GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here in the Detroit area, channel 7 news just had a special on the auto show.

It was sad, almost every person interviewed just went on and on about Ford and Chryslers' new vehicles.

They barely even mentioned GM's vehicles aside from the C6.

It's pretty sad to be so right. :(

·
Registered
237 Posts
Yah I seen that preview show on WXYZ Channel 7. That show was poorly directed. I've never seen soo much BS in my life. It's had the typical trash cast of just put on a smile and really not talk about anything but make a lot of noise.

I felt like I was watching Entertaiment reports talking about cars, wait a minute are entertainment reporters even a creditble reporters? <_<

I couldn't watch it anymore, I just changed the channel. The show was not balanced at all.

:flush:

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, to be fair the reporters were the same ones on the regular news.

And they did choose some nice cars like the Shelby Cobra, Ford Mustang, etc.

The whole "Tuner Car" segment made me laugh... it was mainly about teenage girls talking about their mad-tyte import cars with VTech. Literallly, teenage girls.

At least GM hasn't sunk low enough to really try to sell in that market.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
All the stuff I've seen about the show here-- granted I'm rather far from Det-- has been incredibly GM biased. Very few other cars from other automakers were even shown.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Originally posted by Mr_Pringle@Jan 10 2004, 03:56 AM
All the stuff I've seen about the show here-- granted I'm rather far from Det-- has been incredibly GM biased. Very few other cars from other automakers were even shown.
yeah, same here. On CNBC, they were all over GM's cars. All the analysits were saying GM is deffinatly on a rise in the next few years with thier incoming cars. The biggest was deffinatly the Vette as they kept s showing it over and over.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
I thought the show was ok, they didn't need the fashion scene or tuner but what alot of awsome cars this year.
They didn't forget about GM with the Lutz interveiw and all and the Solice. What did GM have there that was really new? The Malibu Colorado have already been ancounced. I think that is why they featured the Solice Nomad.
I did think the H3 would have been there though.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Well there was a reason they didnt show GM products as much as Ford and chrystler....Because we have nothing! The only thing worth Glancing at was the new corvette, and gto. o and the solstice......mabye. Look what ford has; an award winning line of f-150's, the gt40, mustang, shelby. And chrystler has the new crossfire and soon that ME 412 Concept that would KILL a vette in seconds.(yes some of this is the other car show but..)

The heart of the ME Four-Twelve is its all-aluminum, quad-turbo, 6.0-liter V-12 engine. With electronic sequential multipoint fuel injection and a 9.0:1 compression ratio, the ME Four-Twelve's AMG-developed engine delivers 850 bhp @ 5750 rpm, with 850 lb-ft. (1150 N-m) of torque between 2500 and 4500 rpm on premium unleaded fuel. The specific power output translates to 142 bhp/liter, and with a curb weight of just 2880 lbs. (1310 kg), the ME Four-Twelve has the weight-to-power ratio of 3.4 lbs/bhp - each of these sets new performance records and new benchmarks in the super car category.

And, befitting a machine that will play comfortably in the super car league, the performance of the ME Four-Twelve is stunning. In our projections and modeling, the ME Four-Twelve goes from 0-60 mph in 2.9 seconds, 0-100 mph in 6.2 seconds and it will blister through the quarter mile in 10.6 seconds at 142.0 mph. The estimated top speed of the ME Four-Twelve is 248 mph (400 km/h). The vehicle is designed and packaged to achieve outstanding thermal performance under extreme operating conditions. Its large capacity, high-efficiency engine-cooling system allows this engine to retain optimum thermal performance - a key advantage in the super car arena.

The 7-speed Ricardo Double Clutch Transmission was developed specifically for this vehicle and features the latest double wet-clutch technology and electronic control strategy. The exclusive ME Four-Twelve transmission delivers uninterrupted torque to the rear wheels with 200 millisecond shift times.

And the Gt40 would also leave a brand new vette in peices. See we have no exotics or super fast performance cars or anything worth comparing. I mean Motor trend compared the subaru impreza with the mustang(mustang lost woo hoo :lol: ) but with no camaro or chevelle (yet) we got no new material. The gto was cool for about a couple months and then it was an eye sore. And the xlr still is only 320 hp. not the 600 you see from ferrari or porsche. You see thats why. :brick:

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Originally posted by BBcamaroSS@Jan 11 2004, 02:38 PM
Well there was a reason they didnt show GM products as much as Ford and chrystler....Because we have nothing! The only thing worth Glancing at was the new corvette, and gto. o and the solstice......mabye. Look what ford has; an award winning line of f-150's, the gt40, mustang, shelby. And chrystler has the new crossfire and soon that ME 412 Concept that would KILL a vette in seconds.(yes some of this is the other car show but..)

The heart of the ME Four-Twelve is its all-aluminum, quad-turbo, 6.0-liter V-12 engine. With electronic sequential multipoint fuel injection and a 9.0:1 compression ratio, the ME Four-Twelve's AMG-developed engine delivers 850 bhp @ 5750 rpm, with 850 lb-ft. (1150 N-m) of torque between 2500 and 4500 rpm on premium unleaded fuel. The specific power output translates to 142 bhp/liter, and with a curb weight of just 2880 lbs. (1310 kg), the ME Four-Twelve has the weight-to-power ratio of 3.4 lbs/bhp - each of these sets new performance records and new benchmarks in the super car category.

And, befitting a machine that will play comfortably in the super car league, the performance of the ME Four-Twelve is stunning. In our projections and modeling, the ME Four-Twelve goes from 0-60 mph in 2.9 seconds, 0-100 mph in 6.2 seconds and it will blister through the quarter mile in 10.6 seconds at 142.0 mph. The estimated top speed of the ME Four-Twelve is 248 mph (400 km/h). The vehicle is designed and packaged to achieve outstanding thermal performance under extreme operating conditions. Its large capacity, high-efficiency engine-cooling system allows this engine to retain optimum thermal performance - a key advantage in the super car arena.

The 7-speed Ricardo Double Clutch Transmission was developed specifically for this vehicle and features the latest double wet-clutch technology and electronic control strategy. The exclusive ME Four-Twelve transmission delivers uninterrupted torque to the rear wheels with 200 millisecond shift times.

And the Gt40 would also leave a brand new vette in peices. See we have no exotics or super fast performance cars or anything worth comparing. I mean Motor trend compared the subaru impreza with the mustang(mustang lost woo hoo :lol: ) but with no camaro or chevelle (yet) we got no new material. The gto was cool for about a couple months and then it was an eye sore. And the xlr still is only 320 hp. not the 600 you see from ferrari or porsche. You see thats why. :brick:
...ok GM didnt have super fancy cars to show off, but they have plenty of new product coming out, more then anyone else.

The super car from DCX... please, thats not what chrystler needs right now, it needs to worry about sedans and how they are gunna pull up from the failing Crossfire and Pacifica. They are doing teh same thing as ford, not worrying about the product and making dazling cars! While GM is improving on gaining back market share, Ford and DCX are putting out mega hp super cars. The Viper is plenty for DCX right now. They need to work on new sedans and a coupe perhaps.
Ford, they have a few new cars out, but nothing exciting really. The 500 is alright looking, but not really all that amazing. The new mustang is nice, but bah its a mustang. 6 years behind the fbody in power and handling, bout time they caught up.
Now GM has many new cars to appeal to the rest of teh 90% of the buying public that buys cars with flare and power, just to get them from a to b. Look at the G6. How many cars does dodge or ford have that look that sporty? Who is acutaly making concpets, and not just keep on dreaming? Solstice: concept is now a production car. G6: concept, now a production car. GTO: an idea by bob lutz, now a prodution car. XLR: concept in many forms, now a production car, SRX: once a concept, now a production car. shall I go on? Curve: just came out as a concept, is not geting the green light for production. SSR: concept, now in production. SS silvarado: concept, now in production.

The GT40 might leave a C6 in its wake, but the Z06 will prove to be much harder, as it will weight 500lbs less, with equal hp. The GT will have to slide into the curves to try and escape the vette. And the Vette will be almost 100k less. If Hill is telling the truth, the Z06 is a super car that will scare away cars 2x its price. Who needs a 250k Cien, when for 55-60k, you can get a 500hp, 3000lb Vette? I agree, that the Cien is a great idea, but not where Caddy needs to be aiming right now. GM is in a time of restructuring and rebuilding after over a decade of penny pinching, ugly crap cars with zero zest.

·
Registered
4,723 Posts
Originally posted by BBcamaroSS@Jan 11 2004, 02:38 PM
Well there was a reason they didnt show GM products as much as Ford and chrystler....Because we have nothing!
Well, I just got back from the Detroit show last night and I have to say I was fairly impressed. I've been going to car shows since I was a teenager and this is the first time the American automakers had a larger volume of appealing production and concept cars than the rest of the world.

I was pleasanly surprised with GM. The Solstice looks very, very good and if they really bring it to market for US$20,000, I think it will do very well. The Nomad concept was a real favourite - if Chevy could bring it to market in a couple of years at a competitive price, I'd take a serious look at buying one.

The Corvette is far more impressive in person than in photos. They've leaned it down a bit - it looks like a dead serious performance car in person - very athletic and balanced. Yes, it's an evolution of the existing look, but with much better, balanced proportions and nice detailing.

The Cobalt also looks more impressive in person - nicely tailored and looking far more "rich" than previous J-cars. If they are priced competitively against the Civic and Corolla and prove to drive as sophisticated as they look, they may do very well. I had a similar impression of the G6 - it didn't blow me away, but - unlike that Grand Am - I could actually see someone choosing a G6 over an Altima, Mazda6 or other sporty/family sedan.

I'm still not crazy about the Malibu sedan's styling, but the Maxx has definite presence. If GM would only offer a manual transmission, it would be another car I'd give serious consideration next time around.

The show was also the first time I'd seen a XLR in person it it too has real presence. I may not yet be better than a Mercedes Benz, but it has its own look and personality and that alone would be enough reason for a lot a buyers to choose it. It certainly looks impressive and would be a great car to "arrive" in.

GM still has a whole sea of cars that didn't register, but it seems it is headed in the right direction with ample differentiation between divisions and new, focused products. If they can get the details right and don't let up, I'm sure they'll start to be able to sell on product rather than on price.

One side note - while a lot of the new GM cars were more impressive in person, the one surprising exception was the GTO. I say surprising because I was one of the few that liked what I saw in the photos - I thought it looked clean and mature. But, surrounded by other GM cars at the show, it kind of blended in. It certainly has a nice interior and undoubtedly is a great car to drive, but for a car brand new on the market, it doesn't really stand out. Given that I think many people will cross shop it with the new Mustang (which I think looks pretty damn spectacular), I think it's a good thing Pontiac only expects to sell around 18,000.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I didnt mean nothing as NOTHING i meant as super car wise......there is no high performance car in the GM line-up. Except the corvette. we should try to spring for the ferrari, viper, gt40 area and not the sedan, small car area because we have enough kickass cars (solstice, cobalt, Aveo [kinda] nomad, curve mabye ssr every saab monte impala etc. you know wheer im getting. gm should start to produce high performance cars again like in the 60's and 70's, bring the chevelle and camaro back, and make a 500+ hp Xlr or some super saab or an oldsmobile 442 with like 600hp before they stop making them. That would be cool. Thats what a meant.

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
I was at the Detroit show a week and a half ago, and I was more than a bit disappointed in the whole show. Nothing really stood out as being great. There was plenty of good...even more "seen it"...and that's about it. You'd think with over 60 introductions, they're be something great.

GM introduced the Corvette, Solstice, Curve, Nomad, and G6. Ford got more press because they introduced more volume production pieces like the Mustang, (updated) Focus, Five Hundred, Mariner, Mark LT, and Aviator. Chrysler introduced the Crossfire converitble, PT Cruiser convertible, Magnum, 300C, and updated minivans. It's no wonder GM was overshadowed.

After three days at the show, I was less than impressed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts