicken" because KFC planned to offer a varied menu that included other types of food. (The Boston Chicken corporation took the same approach for the same reason, changing their name of their retail food outlets to Boston Market.)

A desire to eliminate the word "fried," which has negative connotations to the increasingly health-conscious consumer market.

A recent trend towards the abbreviation of long commercial titles, as demonstrated by other companies' employing shortened forms of their names, such as The International House of Pancakes (IHOP) and Howard Johnson's (HoJo).

Info is from , SNOPES a site that dispells all the rumors.

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
In Asia, McDonald's serves chicken in buckets (ala KFC), rice (LOL), noodles, sweet n sour soup, and all the other delicious Asian foods. Yup, McDonald's is very American! LOL

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Originally posted by Rex Raider@Apr 12 2004, 10:34 AM
There is no truth at ALL to the rumors of featherless, beakless, multi-legged chickens growing in a frankenstein style laboratory somewhere.

Kentucky Fried Chicken decided to change their name to KFC in 1991 for several reasons, none of which had anything to do with governmental regulations about mutant animals:

A move to de-emphasize "chicken" because KFC planned to offer a varied menu that included other types of food. (The Boston Chicken corporation took the same approach for the same reason, changing their name of their retail food outlets to Boston Market.)

A desire to eliminate the word "fried," which has negative connotations to the increasingly health-conscious consumer market.

A recent trend towards the abbreviation of long commercial titles, as demonstrated by other companies' employing shortened forms of their names, such as The International House of Pancakes (IHOP) and Howard Johnson's (HoJo).

Info is from , SNOPES a site that dispells all the rumors.
Ok, thanks for that. I didn't know wether to believe it or not, but thought i'd offer. :)

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Originally posted by Ming@Apr 12 2004, 10:16 AM
Sounds like the Wendys in Japan.  The square meat that hangs over the sides of the bun in the US, dripping juices?  Nowhere to be found.  Stacked lettuce and tomato?  Nope.  Instead you get a little square of beef hidden away in a small bun, with a single pathetic piece of lettuce on it.  And you have to pay out your butt for it.
**best old lady impersonation**-- "Where's the beef?"

oh- the irony

·
Premium Member
12,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
As much as I don't like cruelty to animals, those chickens are born and bred to be KILLED and EATEN.
I don't think that if they were raised in a pleasant environment with air conditioning, a color TV, and keys to a new GTO, their lives would be any better.
They'd still end up deep fried and tasty.

It's not the same as kicking a puppy.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I'm hungry now. :drevil:

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Originally posted by mackingu+Apr 13 2004, 07:54 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (mackingu @ Apr 13 2004, 07:54 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Rex Raider@Apr 12 2004, 04:34 PM
what was that about the chickens?

http://www.petatv.com/tvpopup/Prefs.asp?vi...kfc_cruelty_usa [/b][/quote]
PETA lost my respect (not that I had any for them to begin with) when one of their own people hit a deer while driving and tried to blame it on the peron(s)/company/whoever owned the land.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
While I dont respect PETA either, that's horrible that the only way those birds could eat were by that bottle/ device because their beaks were cut off. About the sick birds? That's only a couple of hundreds... ithappens... that feeding thing was what bothered me

·
Premium Member
12,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Originally posted by 69nova@Apr 15 2004, 05:12 PM
What! You Canucks want to grow up as obese as us Yanks? You want more fries and chicken rather than salads?
damn straight!

(At least give us the choice to be obese)

·
Registered
273 Posts
Rice? I can't stand rice. Eating 2000 of something at one time is just too much.

·
Premium Member
12,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I disagree.

KFC is only one of the problems.

McDonald's
Burger King
Wendy's
Arby's
Taco Bell
White Castle
Jack in The Box
In and Out Burger
Krispy Kreme

Sizzler
Ponderosa
(Anywhere else with an all you can eat salad bar that has more non-salad items than green stuff)

Oreo cookies
M&Ms
Pork Rinds
Cool Whip
Pop-Tarts

if KFC closed worldwide tomorrow, America would still be fat.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts