GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just went to Tahoe's post and I said what in the world? Why would someone want to compare the STS to 300C...Anyway, I would like to know

·
Registered
86 Posts
With unreliable Mercedes-Benzes and ugly and overly complicated BMWs, now is prime time for Cadillac to go after the European car buyers.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I think all these polls should wait untill the sts on the show room floor.
Also do you get a Green Hornet bobbly head with the 300c because when I see one that is what comes to mind
How can you compare 300c base price of (?)$32,000 cdn to STS base price of $70,000 CDN for a 04, and I do not think the new will be lower in price.

·
Editor
26,951 Posts
I think it will pull some German buyers. Since the STS is going to be sold world wide, it will have more competitors.

·
Premium Member
12,307 Posts
Why don't you see the 300c as competition for the STS?

They are both RWD.
Both V8.
Both the most expensive sedan by their respective companies.
They are similar in size.
They have similar options.

·
Editor
26,951 Posts
Originally posted by Rex Raider@Apr 20 2004, 05:35 AM
Why don't you see the 300c as competition for the STS?

They are both RWD.
Both V8.
Both the most expensive sedan by their respective companies.
They are similar in size.
They have similar options.
They are way too far apart in price! 300C--$32K STS with V8--$47K

I can't see someone looking at a 300C considering looking at a STS with about a $12K difference, and same with STS buyers.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I don't put Cadillac and Chrysler in the same category. Obviously the Chrysler brand is above the Dodge, but not up to the Cadillac. Not in my humble opinion.

·
Premium Member
12,307 Posts
Originally posted by nsap@Apr 20 2004, 07:41 AM
They are way too far apart in price! 300C--$32K STS with V8--$47K

I can't see someone looking at a 300C considering looking at a STS with about a $12K difference, and same with STS buyers.
Well then that won't be good for Cadillac.

I know that I would compare them, and when I see that the Cadillac crest alone costs $12000, that would make me think twice about buying it.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
There will be those people who will buy cadillac simply because of that fact, the $12 K difference won't mean **** all to them. Or the styling of the 300c will turn them off. Either way, the STS will sell. Personally I would go for the C but that's only because deep down I'm a DC man. GM has some great products but the 300c is a beautiful car, dont rag on me for saying that because it's just my opinion and I'm simply justifying my reasoning for why I would buy such a vehicle....anyway....good job GM, STS is beautiful

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
Cadillac ought to be sending Chris Bangle a big box of candy to say thanks for making the benchmark of the class, the BMW 5-series, so abysmally ugly that BMW intenders are going to hesitate committing to a 5-series just long enough to wonder: "What are the alternatives?"

Hence, I vote 5-series as being conquest territory for the STS.

The worry: Lexus has a new 5 meter car coming. Toyota has a way to getting it more right each generation. I saw it at the Chicago show. It's not bad looking. I fear the next GS will be where they really hit their stride.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Isn't Chylser more of a Buick competetor? That's what I consider them to be. Chrysler vs. Buick vs. Mercury. And Cadillac competes with Benz. Is Chyrsler trying to brake the mold? Out of the older gen. territory? I guess they did that with the Crossfire, and the PT Crusier. Chrysler is making my life more complitcated.

Back on the topic, I said that the STS will compete with Benz.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I was so surprised at the 5-series's numbers; it's way underpowered. I imagine it would feel huge because of it; after all, the GTP Grand Prix can beat it out. Just a random thought; if that were my price range (commence dreaming), I'd definitely go with the Northstar STS.

·
Registered
785 Posts
I would have to agree that the BMW interiors are horrible. When I sat in them at the auto show, they not only looked retarded but they looked CHEAP! No offence to special people but whoever designed these interiors needs help. The I Drive felt like a thin plastic knob off of a boom box at Wal-Mart. It might not be made of plastic, but whatever they use, is it suppose to mimic plastic? After waiting to sit in the 7 series since its introduction, I was only met with a seat that was placed as far forward as possible so no one would sit inside it, a slap in the face to everyone who took the time to go over to the BMW area, obviously compliments of the BMW staff at the show. I was still hoping for a "better in real life than in photos" experience. They couldn’t keep me out so I sat in it anyway, mused for a few minutes and after climbing back out and I do mean climbing, I should have told the representative that with its interior, no one would want to sit in it anyway. The 5 series was worse but I won’t bore you, just look at a pic. The Cadillac should not have any problems drawing buyers away from BMW if you ask me. I’m an Audi man myself and as most people who really like Audis might tell you, we like them even if they are unreliable, expensive and depreciate fast, we are just crazy like that, but Cadillac has way more style than the current lineup from BMW. Between the CTS, CTSV and this, Cadillac is redefined for the better. The Chrysler 300C is going to gobble up sales in the intro luxury group but it also may fill the needs of some would-be luxury buyers because of performance and size as mentioned earlier, if potential buyers can accept driving a Chrysler instead of a more revered luxury brand. It might play ball in this field because of those two attributes but its obviously not going to have the content that the extra tens of thousands of dollars allow more expensive players to have. Mercedes AMG series vehicles continue to impress even if the price tags are unreal. Great for things like that to exist but the more “affordable” models that will compete with the STS require a premium just to get into the seat anyway, maybe it’s the bad reputation for quality, maybe it’s because it has a three pointed star, I haven’t pinned it yet.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts