GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
Your car uses a "transponder" key.
It is programmed to the ignition switch. (to prevent theft)
Because you don't have another original key they will need to get your key code to cut another key.
Also they will have to hook your car to the Tech2 machine to program the new key to operate in your car.

That is why it seems so expensive..............
But IMO they are incorrectly overcharging you.
Try calling a few locksmiths for estimates.

A SMART owner would have a spare set of keys!
Then you have to do isbuy a "transponder" key blank for $15 bucks on line, have it cut at your local hardware
store for $2 bucks and program it yourself from simple instructions in your owners manual.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When I purchased the vehicle (used) from a dealer it came with keys that were copies. I never thought to ask for the key code, which I'll do in the in the future. I don't know how many generations removed from the original those keys are and now they aren't working to well. Instead of making another copy from those, I'd like to get one made from the code. I may end up taking the ignition cylinder out and retrieving the code from there if I can't find a reasonable alternative.

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
There is NO code to program those keys!
The transponder key is mated to the ignition cylinder.

If you already have spare cut transponder keys (that are not programmed) to your vehicle just take the key and the car to the dealer and they will hook it to the Tech2 machine and program it to your car. A locksmith may be able to do this also.

Do the spare keys you have turn the ignition lock but will not allow the car to start?

To tell if the spare keys you have are actual transponder keys:
Look at the key shank below the head and look for a circle with a cross in the center stamped into the shank.
View attachment 13585

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't have a problem starting the car, it's getting the key to turn. The locksmith said it's the key worn so bad, it's causing the problem. He cut a new key from it and it's having the same problem. That's why I need the code, so he can cut a key using it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
To save money, this is what I was told to do; Take your ignition lock cylinder out. You will see a flat metal piece on the lock cylinder itself, Its sort of wedged in there. Underneath the flat metal piece are the springs and tumblers. Each tumbler has a number on it. Starting from the tumbler closest to the key hole is the first number in the code. Should have 8 tumblers. May have to rub them clean, they get kinda dirty in there. But they WILL have numbers on each tumbler. Just take that number to your dealer or locksmith and have it cut. I think a key is about $20-$45. Just hold your finger on the ones you don't want to come out when you turn it over to make the tumblers fall out. If you mix the letters up, you'll never know. Believe me, I know from experience.. I was also told in some states dealers charge from free to $50 for the code. You have to appear in person with the title and drivers license.

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
Hello Kissmy_ss,

I can understand your concern of wanting to save some money while resolving your issue. More than that, I know that calling around price hunting is exhaustive. May I offer my assistance to contact several dealers in your area to see which has the best pricing? You can PM me your name, VIN #, address, phone and the name of the dealership you are working with. I can do the calling for you. I look forward to your response or the update on this issue.

Marlea Wilson
GM Customer Service

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hello Kissmy_ss,

I can understand your concern of wanting to save some money while resolving your issue. More than that, I know that calling around price hunting is exhaustive. May I offer my assistance to contact several dealers in your area to see which has the best pricing? You can PM me your name, VIN #, address, phone and the name of the dealership you are working with. I can do the calling for you. I look forward to your response or the update on this issue.

Marlea Wilson
GM Customer Service
Thx, pm sent

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
Well then the ignition switch cylinder is worn out!

Any locksmith should be able to change out the ignition lock with its supplied new key
in your driveway or at work with no issue and no trip to the dealer.
So still no code should be needed as new ignition switch/locks come with a new key.

Its still gonna cost $200..................

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well then the ignition switch cylinder is worn out!

Any locksmith should be able to change out the ignition lock with its supplied new key
in your driveway or at work with no issue and no trip to the dealer.
So still no code should be needed as new ignition switch/locks come with a new key.

Its still gonna cost $200..................
I can change the lock myself, the reason for the code is not to have two keys. One for the door/trunk and another for the ignition. The locksmith said the cylinder is good, it's the key that's worn and what sense does it make to make a duplicate of a worn key that doesn't work consistently. Also The key I have is a copy, I don't know if it's of the original or a copy.

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
Well then your gonna have to pay the dealer the price he wants.............

In my experience the ignition lock is worn out and a new key cut to the key code most likely won't work.

I just did a saturn after screwing around chasing down the key cut code (local selling dealer gave the code for FREE! My bud works there). I just changed out the lock and it was a PIA chisling on them anti-theft screws that held the lock in place!
The lock and key was $90 bucks.
The new key didn't work BTW...............

Good luck.......I hope u get it worked out

·
Registered
1 Posts
A reputable Locksmith shop has access to the codes and cutter sets to create a new key for you. The last time I had that done it cost about $20. for one key; this might be higher if you had one of the GM resistor keys.

·
Registered
1 Posts
How to get the key code without going to the dealer? They want $125 for the code and $150 for code with the key. Btw, I have an 05 impala.

I recently picked up two custom-cut keys on eBay for under $30 (f0r the two) using the key code I got from my Local Locksmith (you'll need to show them proof of ownership for them to give it to you), then bought a couple of used master keys for $50-70 each on eBay, transferred the electronic "guts" to the new keys, and programmed them myself. I was completely unfamiliar with this until now. It's surprisingly easy and surprisingly inexpensive!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had a master as well and broke the plastic. I took it to a local Locksmith and he sold me a new housing/key and made me two spares for about a hundred bucks. No sure how the valet key is different Other than it not being a fob.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts