GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In a recent Autoweek article profiling the Kappa platform that underpins the Pontiac Solstice, it was revealed that the Kappa platform is far more adaptable than previously thought.

According to the article, "GM is already making it clear that the highly adaptable Kappa will spawn a string of sporty models, on a chassis that can be shortened, lengthened, widened or raised, and built as a convertible or with a fixed roof, depending on the need."

Perhaps the notion of a V8 powered variant of a Kappa-based car (Solstice? Nomad? Future Camaro?) may at least be possible.

See - http://autoweek.com/cat_content.mv?port_co...t_code=07450316

·
Registered
164 Posts
I DON'T think that Buick should get a Kappa coupe. Buick have done it nice with the Lacrosse and now need a Lexus convertible competitor. Kappa is not for Buick, Buick needs something RWD to be flashier and cause
"HYPE" for the Buick brand. Buick is suppose to unveil a convertible concept at the NY Auto Show which they say is equal parts of Lexus SC 430 and Mercedes Benz CLK-Class

WOW, Buick is aiming higher, I like it :D :D

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Originally posted by babershah@Feb 3 2004, 01:52 AM
I DON'T think that Buick should get a Kappa coupe. Buick have done it nice with the Lacrosse and now need a Lexus convertible competitor. Kappa is not for Buick, Buick needs something RWD to be flashier and cause
"HYPE" for the Buick brand. Buick is suppose to unveil a convertible concept at the NY Auto Show which they say is equal parts of Lexus SC 430 and Mercedes Benz CLK-Class

ahhhhh you do know that the kappa is RWD??
It would be nice for the Camaro to be built off a large kappa, and the GTO and Chevelle to be built off a sigma-lite.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
there isn't going to be no chevelle!
if a 2 door 4 places rwd is coming out, it will be the 5th gen camaro.

·
Registered
55 Posts
"Begging the question" is the English translation of "petitio principii" (Latin). Defined by H. W. Fowler in "Modern English Usage" (2nd ed., 1965) as "the fallacy of founding a conclusion on a basis that as much needs to be proved as the conclusion itself. Arguing in a circle is a common variety of petitio principii."

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
everything OK
but I still hate GM's policy

Pontiac in the States
Vauxhall in the UK etc.

I would like to see a Pontiac dealership in my country and have the possibility to buy a solstice(best looking kappa car)
not a Fiat or Opel

CAN'T THEY CREATE A GLOBAL BRAND????

:pain:

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
Originally posted by babershah@Feb 2 2004, 08:52 PM

A rear-wheel drive Buick convertible (not based on Kappa) is already in GM's schedule.

·
Registered
8,853 Posts
Oh no, they said it: the platform can be elongated and widened. I can see it now, *another* sport utility to be shared by all 70 divisions of GM! :lol:

Actually, this (new Kappa products) is great news. I'm glad that there may be more sporty, economical, high-quality cars coming from the General. This can only be good for their image.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Originally posted by jasonellis@Feb 3 2004, 04:50 PM
Does GM have any plans to build a smaller, more affordable, Cadillac Roadster from the Kappa architecture?
Not as a Caddy. GM is trying to move Cadillac upmarket. Affordable is not a focal point of Cadillac at all. Also note that this architecture was designed to be flexible. the other variations on it might be a 2+2 coupe or a 2 seater coupe. I expect they dont want too many roadsters to dilute the market. Given all this, the main contenders for Kappa are Chevy, Saturn, and MAYBE Buick.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sorry I don't talk much but this title sorta through me...

Kinda from I think either a MadTV or SNL

"Kappa Kappa Kappa: GM Plans a Frat House..."

.. That frat house's letters are KKK (booooo!).... hmmm...

Sorry, I'll go away now... just made me laugh

·
Registered
17 Posts
I really think that a Z4 sized roadster for Cadillac would do wonders in gaining the interest of younger generations. Does anyone agree with me?

·
Registered
685 Posts
Certainly. However, it should be a $35K+, maybe $40K car and be set apart from anything else on the Kappa, IMO.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
If the Trailblazer is an example of how well a GM platform can scale up, I'd rather see the Kappa platform stay small and tight. The EXT versions of the Trailblazer platform and the SSR have all be knocked down for their poor body structure while the regular wheelbase Trailblazer was praised.

Mark

·
Registered
4,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Originally posted by jasonellis@Feb 3 2004, 11:56 AM
I really think that a Z4 sized roadster for Cadillac would do wonders in gaining the interest of younger generations. Does anyone agree with me?
Not for Cadillac IMHO. Unlike BMW, GM has a bunch of other divisions with which to attract younger buyers. If it gets its brands and marketing straight, it should be able to "graduate" those buyers onto Cadillac when the time comes.

I think that positioning the Solstice as a Z4 fighter for much less money is a much better strategy in the long run. This will mean additional high performance models, of course, but that can only strengthen the Pontiac brand.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Unfortunately, the Pontiac Solstice will not be alternative to a BMW Z4. I am a GM guy all the way, but Pontiac engineering is below par.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts