1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
Wow, I was expecting a sooner launch of the new LaCrosse. I was hopeing this had something to do with the Riviera.

·
Registered
13,337 Posts
Wow, I was expecting a sooner launch of the new LaCrosse. I was hopeing this had something to do with the Riviera.
I feel that if Buick does not build the Riviera and soon, they have GM's classic corporate death wish.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Historically, large coupes have not done well in the US since the 1980s. The Lincoln Mark VIII, Thunderbird, Eldorado, Grand Prix coupe, and even the Riviera all died due to lack of demand. When things are more prosperous, people get a little more confident with their spending, but the way things are now, there's no way a large coupe would be a big seller of any kind. Sales volumes of the Mercedes CL, BMW 6, and the dieing Lexus SC430 are most likely very small.

The only way that a car like the Riviera could justify its existence would be to come exclusively as a hardtop convertible with 4 true seats. If they could parts-share the LaCrosse into this, it might work as a replacement for the G6 hardtop 'vert. These types of cars are often seen as must-have halo vehicles, especially with empty nesters and women who want a nice luxury convertible, not a cramped roadster, not a muscle/pony car, but a decently priced open air car. I could see Buick winning a lot of sales if they priced it between $30-45K. It would also make a nice flagship for Buick. None of that matters of course, if GM doesn't have the money to develop a Riviera...

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
Historically, large coupes have not done well in the US since the 1980s. The Lincoln Mark VIII, Thunderbird, Eldorado, Grand Prix coupe, and even the Riviera all died due to lack of demand. When things are more prosperous, people get a little more confident with their spending, but the way things are now, there's no way a large coupe would be a big seller of any kind. Sales volumes of the Mercedes CL, BMW 6, and the dieing Lexus SC430 are most likely very small.

The only way that a car like the Riviera could justify its existence would be to come exclusively as a hardtop convertible with 4 true seats. If they could parts-share the LaCrosse into this, it might work as a replacement for the G6 hardtop 'vert. These types of cars are often seen as must-have halo vehicles, especially with empty nesters and women who want a nice luxury convertible, not a cramped roadster, not a muscle/pony car, but a decently priced open air car. I could see Buick winning a lot of sales if they priced it between $30-45K. It would also make a nice flagship for Buick. None of that matters of course, if GM doesn't have the money to develop a Riviera...
Back when Chrysler was in trouble the first time around they did the Viper to show that the company is alive and going forward. The Riviera could do the same for Buick.

·
Registered
7,418 Posts
The Aura will go away in about a year from now?

Where will they produce the next Aura?

·
Editor
26,951 Posts
The Aura will go away in about a year from now?

Where will they produce the next Aura?
At the moment it sounds like Oshawa will get the Aura. Oshawa will also likely get the Regal (Buick badged Insignia), which will be for Canada and China. Currently the US is not slated to get the Regal.

GM has been shopping for a third Epsilon II plant for awhile now, and all indications are that the package the Canadian government provided them for Oshawa sealed the deal for them...

·
Registered
29 Posts
It is going to annoy me to no end if the Regal ( 'Buick' Insignia ) is sold in Canada but not available to us in the US.

Why not !?

·
Registered
7,418 Posts
It is going to annoy me to no end if the Regal ( 'Buick' Insignia ) is sold in Canada but not available to us in the US.

Why not !?
Do they have Saturn in Canada? If so, then it is not because of an Aura rebadge job. Would like to have the option of owning a Lift-Back Regal here in the U.S. I would take a Lift-Back Aura for that matter too.

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
A 'four door coupe' ala the Mercedes CLS could be a very viable Riviera and Buick's 'flagship.'

This new epi II chassis has some really doggy aspects to it - especially the cowl/firewall from hell. It looks like a minivan that was chopped and chanelled to become a 'sedan.'

·
Registered
167 Posts

great point never thought of it like that.

·
Premium Member
8,886 Posts
Woah. For a second there, I thought you meant that the Riviera is coming in CY '09.
That's what I thought, too. Almost knew what my new car in 2011 would be ... and then hopes dashed :(.

·
Registered
8,861 Posts
He said the new Buick will add about 100 hourly jobs at Fairfax, which will bring the union work force back to about 3,000 people. The new jobs will be filled by GM workers transferring to Kansas City, Kan., from idled facilities around the country, he said.
Good news to be adding jobs in a bad economy, even if they aren't as high paying as the ones being replaced.

“The capacity at Fairfax is about 240,000 units a year on two shifts,” he said. “When you add a third model to the strong-selling Malibu, as well as the Aura, it could be interesting to see how GM handles the situation if the market happens to pick up at all next year.”
When was the last time GM was faced with the problem of not having enough capacity for mid-sized car production? Actually, I take this as good news; things could definitely be worse.

·
Premium Member
8,886 Posts
At the moment it sounds like Oshawa will get the Aura. Oshawa will also likely get the Regal (Buick badged Insignia), which will be for Canada and China. Currently the US is not slated to get the Regal.

GM has been shopping for a third Epsilon II plant for awhile now, and all indications are that the package the Canadian government provided them for Oshawa sealed the deal for them...
How does this make any sense? The US should get the Regal.

Regal + Lacrosse + Enclave is a good 1-2-3. A great starting point to pull new sales in and maintain their existing clientele. Then, grow the make out a bit with a baby-Enclave and the Riviera and they've got a killer line up, even without a RWD Park Avenue.

Yeah, GM was quite happy with the deal the feds up here gave them. Glad it saved some jobs, and just in the nick of time, too, it seems. Hopefully there will be a strong enough demand for the vehicles. But I can't believe they'll be building the Regal only for Canada. The market's not big enough, unless they'll be exporting them to China?

·
Registered
803 Posts

The Riviera concept was based off the kappa architecture. It is a compact coupe like the Solstice. I think it would do very well as a compact coupe, sold in the 29K to 39K range.

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
5 Months from now isn't too long for the second Epsilon II; that's pretty darn quick!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts