GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
36,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quite a stir here about Sergio, Jeeps, and jobs.

Now that it’s hinted at a potential exit from Toledo, Chrysler should be transparent with Toledoans about what incentives it would want to keep Wrangler production here. Such candor could drum up political support among Toledoans who are deeply invested in Jeep.

Mr. Marchionne has stated that even if Wrangler production is relocated, Chrysler’s number of jobs in Toledo would remain unchanged. But it’s unclear where those jobs would come from. The consistently strong sales of the iconic Wrangler are not guaranteed for Jeep’s other models.

Jeep’s legacy in Toledo is not just a slogan. The relationship has a lot of unrealized potential to raise revenue for both Chrysler and the city.

Several weeks a year, Chrysler could offer tours of the Jeep plant and even an exhibit of vintage Jeeps, which would be enjoyed both by the general public and Jeep’s devout customer base. It could host a version of Camp Jeep, its lucrative off-road driving program for Jeep owners, at the Toledo Assembly site.

Read more at http://www.toledoblade.com/Editorials/2014/11/01/Keep-Jeep.html#bCSfQfqRme83vEBA.99

http://www.toledoblade.com/Editorials/2014/11/01/Keep-Jeep.html

·
Registered
19,262 Posts
First let me say that I hope that they do keep the production in Toledo and minimally keep it in the USA. There is a trained workforce and people with families & mortgages, why mess with it to save a couple of bucks and try to rob the taxpayer of more $$ to keep the plant there.

But I think Toledo and the author of the editorial overestimate the value of the production in Toledo. I don't think many people know or care about the history of producing Jeeps in Toledo. They may care that they are American made (and most don't even care about that), but I've never heard anyone mention Toledo in the iconic way Germany is mentioned with BMW, Merc and Audi (and many aren't even made in Germany). I'm not trying to be a jerk, but it's the cold, cruel reality that no one cares except for Toledo and a few diehard Jeep enthusiasts.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Chrysler doesn't have the money to build a new plant for the new JL Wrangler. The best option, that I'm aware of, that they have is to build a facility next to the existing plant to handle the new aluminum manufacturing process.

Sergio the Great cannot afford to shut down the current Wrangler line for many months to clean, refurbish, and re-tool the existing facility either. It's one of the bright spots keeping the lights on at Fiat... :rolleyes:

Toledo should annex the land adjacent to the current facility, which they did if I remember correctly, and work something out that benefits the city and the company. I really believe that Toledo has the upper hand here.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Someone remind me why the US and Canadian Government gave away Chrysler to the Italians
Chrysler was, and to a certain extent still is, a hot potato.

·
Premium Member
36,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A bankrupt company with debts greater than assets has negative value - if Fiat bought Chrysler for $1 that's a profit for the receiver. It was more than anyone else was prepared to pay.

Just do the math.
So why didn't some of us at GMI buy it for two bucks? We'd have had that baby hitting on all eight long ago!!!! :drive::drive:

·
Premium Member
36,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'll up the bidding to $3 myself!
You should up it to three bucks. You just ordered one!

Now, if Jeep wants Toledo to make sense to anyone outside of fitty miles away, they need to make this a "Save Klinger's Jeep Factory!" effort so everyone else knows what they're talking about.

Reactions: kmacleod
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.