1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Kerry Blasts Bush's Daytona 'Photo Op'

By NEDRA PICKLER, Associated Press Writer

WAUSAU, Wis. - A confident John Kerry (news - web sites) launched a full-throttle attack on President Bush (news - web sites)'s economic policies, mostly ignoring his Democratic rivals on the eve of the Wisconsin primary. Howard Dean (news - web sites)'s campaign shed another top manager and John Edwards (news - web sites) vowed to press on no matter how he fares Tuesday.

Kerry, who has a commanding lead in the race to oppose Bush this fall, chided the president for taking time out Sunday to attend the Daytona 500, saying the country was bleeding jobs while he posed for a "photo opportunity." Bush had donned a racing jacket to officially open NASCAR (news - web sites)'s most prestigious event in front of some 180,000 fans.

"We don't need a president who just says, `Gentlemen start your engines,'" Kerry said. "We need a president who says, `America, let's start our economy and put people back to work.'"

Kerry for the most part has chosen in recent days to aim his Campaign 2004 rhetoric directly at Bush as he has lapped his competitors, winning all but the South Carolina and Oklahoma delegate-selection contests.

His broadside against Bush came as the president argued anew against any rollback in the tax cuts that Congress has passed at his behest, and on a day in which Dean divulged the departure of national campaign chairman Steve Grossman.

For his part Edwards declared "there are differences" with his Democratic rivals and said he was confident his campaign was gaining momentum. He said he would remain in the race well into March and the Super Tuesday round of electoral faceoffs.

Dean told reporters: "Let me remind you all that I have more delegates than everybody else in this race except John Kerry. So I think the campaign obituaries that some of you are writing are a little bit misplaced."

Kerry's latest criticism of Bush came during a town hall meeting at Northcentral Technical College, where he toured the school's machine tool lab and posed for press pictures with students who engraved an 40-pound aluminum plaque with "Wisconsin Backs Kerry in 2004."

Full Article

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Kerry, who has a commanding lead in the race to oppose Bush this fall, chided the president for taking time out Sunday to attend the Daytona 500, saying the country was bleeding jobs while he posed for a "photo opportunity."
yeah, let's see Kerry work 24/7/365. I think if Kerry were to become president, and he took a day off, we need to say the same things to him. Even a president needs a break. and it was a sunday for crying out loud. wtf is wrong with taking a sunday off?

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
I kinda' like John Kerry, but this is really lame.

For gosh sakes, the President lands on an aircraft carrier after our guys** kicked Saddam's butt, and the cynics call it a "photo op". The President sneaks into Iraq and gives our guys** a shot in the arm in the middle of the Hell they're in, and the cynics call it a "photo op".

Now he can't even watch a live NASCAR event without someone calling it a "photo op".

While I wouldn't argue that there are no political benefits of doing such things, I also wouldn't immediately assume that the President's intentions are purely political. Maybe he actually thought that the guys** would love to see their Commander-in-Chief risk his life and show up for Thanksgiving dinner, (as it turns out, they did). Maybe he actually enjoys watching a live NASCAR event on a Sunday afternoon--I know I would.

Senator Kerry, you're a good guy and I think you would make a fine President whether or not I would give you my vote; but please, don't lower yourself to this kind of crap. :(

** For the PC-sensitive, that's "guys" as in men and women.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Well of course it was a photo-op, but I think it goes without saying. Why Kerry would say anything about it though is a good question. I would think we're all so used to seeing politicians do this kind of crap by now nobody would give it a second thought, so who cares?

I'm all for the Prez taking some time off, but man, this one sure does know how to take vacation. He's been on vacation almost as much as he's been in the office.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
I wouldn't wanna B the next guy in after Bush, UR gonna have 1 helluva mess 2 clean up and have the press chew ur *** all the way...Good Luck

·
Registered
396 Posts
Even if Kerry wins this year, we can still look for Hillary in '08. Lets be honest it was/is her intention to run in '08 and lets be honest again, its pretty safe to say she's going to make it in based on name alone.

As far as Kerry goes, I dont support him being from a UAW family and all, and the fact that he does not have a shred of sense as far as hybrids and the like go. I'd rather see Edwards get the nod if I had to vote for one, and I did in the Michigan primaries.

Kerry just bounces around too damn much in his policies both domestic and abroad. I do tend to agree with him on his statements about Bush at Daytona.

I look at it this way. Why should one President get a chance to "take a day off" when the problems at home are far and away more important (at least to his American people) then the problems that Iraqi's face today?

If things are not alright a home financally at home, do you take a day off to rest or watch Nascar when you could essentially be "working overtime" to ensure jobs stay in this country?

He has a point, this Pres could be doing a helluva lot more then just sitting on hs *** watching Nascar while jobs by the thousands leave this country everyday.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
wow- a big rolling of eyes from me. I would like to see a Democratic presidential candidate who focuses on solutions instead of pointing fingers-- not that I would likely vote for them-- but it would be nice to see some half-way decent person running on the Democratic presidential ticket. I applaud Bush for taking interest in a wonderful American sport. He's one of us-- he doesn't try to be a king, but rather the democratically elected president of a republic-- exactly what he's supposed to be. And, by attending Daytona, he's doing what he needs to be doing-- promoting consumer spending. The economy isn't going to see revival by pushing more papers-- the work has been done- it's time to watch economic principles work in the real world now.

The economy started to dive during the end of Clinton's presidency. It was gaining ground before 9-11-- it is starting to pick back up now. Anyone who understands economic principles knows that jobs won't necessarily appear instantly after an economic upturn. But, an economic upturn will eventually bring more job opportunities. Shame on Kerry for making issue out of something that shouldn't be such an issue-- for grasping onto votes of less-educated Americans by using bad science.

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
Let me rattle on for a bit.
We tend to blame the politicians for where we falter as a populace. Neither the Democarats nor Republicans can be blamed for jobs moving out of the country. This had started in the 50's with the textile industry, continued with the raw metals such as steel, worked its way into machine tools and now the information services are being farmed out. The last time that I saw anybody take a stand where the unions who pushed for American products- I remember the bumper stickers.
Easy bonuses for top execs fueled by Americans not giving a crap where the product (or service) is provided top the list of guilty parties.

In contrast, Korean farmers rioted over foods being imported from Chile. Go to a local store (Chicago area)and you'll find that the grapes are imported from Chile as well as other fruits. No rioting here.
Mexicans have started a "Mexico only" boycott of products manufactured outside of their country.
These 2 countries are big exporters to the US (Mexico a member of NAFTA) yet they are vehemently against imports to their country.

Regarding Kerry's platform, I await his plan of action to judge him. Merely saying that jobs are leaving the country isn't enough. We all know that. The exploding deficit is bad. We all know that. So, what do we do? I don't think that tax incentives will work-it is like bailing out a leaky boat. Fix the leak. Maybe tariffs should be in order but, in this regard, the US is so deeply dependent upon other countries, it doesn't have the leverage as in past years. Example-the European Unions threat to place tariffs on the small amount of imported US goods stopped Bush in his tracks to place a tariff on steel (I think that this was the product) being supposedly dumped. It may also have been the auto industry pressuring for cheaper steel- a point of debate.

Regarding Kerry bringing up his military record, being an officer in the army (69-72) and serving my country, I do not see this as a big plus or a big minus. People forget that there were not too many men that lined up to go in the 60's. If you went, you went. My buddies and brothers looked at me with that "man!" in their eyes. Kerry also forgets that the army reserve and National Guard (When on active duty, I called them weekend warriors too. But not out of disdain but more out of tweaking like I do to the GTO guys) is the back bone of the military ready to supply the majority of manpower. Military service cannot be the sole factor- we have had good generals who made weak presidents. If somebody also would ask me if I preferred a draft for all citizens or a volunteer army, I would ride the fence that the volunteer army probably has a better profile of manpower. They can get rid of the poor performers and be selective. But a draft keeps the US's policies in the living rooms of every family. But everybody knows this.

As far as photo ops go, whoever is the president, that person is watched night and day. And I do applaud him for his trip to Iraq since he could have phot op'd in a less hazardous way.

I'm done.

·
Registered
4,519 Posts
Originally posted by Ming@Feb 16 2004, 11:24 PM
"We don't need a president who just says, `Gentlemen start your engines,'" Kerry said. "We need a president who says, `America, let's start our economy and put people back to work.'"
I do like that line, even though I have no problem with the president going to a race.

I've tended to lean Republican, but the employment isses will be better handled with a democrat in the oval office. What's good for big business in the short-term is to move alot of skilled (and unskilled) labor overseas to reap the benefits of low-cost labor. They have to do it, or their competition will. Unfortunately, it's a "robbing Peter to pay Paul" scenario that must be controlled. I hate the notion of big government, but we've gotta control the flood gates and only the government can do it. Although I like the guy, Bush won't do what's gotta be done. He's done nothing in four years to truly stimulate the economy from its core. Little tax cuts are a band aid, not a solution. And they're not even a very good band aid. There will be no recovery under the current set of circumstances. It's not just about balance of trade anymore. For the first time in our history, we're losing skilled jobs to lower-bidding foreign countries such as India. They are leaving the U.S. by the boatload. Today's scenario is not simply "more of the same"; it's a much more ominous picture. You think the loss of our manufacturing base is a problem, with unskilled factory jobs moving to Mexico and China? Ha. You ain't seen nothing yet.

India could replace every Amercian professional with a $5 an hour equivalent, and China could replace every American factory worker with a $1 and hour equivalent, and they'd STILL have almost two billion people out of work. I've never been protectionist until now. In the long run, globalization is a good thing, but the U.S. has alot to lose until developing nations have established their own markets and economies. The Bush administration is OK with opening all the doors and windows of a warm house on a bitterly cold winter day. Ain't gonna work, I feel our house getting quite chilly. We've gotta gradually open one window at a time, very slowly, until spring approaches and it's as warm outside as it is inside. Only then can we open up all the way.

We've developed our economy over the past 100 years and created a standard of living for ourselves. Damn sure shouldn't just hand over the farm at harvest time.

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
Wow, I'm still waiting for this topic to explode and descend into hyperbole and hate-talk. I guess we GMI-sters deserve a pat on the back for being able to discuss this without going haywire like the rest of the country typically does during election season.

...can't reach my back. Will go ask my wife to do it for me. Uh, you can all go now. :D

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
Regarding markets and manufacturing, we must look inwards- at ourselves as a country. The other countries are doing the same which is normal for them.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
For those of you who do not live in the Northeast I will give you John Kerry in profile. HATES V-8's or any kind of performence engine. Will raise CAFE standards especially on trucks. Will raise Federal Taxes on gasoline and has already proposed that, look up his record. Wants EVERYONE driving a Toyota Pirus. Makes Ted Kennedy look like a conservative. Always talking the WORKINGMANS game but has more money then Bill Gates and acts like he does. If you work for the American auto industry and vote for him kiss your job goodbye. Everyone in Japan is rooting for him to win. Up here his nickname is LIVE SHOT. He would lie to his mother to get elected to anything. Wait till most of you who know nothing about him are really introduced to him during the campaigne for President. Also, please don't bring up the Vietnam bullbleep. I went to Nam, SO WHAT, that was 30 years ago, lets deal with the real world of 2004. He talks about jobs moving overseas? Why did he vote for NAFTA? Look I have my problems with Bush but Kerry is a FRAUD. Just wait till your introduced to the real J. Kerry.

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
Originally posted by yoblues@Feb 19 2004, 03:14 PM
Will raise CAFE standards especially on trucks.  Will raise Federal Taxes on gasoline and has already proposed that, look up his record.  Wants EVERYONE driving a Toyota Pirus. Makes Ted Kennedy look like a conservative.  Always talking the WORKINGMANS game but has more money then Bill Gates and acts like he does.
First of all, I want to say up front that I'm not a Kerry guy--I like the leadership we have now given the global state of affairs.

But having said that, I think it would be unfair to label John Kerry a Ted Kennedy liberal. Based on his Senate voting record, he appears to be more of a pragmatist like Bill Clinton, making decisions based on whatever is popular at the time.

People used to criticize Bill Clinton for being on both sides of every issue like that, but I always thought it was a good thing that a President represented the will of the people, even as people change their minds every five minutes.

I also like leaders that stick to their principles and lead that way, much like Reagan did, and now like George Bush has been doing, (well, with a few exceptions).

Both are attributes of good leadership, IMO.

I'm just glad Dean is out. I can live with a stubborn hawk like Bush or a waffling pragmatist like Kerry, but I truly believe Dean doesn't have all his marbles. :rudolph:

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
COOLCADDY. Sorry, I have been exposed to Kerry. FRAUD FRAUD FRAUD. Just wait till the campaigne really starts and you get introduced to the REAL J. KERRY as we know him up here. FRAUD FRAUD FRAUD. Just in case you were wondering, I was a supporter of Joe Lieberman until he dropped out of the race and I will not vote for Kerry. The AFL/CIO just endorsed a person, Kerry, who basically hates almost every vehicle Detroit produces. I think the Union Workers, who I support, in Detroit, have a problem with their leadership endorsing this clown. They want you to indorse a person who wants to shut down most of the vehicles you build. What am I not getting?

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
Originally posted by yoblues@Feb 19 2004, 04:14 PM
Just in case you were wondering, I was a supporter of Joe Lieberman until he dropped out of the race and I will not vote for Kerry.
Unlike Dean, I was sorry to see Lieberman go. Put his brain in John Edwards's body, and he would have been unstoppable.

Regarding Kerry, well, maybe I'll change my tune once the Presidential campaign shifts into high gear and all the bad stuff comes out. Either way, I'll be in the voting booth this November chalking one up for Bush; but at this point, I'm not losing much sleep over the prospect of a President Kerry.

·
Registered
4,519 Posts
Gotta say, as I'm here watching a Bush speech on TV.. if I visited the polls today, he couldn't get my vote. I like his tough stance on terrorism and down-to-earth demeanor. But on the economy he's a big dunce.

Even in light of jobs moving to Asia by the thousand, all he can say is "give my tax cut time to work." You can always get a sense if a plan is right when you multiply it's basis and reassess. If we cut the remaining job count in half, and cut the tax liability of remaining workers in half ... which is impossible because the tax base has now shrunk with fewer workers ... is this sustainable? NO. Even business tax cuts don't encourage employers to hire more American workers because they can save even more moola by going overseas. It's the American way. And as a tradeoff to tax cuts, we lose the things our taxes pay for and the deficit grows in a staggering fashion.

Bush is putting a band aid on a bullet wound. Even in an election year, his plan for the economy sucks. He won't win, because the stuff causing the economic recovery to remain jobless won't be remedied by tax cuts. It's gonna get worse.

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
Originally posted by desmo9@Feb 19 2004, 07:00 PM
Even in light of jobs moving to Asia by the thousand, all he can say is "give my tax cut time to work."  You can always get a sense if a plan is right when you multiply it's basis and reassess. If we cut the remaining job count in half, and cut the tax liability of remaining workers in half ... which is impossible because the tax base has now shrunk with fewer workers ... is this sustainable? NO. Even business tax cuts don't encourage employers to hire more American workers because they can save even more moola by going overseas.

Bush is putting a band aid on a bullet wound. Even in an election year, his plan for the economy sucks. He won't win, because the stuff causing the economic recovery to remain jobless won't be remedied by tax cuts. It's gonna get worse.
:huh: Worse? I didn't know things were so bad. Guess I'd better go hide in the sand until the crisis blows over. :rolleyes:

I wasn't a fan of wartime tax cuts, and I agree with you that it is unrealistic to expect a tax cutting policy to be a sustainable one; but it's equally unrealistic and unfair (not to mention self-defeating) to say that things are so bad right now.

Even the jobs picture--one of the few remaining weak spots in this economy--http://biz.yahoo.com/rb/040219/economy_7.html]is moving in the right direction[/url].

In my field of work (IT), I keep hearing how horrible this whole outsourcing thing really is, and how much I'm supposed to despise the President and big greedy corporations for it. In fact, many many more folks in IT lost jobs over the dot-com implosion than being displaced by outsourcing. The whole "outsourcing crisis", while potentially serious, is at the moment an election year red herring.

Look, this is an election year, so Democrats are going to tell us that the economy sucks and Republicans are going to tell us that it's the greatest it has ever been. The truth is, things aren't as good as they were when Clinton left, but they're awfully darn good considering 9/11, Iraq, and Enron et al.

So, be encouraged and don't let politicians get you down. In the end, those who succeed will do so in spite of what the politicians tell us about how great or how bad our economy is supposed to be, and how ticked off or how happy we're supposed to be just because they said so.

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The whole "all our jobs are going to India" thing reminds me of the impending takeover of all of corporate America by Japan in the 1980's... :p It's a great way to sell a book or an article, but I don't think it is going to affect us in such a negative or massive way. No one complains anymore that their DVD player only costs 30 bucks at WalMart, and those ultra-cheap onese are Chinese designed now. If we left everything up to protectionism and Unions, we'd still be paying 300 dollars for one.

On the other hand, I don't think companies that are hireing a majority of workers overseas should be given any kind of corporate tax breaks (corporate welfare). There is no reason to use my tax money to subsidize Dell computer if 55% of their new hires are in China and India. <_<

·
Registered
4,519 Posts
Go look at the headline just posted on the homepage of this forum, about contractual white-collar workers getting displaced by Indian workers. "Contracts" are the easiest to replace, so they're going first. Second in line will be people lining up for work for a new job out of college. Ask yourself... jobless "recovery" in an election year? The numbers are there, this is not some ploy by the democrats. Red herring you think?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts