GM Inside News Forum banner

Kappa Architecture

913 views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  yoblues 
#1 ·
I think GM did it. It's all in the new platforms stupid. I am looking at the Solstice, Nomad (my favorite) and the Curve and whatever else and I see a RWD platform coupled with the Delta platform (Cobalt and whatever) that can blow away the Japaneese, Germans and everyone else. I see a Saab, Malibu, Pontiac, Buick on the same platform. I see an RWD large car platform in the future. Caddy is on a roll. Talk about nukeing your opposition. If GM keeps this up the 75-2000 period will just be a bad memory and young people in the future will say, WHAT WAS A HONDA? Go GM.

#2 ·
Pontiac's got a Kappa.
Saab's already working on a Kappa... maybe as the 9-X.
There's talk about Opel using a Kappa.
Cadillac can use the Kappa to compete with SLK/Z4.
I don't know if Saturn can use a Kappa in their lineup, but it would be a refreshing change from their current lineup.
Buick can use Kappa to revive the Riviera. But that's sketchy.
Chevy could use a Kappa... maybe in Sport-wagon format?
And I'm sure Holden could use one too.
I guess the only platfor that can't use the Kappa is GMC. :huh:

GM can take the Kappa pretty far. :laughbounce:

#5 ·
Originally posted by Josh O@Jan 8 2004, 11:43 PM
Hummer may be using Kappa as well, and the Curve is confirmed for production.

Cadillac wont use it, they are going upmarket, not down. Chevy wont get a kappa. Also the Kappa can only fit the ecotec engine.
LOL... a Hummer Kappa. :lol:

Cadillac could use it. it would have to be a modified Kappa. I don't know the dimensions of Kappa when comared to SLK or the Z4, even the TT. But say.. a Cadillac Kappa at $29K could steal market from SLK and Z4 and TT. Not to mention Caddy Kappa-V.
I'm sure the engine bay is tiny... but who would have thought an LS1 would fit in a CTS bay??

Just saying Cadillac doesn't compete with those mini-roadsers from Merc and BMW and even Audi. They're not exactly "down market" not like a 1-series or A-class.

#6 ·
Originally posted by Josh O@Jan 8 2004, 10:43 PM

Cadillac wont use it, they are going upmarket, not down. Chevy wont get a kappa. Also the Kappa can only fit the ecotec engine.
Just because it would be a smaller Caddy certainly doesn't mean down-market... Actually most import luxury's already have one, so it only seems natural for Caddy to get one, if they stay with there "Standard of The World" goal...

#7 ·
Originally posted by Josh O@Jan 9 2004, 04:43 AM

A kappa for hummer? WTF? Maybe to make a power wheels version of the H1? What could you possibly make for hummer using a RWD only, IRS roadster chassis? Hummers first sports car? Would you want to drive in a sports car from hummer?

Caddy getting one is very easy to see. Im sure a 60* V6 could fit in there or just make the 2.4 standard and teh V series gets a large blower pushing 260hp? Like the KLR concept rex made down in the concpet board, that looked sweet.

and if GM could just bring sig lite here to the US it would make me a much happier man.

#9 ·
Mr Pringle. Yes I am positive. Before I die I want GM but especially Chevy to be back where it was 35/40 years ago. ON TOP. My complaint was always with the GM Suits. No matter the endeavor it's always about leadership. You have people on top that know what they are about and any organization prospers. If you have crap bags who's only objective is collecting fat paychecks and pensions and not making waves, you eventually get crap for a product. GM has had far to many of the latter in upper management the last quater century. All it took was a little vision at the top and the hiring of a 72 year old car guy to light a fire under peoples asses and look whats happening at GM. It's all about leadership and GM finally found some.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.